Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Gloucester hearing report (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=70206)

buckman 04-02-2011 06:13 AM

Gloucester hearing report

About 200 attended. Plenty of great speakers from the ABTA, along with Scott Browns camp. This fight is not over and I would expect to see more guys at the Fairhaven hearing.
The hypocracy from NOAA is astounding. To push for an ESA listing while saying there are so many tuna out there that the PLL fleet can't help but catch 160mt is beyond me.
The PLL fleet should clean up there own problem, although I don't believe their dead disgards come even close to the 160 mt that NOAA wants to give to them.
Even PEW is against this. Most likley because rewarding bad fishing practices only will make the problem worse. If this passes then next year will be worse.

thefishingfreak 04-02-2011 07:06 AM

Thanks for the update
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BasicPatrick 04-02-2011 07:42 PM

NOAA is not pushing ESA by any means...An ESA petition was filed and although BS NOAA must respond as the law states. Just trying to get accurate info out there.

buckman 04-03-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicPatrick (Post 848925)
NOAA is not pushing ESA by any means...An ESA petition was filed and although BS NOAA must respond as the law states. Just trying to get accurate info out there.

The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) has petitioned NOAA for an ESA listing for BFT. NOAA has entertained that petition.
Don't for one minute believe this ESA listing won't happen if we sit on the sidelines. Alot of effort has gone into fighting this very real petition. I urge everyone to join ABTA and stay informed and active.

keeperreaper 04-03-2011 08:53 AM

Good turnout on Friday. Thanks to all those that went. The day we sit on the sidelines on this issue will be the day we should get a membership at a country club and sell the gold reels.

buckman 04-03-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperreaper (Post 848957)
Good turnout on Friday. Thanks to all those that went. The day we sit on the sidelines on this issue will be the day we should get a membership at a country club and sell the gold reels.

Speaking of that...let's play 9 today!

BasicPatrick 04-04-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 848955)
The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) has petitioned NOAA for an ESA listing for BFT. NOAA has entertained that petition.
Don't for one minute believe this ESA listing won't happen if we sit on the sidelines. Alot of effort has gone into fighting this very real petition. I urge everyone to join ABTA and stay informed and active.

Buckman...now I agree with you completely but I sure hope that the comments at the meeting in Gloucester were focused on the long line quota issues and not the ESA petition because the hearing was about the longline quota issues and any comments about the ESA petition were a waste of breath at that particular hearing. Winning this issue is all about understanding how rulemaking works and making the right moves. ABTA puts out great info but make no mistake if you took the ABTA talking points form the ESA hearings and used them at this hearign it was a huge mistake. This round of hearings is about giving the longliners our fish. Do not make the mistake of confusing the two issues or we will loose on both points.

Mr. Sandman 04-04-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperreaper (Post 848957)
....will be the day we should get a membership at a country club and sell the gold reels.

Seriously, This thought has actually crossed my mind...... I got the club membership and plan to use it more this season, I still have the fishing gear but fishing (not just tuna but all fishing) is going it a direction that I can no longer stomach. Don't get me wrong, I love to fish, probably more than any activity, I enjoy many aspects of it but this divide and conquer approach the lawmakers have taken have destroyed fishing IMO. I honestly don't see anything good they've done when you look at the big picture. Step back and look at each species one by one and then look at the entire picture, it is not getting better .

I am going thru the motions again this year but I see the end.

Where is my 60 deg wedge????

buckman 04-04-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicPatrick (Post 849205)
Buckman...now I agree with you completely but I sure hope that the comments at the meeting in Gloucester were focused on the long line quota issues and not the ESA petition because the hearing was about the longline quota issues and any comments about the ESA petition were a waste of breath at that particular hearing. Winning this issue is all about understanding how rulemaking works and making the right moves. ABTA puts out great info but make no mistake if you took the ABTA talking points form the ESA hearings and used them at this hearign it was a huge mistake. This round of hearings is about giving the longliners our fish. Do not make the mistake of confusing the two issues or we will loose on both points.

The meeting was all about PLL and the quota.Our side clearly knew the issue and explained our position.
Little FYI, The Sea Shepard and ilk have set their sights on the Atlantic PLL fleet.The PLL fleet needs our support also.

Typhoon 04-05-2011 07:10 AM

Just bought new golf shoes just in case.

Sea Flat 04-06-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 849261)
Little FYI, The Sea Shepard and ilk have set their sights on the Atlantic PLL fleet.

Holy crap!! Are you serious?