Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Olympic hockey (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=85076)

ProfessorM 02-15-2014 09:01 AM

Olympic hockey

1 1, great game

BigFish 02-15-2014 09:05 AM

We are all over on Facebook Paul......you have give yourself up to it!! LOL!!
:uhuh::rotf2:

Mike P 02-15-2014 11:14 AM

I still hate the shoot out, even when there's a good result.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM 02-15-2014 11:17 AM

me too Mike.

BigFish 02-15-2014 12:22 PM

I hate it so bad I almost always click the game off after the 5 minute overtime!!! Which I hate because they should be playing 5 on 5.....don't understand the 4 on 4 thing!!!

Sea Dangles 02-15-2014 02:30 PM

4 on 4 opens up the ice for more scoring opps Larry.Hoping to avoid the shootout.

That game was riveting!!!

BigFish 02-15-2014 02:38 PM

Play the game...play the overtime just as you played the game...5 on 5! I understand the premise....I just think it sucks!

Mike P 02-15-2014 04:20 PM

It's a necessary evil, though, in the Olympics, where you have only 4 teams in each group. You can't have games end in a tie, when only 8 teams go on to the medal round. But the medal round is like the NHL play-offs, and I think they should play until there's a winner decided by regular play, 5 on 5, like the NHL does in the play-offs. They have two different venues, so it's not like they have to squeeze in 4 quarterfinal games in one arena.

Slipknot 02-15-2014 09:14 PM

Yes great game,
Lucky the USA won
If not for the goal off its' mooring by an inch, it would not have gone to overtime

I saw one of Biteme's relatives score a goal :D

goosefish 02-18-2014 02:09 PM

Slovakian game---Best period of hockey I've seen this olympics.

goosefish 02-18-2014 02:22 PM

That's the game. Chara coming home.

USA vs CZE tomorrow.

ProfessorM 02-18-2014 08:04 PM

What about USA out shooting Sweden 70 to 9. Hard to even imagine that.Most lopsided game I have ever heard of.

Clogston29 02-19-2014 02:20 PM

sucks that US and Canada will meet in semis instead of finals. hopefully it will be the noon start on Friday. I feel a cough coming on, may have to bang in sick for that one.

Mike P 02-19-2014 03:25 PM

Except for blowing out Austria in the prelims, Canada hasn't exactly been lighting the goal lamp. 2 goals on 57 shots today, against a goalie who hasn't played a single NHL game, and who was the 124th overall pick in last year's draft. Currently playing in the ECHL. :D

nightfighter 02-19-2014 05:04 PM

Tuuka and the Finns take out Russia! But that did not look like the committed Russian squads we are used to seeing, at least from what I saw, which was only the third period. I'm guessing that every member of the Russian team is making plans to play out their careers and live out their retirement in North America.......

Will Tuuka be able to steal a gold here?

nightfighter 02-19-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 1032365)
Except for blowing out Austria in the prelims, Canada hasn't exactly been lighting the goal lamp. 2 goals on 57 shots today, against a goalie who hasn't played a single NHL game, and who was the 124th overall pick in last year's draft. Currently playing in the ECHL. :D

Think we could see that kid in a Tampa Bay sweater pretty soon.... Yzerman had a pretty good view of him in that game. Babcock will probably try to trade for him.

goosefish 02-19-2014 05:37 PM

I like these match ups. The swedes and the fins have got to be rivals--their neighbors. I'm excited to see that game. It should be back-and- forth wide open European style hockey. Go Rask.

If the US plays and puts the puck in the net by all the different players that have scored and if Canada plays the way the have been--then I'm going with USA winning gold.

However, you watch, Canada shows up and plays their best game of the Olympics against us and we go down with a loss.

nightfighter 02-19-2014 05:51 PM

Looking at this tournament strictly from goaltenders, the US has to ride with Quick in goal. It would be crazy not to. And I would rather have him over Price or Luongo..... Now a gold medal game against Rask.... I can't pick one over the other.
But getting past Canada is going to be tough. Very physical game will take a lot out of whoever wins going into the final. I'm not convinced the Americans will look as good vs. Canada as they have leading up to this game. They definitely won't have as much room to operate. The Kane, Kessler, and Oshie line is due to light it up. Let's hope it is against the Canadians.

Clogston29 02-20-2014 07:06 AM

Canada will be tough. Usa has looked good against nobodies. Russia out played them for significant portions and easily could have won. Should be entertaining.

Bronko 02-20-2014 08:26 AM

During the selection process, the US team was widely panned by the pundits. But it appears the approach to build a team with a number skilled guys as well as a group of sand paper guys is paying off. Its no secret that players despise playing against the likes of Dustin Brown, Ryan Kessler, David Backes and Ryan Callahan. The above named all have strong offensive capabilites but are relentless defensively and torture you physically the entire game. The Olympic style has always been the "big ice" all offense, all skill mentality. This US team although highly skilled is built around physical defensively responsible players. Tomorrow's game against Canada should be unbelievable.

Piscator 02-20-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronko (Post 1032453)
During the selection process, the US team was widely panned by the pundits. But it appears the approach to build a team with a number skilled guys as well as a group of sand paper guys is paying off. Its no secret that players despise playing against the likes of Dustin Brown, Ryan Kessler, David Backes and Ryan Callahan. The above named all have strong offensive capabilites but are relentless defensively and torture you physically the entire game. The Olympic style has always been the "big ice" all offense, all skill mentality. This US team although highly skilled is built around physical defensively responsible players. Tomorrow's game against Canada should be unbelievable.

Pete, great post. Hit the nail on the head. I can't remember an Olympics with so many blocked shots. All these guys are making sacrifices.

Hopefully the ladies win today.

nightfighter 02-20-2014 09:18 AM

Still have a little problem rooting for Phil Kessel... B's traded him for two first round picks that ended up being Tyler Sequin and Doug Hamilton. Kessel seems to have matured in the defensive scheme (he had zero interest in backchecking when he was here) and has shown that he is a world class sniper in this tournament.

Swiss women are a minute away from upsetting Sweden for the Bronze

fishbones 02-20-2014 09:54 AM

The loss of Tavares is going to hurt the Canadian team, but they have a lot of depth. Should be an exciting game.

Mike P 02-20-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1032372)
Think we could see that kid in a Tampa Bay sweater pretty soon.... Yzerman had a pretty good view of him in that game. Babcock will probably try to trade for him.

Yeah, as Ben Bishop's back-up. You don't dump the best goalie in the East right now for a maybe, based on his Olympic performance. But his trade value probably went up. Jimmy Howard is the US' #3 goalie, but Babcock might have some interest in the Latvian to replace Jonas Gustavsson as the back up---although he is Sweden's #2 goalie in Sochi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goosefish (Post 1032378)
I like these match ups. The swedes and the fins have got to be rivals--their neighbors. I'm excited to see that game. It should be back-and- forth wide open European style hockey. Go Rask.

If the US plays and puts the puck in the net by all the different players that have scored and if Canada plays the way the have been--then I'm going with USA winning gold.

However, you watch, Canada shows up and plays their best game of the Olympics against us and we go down with a loss.

Sweden-Finland is a bigger rivalry than Bs-Habs. ;)

The Finns haven't played the wide-open European game. They've been grinders, like the US D.

nightfighter 02-20-2014 04:23 PM

US vs. Canada stakes

1 Attachment(s)
Things just got real, yo. Let the games begin.

rphud 02-22-2014 04:07 PM

Hey, I heard PJK was actually backchecking in the Latvia game!