Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   i have a question (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=6021)

mrmacey 02-11-2003 05:16 PM

i have a question

what is the difference with bait casters and spinners before i go getting myself into something thats gonna break the bank again!! i figure its a whole new style of fishing but ive never used a conventional for casting ive used the big reels for bottom but nothing like this little abu what kind of rod compliments this reel i really have no clue its like casting, trolling, jigging,chunking,plugs,eels,is there one rod and reel set up that handles more than one style!:smash:

capesams 02-11-2003 05:36 PM

They both have their place in the world of fishing. I use conv. most of the time , but I do alot of live bait. chunking heads,no lead, eels, large swimming plugs, an some lead head jigging.
spinning on very windy nights, lt plugs, and at the end of the season I pick up the spinning for some eel fishing cause I get lazy.

If I was going to have only one conv. outfit it would have to be the 9' batson 1088 with a calcutta 400. the worst thing anyone can do is to buy a cheap conv. reel, you'll get nothing but agravation and get pissed off at it an call it quits. an not to say anything of wasteing your $$$.

mrmacey 02-11-2003 06:05 PM

i found this abu 5000

for short money is it worth getting a good rod to compliment this ill be useing it more on the boat so 9ft is kinda big i figure ill use braid, use this for jigging fluke or stripers like thames type fishing,light gear fishing, i like the idea of rubber split tales with this!! thanks! for info a rod in the 7ft range with backbone to pull a 20 lber! is probably what im looking for!

Mr. Kav 02-12-2003 07:37 AM

I rarely find the need to cast far away from the boat and the 7ft and 7.5 fters that i use are more than adequit for me to throw a chunk into the rocks, troll, and bottom fish. just my .02

IFG 02-22-2003 10:02 PM

Response to question

Times

in your situation sir I would go with a heavey conventional with a good level wind and medium retrieve and stick to a conventional
make sure your line selection matches your application and reel selection and you will find your boat filled with big fish

mrmacey 02-23-2003 07:04 AM

i think i found the perfect rod for this

got it at the boat show for 10.00 a southbend says 10-25 lb line weight medium action graphite nice light 6ft rod would you guys put braid or just mono on this!!

Fishpart 02-23-2003 09:19 AM

I like braid. You just need to be careful becuse the braid can overload the rod a lot faster than mono, just keep the tip below 45 degrees and use the drag and you should be OK.

If you plan on fishing plastic and jigs like GS you should definitely put braid on, it helps with the feel.

bloocrab 02-24-2003 12:14 AM

..MrMacey...

..you wanna be careful with SouthBend. I've bought some SouthBend products in times of crisis...<<hardware>> and it's failed me more than once.

example: Swivels busting open on fish . . . :smash:

..it don't pay not to be prepared. Bloofish leader sleeves opening up on fish...losing PLUGS!!

..be careful, you get what you pay for -

Bloo

JohnR 02-24-2003 08:36 AM

MM - do you know yet what you want to do? What are you going to fish? You say jiggin like the Thames. You really won't do much of that other than in winter at the Thames. If you are looking to throw lighter plugs or plastics to surface bass & blues, use spinning. If you are going to be drifting bigger baits, big plugs and some casting with these, a good conventional is almost always better for big fish. But there is a learning curve if you intend to really cast them. And you'll want a spinner to back it up as you learn

mrmacey 02-24-2003 08:58 AM

hey john

i think i got a rod for anything now, from catching little macks to 100lb tuna, boat or surf, what ever the application calls for, now i only have one problem, i have to learn how to use all this stuff the right way this bait caster is disposable 18.00 for whole set up one birds nest over it goes!! lol!:D but i can say one thing im prepared this season i got 2 more things i want a good fishfinder and my garage for boat and ill be complete for at least 10 minutes! i found a gps on ebay i hope its worth it APELCO RAYMARINE RATHEON GPS 11
got it for 75.00 handheld talked to seller he says he used it nothing but good feedbacks on him so ill see when it comes but im ready when we going out!! :happy: :happy: :happy: ill bring my 500lb worth of gear and we'll go learn lol!!

Got Stripers 02-24-2003 09:12 AM

MM braid rules and the Thames is about the only time I'm not fishing it. My usual set up is 30# spiderwire braid, to an 80 lb spro swivel, 24-34 inch 30 lb segar fluro leader to the hook/jig.

Speaking of braid, anyone have any experience with Tuffline, I got a spool of 30# at the raffle and it looks good, but looks can be....

mrmacey 02-24-2003 09:25 AM

i dont know whats up

1 Attachment(s)
but every night i let her out she comes home with this!! dont know what shes doin out there but i tell her YOU GO GIRL!!! daddy needs braid!:D

Fishpart 02-24-2003 09:27 AM

MM, Can I babysit your dog for a while???????????????

denis 02-24-2003 10:10 AM

Never liked babbysitting,but any puppies on the way????

capesams 02-24-2003 12:28 PM

gs....tuffline is what I use for cod fishing/jigging.....its good to me.

MAC 03-06-2003 03:16 PM

Chances are if the rod only cost $10.00 it has aluminum eyes. Braid will eat through these in a couple of outings.

"uffah!!" 03-18-2003 12:02 PM

Eel for Striped Bass

1 Attachment(s)
What type of casting equipment do I need to use these eels for Striped Bass?