Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   clothing advice for kids ice fishing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94551)

Jim in CT 12-15-2018 03:21 PM

clothing advice for kids ice fishing

taking my 12 year old
and 9 year old ice fishing for first time january 5. going with a guide who will have a heated tent. my 9 year old is sensitive to the cold, but he has decent ski clothes that are goretex. jacket and bibs and a good hat.

any clothing suggestions? he has waterproof boots he goes sledding in, but they aren’t great. should
i get him insulated boots, or just thick socks and foot warmers for his sled boots?

any suggestions, clothing or itherwise, would
be appreciated.

i can not wait for this...

niko 12-15-2018 05:03 PM

Job lot sells cheapo slide on cleats or buy the llbean ones if you think they’ll use them in the future- have fun
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F. 12-15-2018 06:22 PM

Buy some hand foot warmers
The one time use kind
As long as the tipups are spread out and you have fish they’ll keep warm running
Jigging in a shanty is usually plenty warm

t.orlando 12-16-2018 06:13 PM

Sunglasses a must for me

JohnR 12-17-2018 09:04 AM

Make sure the feet are warm and dry - nothing will get a kid miserable like a slow day on the ice with cold / wet feet.

Nothing will get you in trouble with the bride faster, too

The Dad Fisherman 12-17-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1157557)
Make sure the feet are warm and dry - nothing will get a kid miserable like a slow day on the ice with cold / wet feet.

Thats the key right there, taking care of the feet. No cotton socks, wool or wool/poly blends only. As PeteF mentions, feet warmers as well, I use the toe warmers and they work well.

A nice poly base layer, like an Under Armor, will help keep them warm too.

Jim in CT 12-17-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1157562)
Thats the key right there, taking care of the feet. No cotton socks, wool or wool/poly blends only. As PeteF mentions, feet warmers as well, I use the toe warmers and they work well.

A nice poly base layer, like an Under Armor, will help keep them warm too.

thanks TDF and John R -

the guide also said to pay attention to hands and feet. will do.

tdf you have given me some good advice in ice fishing over the years. if this trip goes well ( guide seems very nice and kid friendly), I’d like to take my 9 year-olds cub scout den. seems like such a great way to get kids outside in the winter. i can not wait.

i will be heading to cabelas this week to get ice grippers for their boots, as well as hand and foot warmers, and probably better socks.

Jim in CT 12-17-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1157505)
Buy some hand foot warmers
The one time use kind
As long as the tipups are spread out and you have fish they’ll keep warm running
Jigging in a shanty is usually plenty warm

thanks pete. i am hoping to see them running from tipup to tipup. guide wants to do some jigging to.

Rockfish9 12-17-2018 12:36 PM

To add to what others have said, mittens. ..2 pairs...children have a way of getting them wet or loosing them...give each one a small hand towel. .
It is the easiest way to keep hands warm and dry. ..I stitch velcro loops on mine do they can go through a belt loop...as far as.
The boots go, feet stay drier longer if you wait to put them ( and the socks)on until you get to your destination. .chap stick and sunscrren... I've seen some pretty good sunburns from the reflection off the sun and snow...it also keeps their skin moisturized to minimize dry chapped skin..