Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Knot for mono to braid for tuna (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=57663)

roy50 06-11-2009 10:51 AM

Knot for mono to braid for tuna

I have a question for people that have successfully caught BFT on spinning gear. I've been tuna fishing on the Cape for the past two seasons. I use spinning rods to cast at tuna and I run 50lb. braid to a 60lb or 80lb fluorocarbon leader. I've had trouble finding a good knot so I've been using a barrel swivel but this make casting extremely difficult when your using a 6 foot plus long leader. I need a knot that is strong enough to withstand the pressure of fighting a bft and will also pass through the guides. I tried using the slim beauty knot but this knot weakens and breaks after being repetitively cast through the guides. My friend tried using a Mid knot but this knot got destroyed by the guides as well. (I'm not sure if he tied the mid knot correctly though)? I've tried using a uni to uni and an Albright but I don't feel these knots hold well with a thin braid to a thick mono. Anyone try the Alberto knot? One charter captain said he uses a triple surgeons knot but I just can't imagine this knot having a high break strength? Any suggestions would be great.
Thank You

keeperreaper 06-11-2009 11:51 AM

Best knot for this is the slim beauty. Google it. Easy to tie and goes through guides great.

Speedy Too 06-11-2009 12:14 PM

If you have hollow core braid put a loop in the end and buy a wind-on leader

fish4striper 06-11-2009 03:16 PM

I started using the pr knot, its slick. Look for it on youtube. You need a bobbin. It gets 100% strength if tied right.

Moses 06-11-2009 03:58 PM

When I caught my tuna on spinning gear last year, I used 80lb pp braid tied with a triple surgeons knot to a 12' leader of 80lb ande pink.

I now use this knot on all my rods.

roy50 06-11-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperreaper (Post 693578)
Best knot for this is the slim beauty. Google it. Easy to tie and goes through guides great.

I tried the slim beauty last year and it failed on me. It seemed like it gets weakend after a lot of cast by passing through the guides.

thefishingfreak 06-11-2009 07:34 PM

albright

MakoMike 06-12-2009 08:42 AM

The alberto knot is just a slightly modified Albright knot. Best bet is to use Jerry Brown hollow core braid and put a loop in the end and then use a loop to loop connection to the mono.

keeperreaper 06-12-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 693760)
The alberto knot is just a slightly modified Albright knot. Best bet is to use Jerry Brown hollow core braid and put a loop in the end and then use a loop to loop connection to the mono.

I dont believe you can chinese finger 50 lb braid. I dont think it is hollow. Could be wrong.

buckman 06-12-2009 09:50 AM

We use the slim beauty for tuna also. For stripers and small stuff a double surgeon knot has never failed and you can tie it in the dark.

Sweetwater 06-12-2009 12:26 PM

I've heard the slim beauty is a very good knot, but I've not used it. Although I just dropped a 150 lb+ tuna it was not due to the knot.

I, at Eric Stewart's (The Hook Up) recommendation have used a double albright and the knot has never failed on me. Rather than making just one set of wraps (from the tag end back toward the running line), make 6 or 7 wraps from the running line out toward the tag, then make the same number of wraps back the other way, feed the line through the loop formed in the leader, wet, and pull tight.

MakoMike 06-12-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeperreaper (Post 693769)
I dont believe you can chinese finger 50 lb braid. I dont think it is hollow. Could be wrong.

O.K. I'll say it again; best bet is to use Jerry Brown hollow core braid and put a loop in the end and then use a loop to loop connection:doh:

keeperreaper 06-13-2009 04:57 AM

I must have been asleep when I posted it. Forgive me.

ecduzitgood 06-13-2009 10:01 PM

I am not familiar with braid to mono but wouldn't a uni-knot work?

MakoMike 06-16-2009 10:09 AM

Another option is to tie two bimini twists, one on the braid and the other on the mono, or two spyder hitches and then use the loop to loop connection.

roy50 06-18-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 694558)
Another option is to tie two bimini twists, one on the braid and the other on the mono, or two spyder hitches and then use the loop to loop connection.

I thought about that but two biminis would proly be difficult to cast with a spining rod.

roy50 06-18-2009 08:50 AM

I, at Eric Stewart's (The Hook Up) recommendation have used a double albright and the knot has never failed on me. Rather than making just one set of wraps (from the tag end back toward the running line), make 6 or 7 wraps from the running line out toward the tag, then make the same number of wraps back the other way, feed the line through the loop formed in the leader, wet, and pull tight.[/QUOTE]

Is this the same as doing an Alberto knot?

Travis 06-18-2009 04:24 PM

i think I am going to try the sebile knot for my power pro. If I hd hollow core I would wind on, but I have 65lb PP, so sebile knot it is. I have been a fan of the slim beauty, but I have recently learned the sebile knot and it seems like a better knot to cast.

Sea Flat 06-19-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Is this the same as doing an Alberto knot?
Yes

likwid 06-19-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 693863)
O.K. I'll say it again; best bet is to use Jerry Brown hollow core braid and put a loop in the end and then use a loop to loop connection:doh:

Ooooor you move up to 65lb JB and chinese finger trap the mono and serve the junction. :)

A bunch of the offshore boards have big long threads about this, easy to google.

MickeyFinn 07-06-2009 10:52 AM

knot and line strength

For what it's worth, I set up a knot/line breaking mini lab.
Power Pro consistently breaks at a little over 50% of its rated strength, Jerry Brown is in the mid 90%'s (breaks are happening in the middle of a 4' section of line being pulled between fixed point and scale, not within 6" of knots, pressure is gently increased until line breaks).
The slim beauty tested in high 90%'s, albright, double uni and surgeons all failed between 50-75%.
I like the sound of the loop in Jerry Brown. Jerry Brown has hollow core at 65#, I believe PowerPro goes to hollow core at 80#.
We switched everything over to Jerry Brown and the slim beauty with good results.

freebie 07-14-2009 07:39 PM

going to try slim beauty as it seems to be easy to tie and goes through the guides good, anyone using the momoi braid have any feedback on it?