Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Coronavirus / COVID-19 Thread (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=96242)

JohnR 03-12-2020 07:44 AM

Coronavirus / COVID-19 Thread

Joking and politics aside, let's have a Corona Thread.

Most of you I have known long enough to know many of us fit into the concerned zone WRT Awareness. For those of you young enough and in good health, you can still transmit this to your folks / grandparents / neighbors. This is serious enough that large organizations are shutting down large events (20k seat NBA games, March Madness) and some are going crowdless or suspending operations for an undetermined length of time.

From what I am seeing from FSTM (Folks Smahhtah Than Me), the social distancing does a few things.

First and foremost it throttles back the amount of spread, helping to prevent healthcare and emergency services from being overwhelmed.

For example: Wuhan did not implement harsh social distancing / disease control measures until a month into the known epidemic in the city. They peaked at 9600 new ICU/Hospitalized cases per day. Guangzou and other larger but infected cities peaked much lower as they implemented harsh social distancing / disease control measures much earlier in the outbreak.

This is why we need to lock down and severely limit our interactions with people for the foreseeable future. People will get sick, but by spreading out the infection over a longer period of time this will reduce peaks, lessen the chance of overwhelming our Emergencies Services / Hospital Personnel (they have families too), and keep supplies on hand for those that are truly sick.

Next: WASH YOUR #@#$$#$@!@@ Hands ; )

Soap is apparently very effective at killing the virus.

Don't touch your face with your hands, don't pick your nose ; )

Work remotely if you can.

Let's have some REASONABLE discussion on this.

Sea Dangles 03-12-2020 08:36 AM

Youngest boy is home until at least Monday. I am happy to see BC high trying to prevent the spread.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JFigliuolo 03-12-2020 09:52 AM

My workplace has always been WFH friendly and is now encouraging it, for all the obvious reasons.

Slipknot 03-12-2020 10:11 AM

I wash my hands a lot anyway but I also touch my face and won't be able to stop that. I can pick my nose with a tissue and then wash my hands. I also will clean doorknobs a lot more often. I am lucky to work at home most of the time. My folks are in Fla so that is a good thing.

I think some good common sense is in order and the world will get through this.

niko 03-12-2020 10:26 AM

Mass bass and rissa shows have been cancelled

RickBomba 03-12-2020 10:54 AM

Social distancing and wash your hands is the best advice.

I think at this point it's in the wild at this point, so there's nothing else that you can do. It's a pretty good way of keeping the flu away, so I'm not really doing anything different.

We're still in the office for now. I can work remotely without a problem.

My wife, on the other hand, is in the service industry. Nothing you can do about that part, which sucks.

Katie 03-12-2020 11:05 AM

I'm thankful that I have my own office, and we don't deal with the public, so the risk is pretty low. We do have a couple people that travel but not too many. Lots of hand washing and sanitizing. Touch my face too much during the day to stop it now.

FishermanTim 03-12-2020 12:01 PM

No touching your face?
Why, where has your face been that it would pick up a virus that the rest of the body didn't?
I'm not joking...if you maintain healthy habits (eating and hygiene)
you should be ok.

My big question is "Where did this originate" and "How did it originate"?
Was it a case of poor health practices in Asia? Was it caused by one specific disease crossing species to mutate into this current virus?
Was it man-made or just a fluke of nature?

Is it as dangerous as the media makes it sound, or has it been "glamorized" to make news stories get better viewer ratings?

All I can say is you can advise about "social distancing", but you know nothing short of Martial Law and curfews will stop some groups of people from ignoring basic safe health practices in this event.

ivanputski 03-12-2020 12:13 PM

The school I work at is probably a day away from closing down the district for 10 day minimum. my guess is, that in 10 days this will low up bigger than now, and we will be out indefinitely until an all clear is issued... who knows when that will be.

Clammer 03-12-2020 12:22 PM

I,M AFRAID THE DAY CARE WILL BE CLOSING & that will equal a total failure after 22+ years & along with that the building will foreclosure …….…. not enough reserve to cover the length of time & done throwing money in ><><:mad::mad:

JR LMK if we are going out / I, om here for a while ><

Got Stripers 03-12-2020 01:44 PM

Cancelled our 24th of March flight to a Fort Myers this morning, no golf, no beach and no snook charter. Not what we wanted to do, but we just felt better safe than sorry, airlines/Petri dishes are bad enough during cold and flu season and this was just not worth the risk. Not a problem on the refunds, although a friend sold us the condo for ten days and it’s going to be an challenge getting that money back.

Katie 03-12-2020 02:00 PM

Just got the "Just in case" email here at work. They're working out the details, but looks like we're possibly working from home in the next week or so.

