Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   US Ambassador killed in Libya (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=79156)

JohnR 09-12-2012 07:05 AM

US Ambassador killed in Libya

U.S. ambassador to Libya Killed - CNN.com

Quote:

The United States ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens, was killed in a rocket attack on the U.S. Consulate in the city of Benghazi on Tuesday, President Obama said Wednesday.

Fishpart 09-12-2012 07:11 AM

I'd like to recommend a campaign stop for Barak and Joe since they don't have an hour to meet with the Netanyahu

Jim in CT 09-12-2012 07:26 AM

These Muslim extremists are true barbarians. Someone they don't know posts something on youtube they don't like, and the response is to massacre the next Americans they see. Forget the fact that these Americans had nothing to do with the video.

JohnR, sometimes, in my weak moments, I think we should launch a few missles and turn that desert into glass.

Off topic, but I also thought it was interesting to hear Obama say "
the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others..."

Really? Then why do liberals say that Catholics are waging war on women, simply because the church doesn't want to be forced to provide that which it teaches is immoral? Isn't that denigrating the religious beliefs of others?

PRBuzz 09-12-2012 07:47 AM

Everything is now OK: "Libya's Prime Minister Abdurrahim el-Keib apologized "to the American people and the government, and also to the rest of the world" for the "cowardly criminal act.":smash::smash::smash::smash:

BTW there were 3 others killed:

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton identified a second victim as Sean Smith, a Foreign Service information management officer who was a ten-year veteran of the State Department, a husband and a father of two.
The two other victims have not been named.

Nebe 09-12-2012 07:54 AM

Bastards
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR 09-12-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 958350)
These Muslim extremists are true barbarians. Someone they don't know posts something on youtube they don't like, and the response is to massacre the next Americans they see. Forget the fact that these Americans had nothing to do with the video.

JohnR, sometimes, in my weak moments, I think we should launch a few missles and turn that desert into glass.

Absolutely agree. I fear the world is heading down a scary path where the Arab Street gains Democracy. These people make Trailer Trash look like MIT postgrads

Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure... Yes, in weak moments it is the easy path. But we are supposed to be better than that and reality kicks in. Now, should nuke's fall into the sure and steady hands of the Arab Street...

Quote:

Off topic, but I also thought it was interesting to hear Obama say "
the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others..."

Really? Then why do liberals say that Catholics are waging war on women, simply because the church doesn't want to be forced to provide that which it teaches is immoral? Isn't that denigrating the religious beliefs of others?

Jim - I agree with you probably more than I disagree but can we not have all of these threads devolve to X -v- Liberals

Piscator 09-12-2012 08:42 AM

If they didn't have oil, they would have nothing

Jim in CT 09-12-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 958357)
Absolutely agree. I fear the world is heading down a scary path where the Arab Street gains Democracy. These people make Trailer Trash look like MIT postgrads

Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure... Yes, in weak moments it is the easy path. But we are supposed to be better than that and reality kicks in. Now, should nuke's fall into the sure and steady hands of the Arab Street...

Jim - I agree with you probably more than I disagree but can we not have all of these threads devolve to X -v- Liberals

John, I am trying to tone it down. I thought I was stating facts without a lot of commentary.

JohnR 09-12-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 958364)
John, I am trying to tone it down. I thought I was stating facts without a lot of commentary.

Maybe I'm slow to notice the change :rotf2:

Jim in CT 09-12-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 958369)
Maybe I'm slow to notice the change :rotf2:

My hope is that you notice soon...

I'm surprised that in certain parts of the world (THAT part of the world), state department officials don't have secret service-quality protection. That's what they deserve...

Nebe 09-12-2012 11:36 AM

Maybe the 2 others were secret service style body guards?

buckman 09-12-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 958408)
Maybe the 2 others were secret service style body guards?

3 others and I'm thinking marines maybe

Scuttlebutt 09-12-2012 04:11 PM

I'm so glad we "extended our hand" to these barbarians. Too bad they didn't "unclench their fists".

Raven 09-13-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

I think we should turn that desert into glass.

Off topic, but ............................................

*Something a handful of scientists haven't quite wrapped their collective heads around
is the discovery of sand fused into glass
by a nuclear explosion from our distant past....

