Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   the coldest beer..... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=25110)

Raven 08-01-2005 04:24 PM

the coldest beer.....

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

there was once a time when i drank rather heavilly and could never get my beer cold enough...or "so i thought anyway's". well one day, we had a dozen frosty mugs sitting in the freezer ready to go...and they had been in there for almost a week and went in there hot to have a real thick coating of ICE on them. that afternoon i put some freshly purchased beers in the freezer to chill a bit....and suddenly we decided to run to the super market to grab some steaks for the grill and got back in like twenty-five minutes.

it was a real hot day in the nineties and i was really thirsty.... now.... for
an ICE............ COLD............. BEER :drool:

i grabbed the ice cold beers out of the freezer and they were just starting to make ice inside the bottle...perfect! i thought....and i poured one into a super frosty mug and Guzzled it like there was no tommorow. :gu: down the hatch.... it went....all of it...

minutes later i was hurting SOOOO bad i was close to passing out
and was ready to call 911 ......felt like i was gonna die....
i literally froze my stomach so much, it was PAIN like i have never experienced before.....brutal ...and off the scale.

luckilly we had one of those rice filled sacks for a heat compress
called a" bed buddy" sold at wally world and i had the wife quickly microwave it , while i went thru agony....i placed it on my stomach and warmed up that beer until the pain subsided...it took 15 minutes.

now i chill my beer at a more reasonable temperature.....instead of like liquid nitrogen.....lol ,,, i lived and learned the hard way.

thought you might get a chuckle out of that story... :wavey: _Raven

BigFish 08-01-2005 04:28 PM

:buds: I like mine in a bottle, in a cooler full of cubes for at least 6 hours! :drool:

Backbeach Jake 08-01-2005 05:24 PM

I have this mini fridge that freezes the one beer in the far right corner. The rest are perfect! :drool: :buds:

Homerun04 08-01-2005 05:45 PM

ICE COLD BEER.............. :drool: :drool:

Squid kids Dad 08-01-2005 06:56 PM

Raven..Im with ya..Just not that cold... :drool:

tynan19 08-01-2005 08:26 PM

I am at work and your making me thirsty.

5/0 08-01-2005 09:13 PM

The first human Koozie!!!!!
Nice one.

"uffah!!" 08-01-2005 09:31 PM

Ice Cold Beer

When I was in the service, we use to use CO2 Fire Extinguishers to cool the beer. Does a real nice job. Just like they were in a fridge over nite.

Notaro 08-01-2005 10:06 PM

oohhh yeah, im dreaming of it...

Bass Babe 08-02-2005 12:42 AM

Perhaps it's my age, but if a beer isn't skunked or drooled on by some sketchy person, down the hatch it goes. If it's a bit cool, that's just a plus. :cheers:

Raven 07-01-2008 06:04 PM

cold is fine....ice cold is no longer desired

hi mr Guest :wave:

basswipe 07-01-2008 06:55 PM

32.1 degrees.

That's a tasty beer no matter what flavor.

Moses 07-01-2008 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny story Raven.

Ah, cold beer. So many ways to achieve this IF you have time. As Larry states, nothing beats an iced down cooler.

But....

One of my favorite "short time" methods is rolling the beer on a bed of ice. Takes a few minutes but boy does that do the trick.

The Dad Fisherman 07-01-2008 11:12 PM

Nothing better than a frosty brew that has been sitting in a cooler full of ice for hours....You know when you take it out and the ice water just rolls down the side of the can. :drool: and you pop it and it makes that pssshhhh sound and you know its going to go down in 2 sips :gu:....but not to worry, because there is another one just like it in the cooler...MmMMMmmmmM

stiff tip 07-02-2008 03:55 AM

coldest beer

toss ice on beer add salt water to chill dwn to app 30# ice cold:thanks:

Flaptail 07-02-2008 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiff tip (Post 601962)

Stiffy, your confusing beer with bait again, thats the recipe for keeping fresh dead "gwas" and herrin.

