Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Whale of a morning (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97433)

Got Stripers 05-13-2021 01:58 PM

Whale of a morning

1 Attachment(s)
Latest project this morning, ready for staining and sealing after a couple days to dry out a bit. Next project I think a nice 50lb striper about to attack a couple bunker, although a neighbor is bugging me for an owl, but I haven't seen any deposit so I'm moving on.

nightfighter 05-13-2021 02:58 PM

What are you using for lumber and marrying?

I might have to get back into some table making when I can do a few hours in the shop....

redlite 05-13-2021 04:07 PM

How do u have time for carving with keepin that grass so perfectly green
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 05-13-2021 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1211115)
How do u have time for carving with keepin that grass so perfectly green

You wanna see green? :hidin:

Like the whale, nice design.

Got Stripers 05-13-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1211110)
What are you using for lumber and marrying?

I might have to get back into some table making when I can do a few hours in the shop....

White pine eight to ten foot planks I got from a mill in Walpole, which I cut in half, most are two foot by five foot and about two inches thick. Run a skill saw shallow to make it appear to be five independent boards, will seal with driftwood gray oil based stain.

beamie 05-13-2021 05:05 PM

That’s nice. I do like the shark better.
Originally looking at the shark I didn’t realize that design went all the way thru the wood
I thought it was just carved down and then burnt with a torch for contrast.
I a little worried about the strength of the shark teeth area since it goes all the way thru.

nightfighter 05-13-2021 05:45 PM

Wait, Bob... You are getting 8/4 to 10/4 thick planks somewhere close to 23 inches wide???? How much per linear foot? That is exactly what I need to source for table tops. And I am doing that to avoid it looking like four or five boards glued up......

Got Stripers 05-14-2021 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1211120)
Wait, Bob... You are getting 8/4 to 10/4 thick planks somewhere close to 23 inches wide???? How much per linear foot? That is exactly what I need to source for table tops. And I am doing that to avoid it looking like four or five boards glued up......

See them routinely of yahoo marketplace, this guy was selling black walnut which I didn’t want, but he agreed to mill me some pine. Got a large half round and four eight foot planks for under $200. PM me on what you are looking for and I will reach out to him. Just search live edge planks on yahoo marketplace and dozens pop up, you will likely find someone up near your neck of the woods.

Got Stripers 05-19-2021 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sprucing up the new cottage with the two latest.