JohnR 03-12-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clammer (Post 1187579)
I,M AFRAID THE DAY CARE WILL BE CLOSING & that will equal a total failure after 22+ years & along with that the building will foreclosure …….…. not enough reserve to cover the length of time & done throwing money in ><><:mad::mad:

Sorry to hear this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clammer (Post 1187579)
JR LMK if we are going out / I, om here for a while ><

Probably not - currently way behind on what I need to do :wall:

Slipknot 03-12-2020 02:13 PM

Meeting canceled tonight

The Division of Marine Fisheries is cancelling its March 12, 2020 public hearing scheduled for 6PM at MA Maritime Academy. This action is being taken in response to the venue's decision today to cancel all outside events. Due to this late timing and uncertainty surrounding the current public health situation, this hearing is not being rescheduled. We apologize for any inconvenience this unforeseen change in circumstances may have caused.

Instead, DMF is extending the written public comment period through Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5PM. All interested parties are encouraged to submit written comments. DMF has posted the public hearing document, presentation, and memoranda to the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission regarding each proposal on its website. DMF’s policy staff may be reached by phone at 617-626-1520 or via e-mail at marine.fish@mass.gov if you have any questions about the proposals.

Please submit all written comments to the attention of Acting Director Dan McKiernan. Comments may be submitted by e-mail to marine.fish@mass.gov or by post to 251 Causeway Street, Suite 400, Boston, MA 02114. Comments are to be submitted by March 18, 2020 at 5PM.

Pete F. 03-12-2020 02:38 PM

Just came back from a meeting in the Adirondacks with Arch from Manhattan, one from Westchester, Eng from Burlington and two people from our office.
I didn't shake anyone's hand but one of the Architects as soon as she arrived wanted to shake everyone's hand.
I said sorry, but I've sworn it off for the time being.
Everyone's office is trying to figure out what to do and how much work is going to disappear, the Eng had a job cancel this am and a little discussion about past recessions where half the office was let go.
Hoping we all muddle thru as best as possible but be careful out there.

Guppy 03-12-2020 03:33 PM

Went off cape to a Stellwagon Bank fisherman’s meeting the other night to hear a presentation from a DMF guy... (exceptionally good one I might add) and felt uneasy the entire time....

Glad they cancelled the MMA for tonight, I was going! Dah

Take care of yourselves everyone, we’re honker in down this side of the ccc bridge....

JohnR 03-12-2020 03:43 PM

I saw that MSBA and RISAA shows are canceled. This is prudent.

Sea Dangles 03-12-2020 04:15 PM

Fidelity just told everybody to work from home for the next 30 days. Yikes!

Raider Ronnie 03-12-2020 04:27 PM

Everyone needs to chill.
The vaccine is available ��

zimmy 03-12-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 1187574)
No touching your face?
Why, where has your face been that it would pick up a virus that the rest of the body didn't?
I'm not joking...if you maintain healthy habits (eating and hygiene)
you should be ok.

If you get the virus on your hands, then wipe or itch your eyes, you are transmitting the virus to an entrance site. Same for picking your nose or wiping your mouth. Very common vector for transmission.

wdmso 03-12-2020 04:34 PM

No picking your nose ... Iam doomed

Got Stripers 03-12-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187624)
Everyone needs to chill.
The vaccine is available 😜

No shock you would take a serious thread to inappropriate, good for you feel better now?

Raider Ronnie 03-12-2020 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1187627)
No shock you would take a serious thread to inappropriate, good for you feel better now?

Much better 👍
On the upside there are some deals to be had because of this hoax

Got Stripers 03-12-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187628)
Much better ��
On the upside there are some deals to be had because of this hoax

Stop snorting bunker oil it’s fu*ked you up, John requested a rational discussion and you bring your political forum antics over, don’t you have gear to clean and get ready?

BEETLE 03-12-2020 05:02 PM

Posted by John, Please respect the request.
Thank You and God Bless all ...

Joking and politics aside, let's have a Corona Thread.
Let's have some REASONABLE discussion on this.

BEETLE 03-12-2020 05:08 PM

I just returned from the local BJs store, parking packed, no carts, got inside lines were insane at checkout, no water and if they had it only 2 per customer, no toilet paper, or other high profile items as sanitizer, other popular items as in frozen section items no or low stock. seeing panic in some faces. Walked out empty handed will go back tomorrow at opening bell.

BEETLE 03-12-2020 05:13 PM

Agree with J R prudent move to cancel the shows, was supposed to help a friend with his booth at the show and was not comfortable being in a show crowd. No disrespect intended to anyone !

Raider Ronnie 03-12-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1187629)
Stop snorting bunker oil it’s fu*ked you up, John requested a rational discussion and you bring your political forum antics over, don’t you have gear to clean and get ready?

Political forum antics ?

Bunker oil is good stuff !
I thought my 2 post were pretty funny.
& I’m too busy doing fiberglass & gelcoat work to new boat to clean gear, that’s my 2 sons job.

Ian 03-12-2020 06:11 PM

I was supposed to go to the Masters this year...

Got Stripers 03-12-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 1187641)
Political forum antics ?

Bunker oil is good stuff !
I thought my 2 post were pretty funny.
& I’m too busy doing fiberglass & gelcoat work to new boat to clean gear, that’s my 2 sons job.

Funny stuff, businesses will fail, hourly wage earns will not make the rent, students lives turned upside down, not to mention their parents lives that relied on them being in school so they could work; funny stuff. No cure for stupid.