Rick Ackley 07-02-2008 06:23 AM

You guys are killin me here, drool all over the keyboard.

MrHunters 07-02-2008 06:59 AM

if you are a beer enthusiast, to get the full flavor of a beer you need to drink it at "cellar temperature" in a glass to release the flavors and gas.

ice cold beer hides flavors.

do a test get the same beer 3 times at three different temps and have someone do a blind taste test. I bet they will think they are drinking three different kinds of beers :drool:

Raven 07-02-2008 07:44 AM

i would think

that applies especially to ALES :btu:

fishbones 07-02-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

They tested this on Mythbusters a few years ago and this method was what they determined to be the fastest way to get the beer coldest. I'm just not sure if they used salt or fresh water. They also used the fire extinguisher method and just putting the beer in a freezer, but they didn't work as well.

HighTide 07-02-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHunters (Post 601975)
if you are a beer enthusiast, to get the full flavor of a beer you need to drink it at "cellar temperature" in a glass to release the flavors and gas.

I enjoy the flavor first , then release the gas later :hihi:

Rockport24 07-02-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 601959)
Nothing better than a frosty brew that has been sitting in a cooler full of ice for hours....You know when you take it out and the ice water just rolls down the side of the can. :drool: and you pop it and it makes that pssshhhh sound and you know its going to go down in 2 sips :gu:....but not to worry, because there is another one just like it in the cooler...MmMMMmmmmM

so damn true, one of my favorite things about camping is that you have to keep beer in an iced down cooler! I mean.. you just don't have a choice

BillyBlanks 07-02-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tynan19 (Post 298281)
I am at work and your making me thirsty.

Same here! Just got a keggerator at the house to remedy this issue......things havent been the same since!:cheers::buds:

MrHunters 07-02-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 601983)
that applies especially to ALES :btu:

good to see you back :wave::wave:

Squid kids Dad 07-02-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Having one now...:gu:

spence 07-02-2008 07:37 PM

The best beer I think I've ever had was a 125 degree Busch Light that had been sitting in a box in the sun for hours. We had just finished moving and that was the only beer we had.

Man, it was most excellent.

Temperature kills flavor, so an "ice cold beer" only serves to dumb down what should be a nice balance of malt and hops. For an American lager this might not be a bad thing, as the balance is iffy to begin with and the temp is refreshing.

For better beers a bit warmer (cool but not warm like high 50's) is best, and some I even favor in the low 60's.

A really nice option for light beers or even NA beer when refreshment is the motive, is to pour over ice with a few squeezes of fresh lime. Hell damn rath me but I'll even drink a can off Coors N/A this way!

-spence

FishermanTim 07-03-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 601998)
They tested this on Mythbusters a few years ago and this method was what they determined to be the fastest way to get the beer coldest. I'm just not sure if they used salt or fresh water. They also used the fire extinguisher method and just putting the beer in a freezer, but they didn't work as well.

They did three tests side by side.
1.) cans of beer on just ice.
2.) cans of beer in ice and water (fresh)
3.) cans of beer in salted fresh water with ice.
The verdicty was the salt water with ice, because the salt lowers the waters freezing point to below 32 F. (somewhere around 26F.)

fishbones 07-03-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 602284)
They did three tests side by side.
1.) cans of beer on just ice.
2.) cans of beer in ice and water (fresh)
3.) cans of beer in salted fresh water with ice.
The verdicty was the salt water with ice, because the salt lowers the waters freezing point to below 32 F. (somewhere around 26F.)

I remember them putting beer in a freezer and also using the fire extinguisher. Is it possible they did 2 different episodes on this?

chris L 07-03-2008 01:33 PM

We put em in the lab across the street where they have coolers full of dry ice . Cold beer instantly .

Rockport24 07-03-2008 02:15 PM

can I just say, Raven, that I never saw this thread orginally, but that is freakin hysterical man! not that you were in pain, but just the obsessive nature of your beer cooling