Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Iran (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95230)

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 06:34 AM

Iran

shot down a us drone yesterday. Getting very provocative. we need someone’s help (japan?) to walk things back. been a foreign policy challenge for decades, no easy solutions.

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 07:01 AM

Cheeto will fix it fear not🤮
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wdmso 06-20-2019 07:25 AM

This is the key who's being provocative. is the Drone us thinking they won't shoot it down or the shooting down of the drone. it's a trivial reason to go to war over loss of equipment ... it only takes 1 luckly shot to change history

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1168933)
This is the key who's being provocative. is the Drone us thinking they won't shoot it down or the shooting down of the drone. it's a trivial reason to go to war over loss of equipment ... it only takes 1 luckly shot to change history

the drone was in international
waters, not over iran. they shot it down, they attacked two tankers last week. pretty clear who’s being provocative, isn’t it?

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168930)
Cheeto will fix it fear not🤮

what would
Obama have done? send them
another jet full of cash in the
middle of the night? does that work with maniacs?

no easy solutions to this one, none of the past several presidents, includes both parties, accomplished much good in that region.

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 07:33 AM

I want to know if it was over international air space, if it was then Trump’s comment saying it was a minor incident is all about his thinking process for his 2020 re-election. You pulled out of the deal, you hit them in their pocket book thinking they would re negotiate (not happening) and now you have to deal with the ramifications. Not a good situation.

PaulS 06-20-2019 07:33 AM

If it wasn't so scary it would be laughable watching this Admin. telling Iran to adhere to the Nuclear agreement Trump backed out of.

Sea Dangles 06-20-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168936)
I want to know if it was over international air space, if it was then Trump’s comment saying it was a minor incident is all about his thinking process for his 2020 re-election. You pulled out of the deal, you hit them in their pocket book thinking they would re negotiate (not happening) and now you have to deal with the ramifications. Not a good situation.

This shows you are paying attention,that’s good. Can you now explain the last time we experienced a good situation with Iran?

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 07:48 AM

Never, but we have never had such a thin skinned reactionary president in office either, so my comfort level is lower then it would be for any other similar situation in the past.

Pete F. 06-20-2019 07:49 AM

I thought he said he would have the best people.
In the WH you have Bolton and Pompeo, who have both pushed for regime change in Iran for years and Senator Cotton is in Trump's ear to attack Iran.
In the Pentagon, we have neither a secretary nor a deputy secretary of defense. The secretary of the Army, who has very little background in strategy—his previous government position was a sixth-degree deputy assistant secretary—is now the acting secretary. And just for good measure, the secretary of the Air Force post is also vacant.

As of now, the leading candidate for the top job at defense seems to be Veteran Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie, who misled the Congress during his hearings on his ties with pro-Confederate groups and whose first job was working for the late Senator Jesse Helms.

The current secretary of the Navy has zero strategy background and came from the private sector. We don’t have an Undersecretary for Readiness and Personnel as services are failing to meet their recruitment goals and are struggling with retention more than ever. We don’t have an assistant secretary for International Security Affairs which concerns the Middle East and European security—even as tensions with Iran are rising and Russia is trying to test deterrence in Europe while the president publicly undermines NATO.

America’s security is in jeopardy and no one is minding the store. Literally.
Don't you feel safer now.

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168940)
Never, but we have never had such a thin skinned reactionary president in office either, so my comfort level is lower then it would be for any other similar situation in the past.

what evidence is there, to suggest that a more polished, academic, diplomatic president, would get better results with Iran. Carter was a very nice man, right? Iran steamrolled him, humiliated him, made him look like a castrated eunuch.

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 08:01 AM

Don’t confuse them about Trump shirking his duties to appoint good people and fill post desperately needed, it’s all about how good the economy is; we all know a Trump is 100% responsible for that🤮

scottw 06-20-2019 08:08 AM

trump is still better than any of the alternatives :bl:

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 08:10 AM

Boy is your bar low.🤢

scottw 06-20-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168947)
Boy is your bar low.��

name one

Posted from my OBAMAPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 08:36 AM

We talking past presidents, we talking candidates, even as much as I disliked Hilary; with her experience I’d be far more confident. This isn’t a reality TV show, you can’t stop the filming and do a retake.

scottw 06-20-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168952)
We talking past presidents, we talking candidates, even as much as I disliked Hilary; with her experience I’d be far more confident. This isn’t a reality TV show, you can’t stop the filming and do a retake.

