Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Glad I'm not a native of Puerto Rico (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92855)

Got Stripers 09-30-2017 11:24 AM

Glad I'm not a native of Puerto Rico

Trump put that mayor in her place, the nerve of a woman questioning him stating things are going swimmingly. Rub salt in the wound and kick the dog while she's down, man I can't believe what that clown tweets at times. The US mainland response being top rate is about as believable as Trump and the upper percentile of earners not benefiting from the new tax plan.

spence 09-30-2017 11:52 AM

He does find a way of impossibly reaching new lows.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

scottw 09-30-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1129013)
He does find a way of impossibly reaching new lows.

the problem is...if you haven't been paying attention.....it works for him....why should he change?...he filthy rich....he's wife is smokin' hot and he's freakin' President of the United States....somehow...and I honestly don't understand how.....being a complete knucklehead brings him success heaped upon success...why would he change anything???

spence 09-30-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1129014)
the problem is...if you haven't been paying attention.....it works for him....why should he change?...he filthy rich....he's wife is smokin' hot and he's freakin' President of the United States....somehow...and I honestly don't understand how.....being a complete knucklehead brings him success heaped upon success...why would he change anything???

Why would you defend it?

trevier 09-30-2017 01:12 PM

I feel bad for those people after what they went thru. But that island was a disaster waiting to happen. In debt up to their eyeballs, and it was only a matter of time before a storm like that rolled over that place doing massive damage.

PaulS 09-30-2017 01:21 PM

I wonder what the added cost of the Jones Act is on an annual basis to the island?

scottw 09-30-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1129017)
Why would you defend it?

how did I defend it?

"being a complete knucklehead"

just said he's been this way for a very long time and it's always worked for him, what motivation would he have to change and why would you expect different?

scottw 09-30-2017 05:25 PM

and speaking of knuckleheads

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz

“Hello, San Juan. Freedom for Oscar Lopez Rivera.. soon he will be with us. We have to thank every Puerto Rican man and woman, who for a long time, many of us didn’t know Oscar Lopez Rivera. He was fighting the fight,” she said.

“We’re going to give you more details when we welcome this great Puerto Rican patriot in a cause that unites us and to know that, in spite of our differences, we can do big things in this country,” she continued.

Yulin Cruz added, “This great celebration is going to be in the streets and it is going to be extraordinarily large. So do come by starting Thursday to celebrate what our hearts scream for. Thanks, President Obama. Long live Oscar Lopez Rivera.”

Lopez Rivera was sentenced to 35 years in prison for his involvement in the FALN, a Puerto Rican separatist group that was responsible for more than 100 bombings in the U.S. during the 1970s and 1980s.

Jim in CT 10-02-2017 11:30 AM

There are also mayors of other towns in PR saying that there is a lot of US aid there, and that the mayor of San Juan, has not been attending the FEMA meetings.

Again, I don't like Trump. But I'm not sure he's sitting on his hands doing nothing, or taking glee in the "genocide" that the mayor says is taking place.

After the winds and seas calm down, you'd think this would be a fairly simple exercise.

Jim in CT 10-02-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1129024)
how did I defend it?

"being a complete knucklehead"

just said he's been this way for a very long time and it's always worked for him, what motivation would he have to change and why would you expect different?

in which calling someone a "complete knucklehead", is defending him.

wdmso 10-02-2017 01:19 PM

We can't get water and food to PR in 12 days .. but some making excuses on the why's it's taken so long. Are the same people who expected the government and the military to prevent the 4 deaths in benghazi in 13 hours it's only easy in the movies

DZ 10-02-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevier (Post 1129018)
I feel bad for those people after what they went thru. But that island was a disaster waiting to happen. In debt up to their eyeballs, and it was only a matter of time before a storm like that rolled over that place doing massive damage.

Hit the nail on the head. Very poor infrastructure to begin with. Tried to get by on the cheap without making necessary upkeep. Those residents will have a long road and their taxes will skyrocket. Will be interesting to see just what the federal government will fund.

Jim in CT 10-02-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1129135)
We can't get water and food to PR in 12 days .. but some making excuses on the why's it's taken so long. Are the same people who expected the government and the military to prevent the 4 deaths in benghazi in 13 hours it's only easy in the movies

"We can't get water and food to PR in 12 days"

Some say there's lots of water and food there. What if the people who say otherwise (and that's a very big 'if' at the moment), are only saying so, to make him look bad? Other mayors are saying that significant aid is there.