Apparently this isn't our first rodeo.... :uhuh:

FishermanTim 09-13-2012 11:48 AM

Wouldn't it just take the cake if this were a clandestine case of "Wag the Dog", in an attempt to bolster low/bad poll numbers?

You can't tell me that it couldn't be possible, since similar claims were made against Bush (war for oil?).

When the "experts" make claims that the attacks were too coincidental to just be random attacks, and they weren't all-out, "balls to the walls" attacks using conventtional weapons, it makes you wonder what was the purpose of the attacks?

Just food for thought....

RIROCKHOUND 09-13-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 958537)
*Something a handful of scientists haven't quite wrapped their collective heads around
is the discovery of sand fused into glass
by a nuclear explosion from our distant past....

Apparently this isn't our first rodeo.... :uhuh:

Or of course, it could just be from an impact event, not some theory of ancient aliens.....

nightfighter 09-13-2012 11:56 AM

One of the dead was a former Navy SEAL, raised in Winchester, with family now in Woburn. RIP warrior, and prayers for the family.

striperman36 09-13-2012 02:17 PM

All these people know is war, they've fought among the tribes for centuries.
It's no different now, just at a global level.

Not sure what precipitated the Bengazi incident, other an isolated tribalism.

PaulS 09-13-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpart (Post 958343)
I'd like to recommend a campaign stop for Barak and Joe since they don't have an hour to meet with the Netanyahu

Seriously - you'd want to send our President into an area where Americans who were bravely serving our country were just killed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 958548)
Wouldn't it just take the cake if this were a clandestine case of "Wag the Dog", in an attempt to bolster low/bad poll numbers?

I agree - the Christian Right had to know that this would inflame tensions in the Muslim world and w/Romney's low poll numbers maybe they thought some dead Americans would help Romney's poll numbers - sad to have that type of thinking.

JohnR 09-14-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 958570)
I agree - the Christian Right had to know that this would inflame tensions in the Muslim world and w/Romney's low poll numbers maybe they thought some dead Americans would help Romney's poll numbers - sad to have that type of thinking.

What did the Christian Right have to do with this to get dragged in to the conversation?

BTW - Got the Cuttyhunk Flask open :rotf2:

Fishpart 09-14-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Seriously - you'd want to send our President into an area where Americans who were bravely serving our country were just killed?

Not really, would put not only him but also a lot of brave patriots who are protecting him in danger...

PaulS 09-14-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 958629)
What did the Christian Right have to do with this to get dragged in to the conversation?

I'm going to generalize in all my posts today.:)

From what I heard the nutjob who produced the video was a Coptic Christian (which means some of their churches will prob. be burned down in Egypt soon) who was associated w/that whack job Terry Jones (I believe that was his name). He is the one who had a day to burn the Koran about a year about?

BTW - Got the Cuttyhunk Flask open :rotf2:

Fill it w/whiskey for the Boy Scout trips:)

sokinwet 09-14-2012 09:21 AM

This is a section of an article posted by a facebook friend. Kind of interesting in light of the recent Libya tragedy....shows that everything isn't as black and white as it sometimes appears. Tyler Stark was a navigator in an F15 shot down over Libya; he was also a survivor of Colombine. Please no arguments...I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. ;-)

" The soldiers from the Libyan rebel militia who found Tyler Stark weren’t entirely sure what to make of him, as he didn’t speak Arabic and they didn’t speak anything else. At any rate, he didn’t seem inclined to talk. The Libyans were now of course aware that someone was dropping bombs on Qad#^&da#^&fi’s troops, but they were a little unclear about who exactly was doing it. After taking a good long look at this pilot who had fallen from the sky they decided he must be French. And so when Bubaker Habib, who owned an English-language school in Tripoli, and was then hunkered down with fellow dissidents in a hotel in Ben#^&gha#^&zi, received the phone call from a friend of his in the rebel army, the friend asked him if he spoke French. “He tells me there is a French pilot,” says Bubaker. “He’s crashed. Because I spent 2003 in France, I still have some French words. So I said yes.”

