Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Super Spook (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=55737)

Rockfishroger 03-07-2009 11:13 PM

Super Spook

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a large wood super spook I finished today,need to work on tyeing trailer hooks now:uhuh:

numbskull 03-08-2009 06:43 AM

Looks huge. At what angle does it float? I think you will find that most spooks have better action without the drag of a dressed tail......though I'm not sure about one that big. Should be a fun plug to fish, nice job with it.

BIG TIM 03-08-2009 10:16 AM

Nice job!

Rockfishroger 03-08-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 671794)
Looks huge. At what angle does it float? I think you will find that most spooks have better action without the drag of a dressed tail......though I'm not sure about one that big. Should be a fun plug to fish, nice job with it.

NS Thanks,I have only floated it once in the wifes koi pond :rolleyes:and havent really been able to fish it yet,seems to ride a little heavy from the head.
Think Im going to nix the dressed single hook to a trebble on the rear,its 7"1/2 long 1"round.I think I shound have weighted it in the rear .

Big Tim...Thanks for the kind words.

numbskull 03-08-2009 08:13 PM

Tail weight it so it floats at about 45%.....good place to start.

Rockfishroger 03-08-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 671951)
Tail weight it so it floats at about 45%.....good place to start.

Thanks....will do

JFigliuolo 03-09-2009 07:05 AM

I made an 8" this year...awsome action. Mine float slightly tail down, but not much. Play w/the weight until you get the action you like. Definitely drop the tail. I used 2 belly hooks. no tail hook. I MIGHT use a small treble in the back if it's absolutely necessary (which I doubt).

I would make 2-3 (if not more) naked and mess with the weights before finishing them. I found moving the weight around as little as 1/2 inch made a big difference.

Here's what I did.
1. Made 3. One belly weighted, one tail weighted, one in between.
2. Took the best of the three. Moved the weight again.
3. Action better? Continue.
Action worse? Move weigth in other direction.
4. Action better? continue moving weight.
5. repeat as necessay until optimimum placement is found.

6. Try w/ MORE weight.
Better? add more.
Worse? add less.
7. Continue until optimum weight is found.

8. Finally - IS THE PLUG ACTION WHAT YOU THINK WILL HAMMER FISH?
Yes... Make a bunch.
No? Mess w/ shape, line tie location, hook locations and start back at step 1.

Does this take a long time? YES
Is it worth it? YES.

A good looking plug w/poor action is a cologne on a pig.