It's like this nutjob librarian in Mass who turned down Melania Trump's books because she says, Cat in a Hat is racist. I am sure she considers herself a liberal hero for saying that. But as we now know, she's a hypocrite, as there are photos of her dressed as Cat in a Hat, reading that book to kids.

People hate this guy, in a way we haven't seen before. No doubt, he brings a lot of that on himself. But the response he triggers, well, we haven't seen anything like it before. No matter what he does, he's wrong, and evil, and racist, and Hitler.

I'm not defending the federal response to PR. I'm saying that the answer you get about the aid sent, depends a lot upon who you ask.

JohnR 10-05-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1129135)

SO Navy stages three Gators their before the storm, starts prep. Then leaves to avoid the storm, comes back next day and starts moving gear. They start ramping up the Mercy (which takes 10 days I'm told) and getting hospital staff up and provisions which can't stay on ship. AF and guard units started prep to move down.

Side note, the Mercy Hospital ship was mostly excess and did very little in Katrina or Haiti earthquake.

Was it enough, fast enough? No. But is more than anything they've had to do in years. There was no infrastructure to move much of anything, roads are wiped out, little communications. The only way to move stuff was rotary wing and that does not move a lot.

But the Navy has less ships and manpower than since before WW2 and they are severely stretched as it is. But they still went.

Do they get an A? No. C+ ? Probably.

Maybe a C- when you put Trump's statements in.

Slipknot 10-05-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1129418)

But the Navy has less ships and manpower than since before WW2 and they are severely stretched as it is. But they still went.

And most of us know why that is right?

Got Stripers 10-05-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1129424)

That's a scary problem or reality in today's environment

JohnR 10-05-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1129424)

Sure - 5 years of continuing resolutions after a 10% budget slash after spending money on stupid sh!t. Lump in REALLY bad decisions by Navy requirements (LCS, DDG1000), cutting the fleet without suitable replacement (Sprucane Cans and Perry FF(-g) ), mix in green fuels and Social Justice Warrior training....

Totally unrelated to this thread:

Quote:

​The Defense Department is delaying the deployment of additional US forces to Afghanistan as a result of the “finite number” of US transportation aircraft, which are currently in high demand Stateside following the recent hurricanes in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, in testimony earlier this week, said the military’s response to storms such as Hurricane Maria has shown it is “all hands on deck” in helping American citizens. This, in turn, is delaying future operations

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/...ployments.aspx

JohnR 10-07-2017 09:59 AM

In an ironic twist, USS Iwo Jima was not able to respond early enough due to propulsion issues. Again, the fleet and crews are being tun hard.

Got Stripers 10-07-2017 05:48 PM

Trump is such a smuck, watching him have fun with the pronunciation of Puerto Rico, he is just such an empathetic individual.

Nebe 10-07-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1129552)
Trump is such a smuck, watching him have fun with the pronunciation of Puerto Rico, he is just such an empathetic individual.

What an embarrassment. Really... people said Obama was an amembarasmsnt for being the apologist but I will take an apologist over a douche any day of the week. Can you imagine if Trump was black ? Or a woman? There would be riots over his douchery

scottw 10-07-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1129553)

Really... people said Obama was an amembarasmsnt for being the apologist

calling someone an amembarasmsnt is racist

The Dad Fisherman 10-07-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1129556)
calling someone an amembarasmsnt is racist

See what extended exposure to glass fumes do to a person.

Nebe 10-07-2017 08:14 PM

Happy to provide you guys with the typo orgasm. :)

PaulS 10-08-2017 10:04 AM

It is an embarrassment when his own secretary of state is quoted as calling him a moron and he doesn't deny it.

Nebe 10-08-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1129580)
It is an embarrassment when his own secretary of state is quoted as calling him a moron and he doesn't deny it.

Bingo !

detbuch 10-08-2017 10:32 AM

By now, I would have thought that everyone has accepted that Trump is a moron. Maybe it took Tillerson a while to get it. Even so, Tillerson says he doesn't want to resign. I guess he doesn't consider Trump's version of a being a moron very significant.

Nebe 10-08-2017 10:39 AM

The biggest moron is the person who voted for this clown

Sea Dangles 10-08-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1129586)
The biggest moron is the person who voted for this clown

That's a lot of morons, including me. I am not happy with him,yet I have no regrets given the alternative.

PaulS 10-08-2017 11:26 AM

This is just "the calm before the storm".

Raider Ronnie 10-08-2017 11:53 AM

Got to love all the LOOSERS who would rather the usual pos lying politician in office than someone who talks like the average pissed off American who is sick & tired of lying politicians who do nothing but feed you bull#^&#^&#^&#^& while making themselves filthy rich !