"alternatives"....I don't think past presidents are an alternative particularly the dead ones

Posted from my OBAMAPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 09:09 AM

Well throw a dart and you will hit someone with more experience than this reality TV star.

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168956)
Well throw a dart and you will hit someone with more experience than this reality TV star.

if that’s all he is, how did he annihilate the most inevitable winner ever, and why is the economy doing so well?

Sea Dangles 06-20-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1168940)

Sorry to hear your comfort level has been altered. How does it feel?

spence 06-20-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1168942)
what evidence is there, to suggest that a more polished, academic, diplomatic president, would get better results with Iran.

How about the JCPOA. A deal sanctioned by the global community, a deal that Trump's own Jim Mattis praised as having robust enforcement and a deal that the IAEA said was working as planned.

It didn't fix everything but was a solid foundation to address significant issues. Now we're flirting with a conflict that could easily spiral out of control. I do wonder how much SA is really behind most of this.

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1168967)
How about the JCPOA. A deal sanctioned by the global community, a deal that Trump's own Jim Mattis praised as having robust enforcement and a deal that the IAEA said was working as planned.

It didn't fix everything but was a solid foundation to address significant issues. Now we're flirting with a conflict that could easily spiral out of control. I do wonder how much SA is really behind most of this.

what about that deal ( sincere question) would have incentivized them not to attack the tankers?

spence 06-20-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1168969)
what about that deal ( sincere question) would have incentivized them not to attack the tankers?

I know of no other deal other than the 12 items of total capitulation demanded by John Bolton via the State Department.

Jim in CT 06-20-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1168970)
I know of no other deal other than the 12 items of total capitulation demanded by John Bolton via the State Department.

no i said that poorly, i wasn’t referring to another deal. i was asking about the deal you mentioned, i was wondering if that deal would
have put us in a better place right now.

Got Stripers 06-20-2019 01:03 PM

Well the deal until Trump pulled us out was working and tankers weren't being blown up and our 100 million dollar drones weren't being shot out of the sky, so I guess that was a rhetorical question. Loved Trumps more recent remarks stating he believes the drone attack was unintentional, done by someone doing what they shouldn't be doing, there is a guy who's finger is on the pulse of the world stage and with a full understanding of the chain of command and ramifications in this country and our foes.

JohnR 06-20-2019 01:26 PM

We are talking about the same Iran that was blowing up our kids in Iraq? Causing Sh1t in Yemen, SA, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Isreal, Gaza, West Bank - that Iran?

They shot down an unmanned drone in International Airspace. Sounds like a US Navy BAMS-D according to smart people. This is the Navy's testing version of the USAF Global Hawk which the Navy will procure for Maritime Reconnaissance.

Fortunately it was unammaned, so that the response, if physical, does not need to be excessive.

Keep the sanctions going, keep the pressure on. Not worth kicking in Earnest Will Part Deaux.

wdmso 06-20-2019 01:50 PM

Not sure why people are surprised with this shoot down. What usually happen when you put an entire nation in a corner... they bite they push back .. trump had choices with Iran he chose to go it alone.. Europe wont be all in like Iraq ...

JohnR 06-21-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1168994)
Not sure why people are surprised with this shoot down. What usually happen when you put an entire nation in a corner... they bite they push back .. trump had choices with Iran he chose to go it alone.. Europe wont be all in like Iraq ...

So Wayne, what is your recommendation for dealing with Iran?

Got Stripers 06-21-2019 08:34 AM

Having a leader who doesn’t read, doesn’t like or believe what he hears in briefings, governs by tweet and even goes so far as to warn Iran we are about to strike is NOT how this situation gets diffused. IF that drone was downed in international airspace a strong president would have immediately responded militarily, Trump is a paper Twitter tiger, growls loudly, but has no claws or bite. He brought this on himself and he is clueless on how to deal with it. Middle East problems demand understanding, diplomacy and military strategy which escapes Trump across the board.

Sea Dangles 06-21-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1169025)
Having a leader who doesn’t read, doesn’t like or believe what he hears in briefings, governs by tweet and even goes so far as to warn Iran we are about to strike is NOT how this situation gets diffused. IF that drone was downed in international airspace a strong president would have immediately responded militarily, Trump is a paper Twitter tiger, growls loudly, but has no claws or bite. He brought this on himself and he is clueless on how to deal with it. Middle East problems demand understanding, diplomacy and military strategy which escapes Trump across the board.

Maybe you are qualified as an advisor. Lots of great,unexplored ideas here.👍🏿