The friend asked if Bubaker would mind driving the 30 kilometers or so out of Ben#^&gha#^&zi to talk to the “French pilot,” so they could figure out the best way to help him. Even though it was the middle of the night, and you could hear bombs exploding and guns firing, Bubaker jumped in his car. “I found Stark sitting there, holding his knee,” says Bubaker. “He was, to be honest with you, frantic. He doesn’t know what is going on. He was surrounded by the militia. He doesn’t know if they are friends or enemies.”

“Bonjour,” said Bubaker, or maybe not—he has forgotten the first thing out of his mouth. But in response Tyler Stark said something and Bubaker instantly recognized the accent. “Are you American?” asked Bubaker. Stark said he was. Bubaker leaned over and told him that he actually had friends in the U.S. Embassy who had fled in the early days of the war, and that if Stark would come with him back to Ben#^&gha#^&zi he could put them in touch. “He looked at me, astonished,” remembers Bubaker.

On the drive to Benghazi, Bubaker sensed that Stark was both shocked and wary. At any rate, as much as Bubaker might have wanted to know more about why America was dropping bombs on Libya, Stark would not tell him. And so Bubaker put on some 80s music and changed the subject to something other than war. The first song that came on was Diana Ross and Lionel Richie singing “Endless Love.” “You know what,” said Bubaker. “This song reminds me of my second marriage.” They talked the rest of the way, says Bubaker, “and we didn’t mention anything of any military action.” He drove the “American pilot” back to the hotel and instructed the militia to surround the place. Even in Libya they understood the fickle nature of American public opinion. “I told them, ‘We have an American pilot here. If he gets caught or killed it’s the end of the mission. Make sure he is safe and sound.’” Bubaker then called his friend, the former staffer in the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, now removed to Washington, D.C.

It took a few hours for someone to come and fetch Stark. As he waited with Bubaker inside the hotel, word spread of this French pilot who had saved their lives. When they’d arrived at the hotel a man had handed Tyler Stark a rose, which the American found both strange and touching. Now women from across the city came with flowers to the front of the hotel. When Stark entered a room full of people they stood up and gave him a round of applause. “I’m not sure what I was expecting in Libya,” he says, “but I was not expecting a round of applause.”

Jim in CT 09-14-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 958637)
Fill it w/whiskey for the Boy Scout trips:)

Paul, first of all, a movie that diaparages a religion is not justifiable reason to commit acts of terrorism.

Second, latest reports suggest that the Libyan attack was a planned operation, and had absolutely nothing to do with the youtube video.

RIROCKHOUND 09-14-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 958671)
Paul, first of all, a movie that diaparages a religion is not justifiable reason to commit acts of terrorism.

Second, latest reports suggest that the Libyan attack was a planned operation, and had absolutely nothing to do with the youtube video.

And it also appears it was likely not an organic thing from the general population of Libya

Jackbass 09-14-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Wow how is the Kool Aid

justplugit 09-14-2012 10:59 AM

So this is how Obama protects American lives, he only attends %50 of daily
intelligent meetings. Instead he reads the briefs, with the last meeting he attended
leading upto 9/11 was 9/5.
Oh that's right, I forgot how intelligent he is. Guess he forgot that truly intelligent
people realize how much they don't know and depend on others to interact with,
to question and learn more from.

PRBuzz 09-14-2012 11:16 AM

Not KFC :fury:

Embassies stormed, KFC torched as anger over anti-Islam film rages

U.S. and other Western interests were targeted by angry crowds across much of the Muslim world on Friday, as rage spread over an anti-Islamic video produced in California.

The only reason various parts of the world tolerate the US is the many the BILLIONS & BILLIONS of $$$$$ the US "donates" every year to those countries. Let's start withholding those $$ for use at home or truly friendly allies.

PaulS 09-14-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 958673)
Wow how is the Kool Aid

Did you even read the post I quoted?

Jim in CT 09-14-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 958672)
And it also appears it was likely not an organic thing from the general population of Libya

What's your point?

I concede that not every single citizen of Libya wants to kill Americans. Not every single Muslim wants to kill Americans. But there are, what, 2 billion Muslims in the world, so if 1% are sympathetic to the cause of jihadists, that's 20 million jihadists. The fact that there are peaceful Muslims out there, doesn't make me feel better. In fact, it makes me feel worse, because if every single Muslim was a jihadist, then the problem would be very easy to solve...reduce the nuclear aresnal by a few warheads...