Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Good Wood (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94518)

Got Stripers 12-04-2018 12:32 PM

Good Wood

1 Attachment(s)
When you burn a lot of wood, you keep your eyes peeled for those new downed trees or large limbs that are easily harvested. Got lucky in a failed development nearby we walk thru occasionally and noticed a large oak had lost a couple large limbs. Good for two full pickup bed fulls, but boy you notice your getting old, when you have to start cutting it into 16" lengths to carry 30 yards to the truck. Oak is great for the wood stove, but man is that stuff heavy. The base where the leader broke off was filled with carpenter ants, that section didn't come home.

piemma 12-04-2018 01:12 PM

I hear ya. I cut almost every day. Sometimes for myself, sometimes at the golf course and sometimes for homeowners. 99% of the time it's Oak.
Keeping me in great shape.

RIROCKHOUND 12-06-2018 12:06 PM

Who are you kidding, you guys are both too old to have good wood...
(Sorry the joke was just hanging there to hit)

:D:D:D:D:D

Got Stripers 12-09-2018 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1156953)
Who are you kidding, you guys are both too old to have good wood...
(Sorry the joke was just hanging there to hit)

:D:D:D:D:D

I might need a pill to get as hard as some of this wood, but I swear I do get a woodie spliting good oak. Man the stuff weighs a ton and beats you up getting it cut and in the truck, but the stuff splits like a dream. Paul will appreciate at the same time I'm working in getting a good lag to develop that power off the tee:). I'm old school, love to get at the splitting ax and have at it.

Slipknot 12-09-2018 12:13 PM

Bob, if you need more wood, I have a bunch of maple from last spring all cut
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 12-09-2018 12:22 PM

Sure I'm an NRA (never refuse anything) member and good hardwood is an easy call. Snap a photo and send me a pic, if you can with your good hand, that was a close call Bruce. I've had my own stupid power tool moment with a chop saw, didn't loose a finger but got a nice ten stitch cut on the top of my wrist.

Slipknot 12-09-2018 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have a good hand but I have 8 good fingers still.
Sounds like a close call Bob, glad it wasn't worse.

here are a couple pics for you
can't load both but there is a lot more, I can text you I guess, do you still have the same number?

nightfighter 12-09-2018 08:17 PM

Good thing you don't heat with wood Bruce.....

Got Stripers 12-09-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1157136)
I don't have a good hand but I have 8 good fingers still.
Sounds like a close call Bob, glad it wasn't worse.

here are a couple pics for you
can't load both but there is a lot more, I can text you I guess, do you still have the same number?

Looks good, if it came down last year, it's probably already somewhat dry, I'll text you and we can set up a day this week. I know you throw a lot of wood, but I only use it to fire up the wood stove:), if you need any plastic let me know and I'll bring some on down. Just let me know what you like and I'll see if I have it, lot's of left over inventory, but I don't pour any longer.

piemma 12-11-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1157114)
I might need a pill to get as hard as some of this wood, but I swear I do get a woodie spliting good oak. Man the stuff weighs a ton and beats you up getting it cut and in the truck, but the stuff splits like a dream. Paul will appreciate at the same time I'm working in getting a good lag to develop that power off the tee:). I'm old school, love to get at the splitting ax and have at it.

I agree. Splitting wood does help your golf game. I'm using a 10# splitting maul.

Raven 12-11-2018 06:34 PM

we scored this today

1 Attachment(s)
free on craigs list
another one tomorrow
2 + cords well seasoned total :bounce::laugha:

nightfighter 12-11-2018 07:04 PM

Seems you have to be retired to have the time to "harvest" all this wood......

Got Stripers 12-12-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1157290)
Seems you have to be retired to have the time to "harvest" all this wood......

You got that right, been burning wood in one Vermont casting wood stove or another since the 80’s but only since I retired did I have the time. It good exercise and obviously I’m saving money.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 12-14-2018 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up several bed fulls of Bruce's downed maple from last year, thanks again Bruce and good to see you again. I forgot that router bit I was going to give you, we can hook up down the road. I haven't attempted splitting the base and first eight feet of that bad boy, but it made a great splitting platform.