Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Rod Building (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Spinning rod for tuna (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=47342)

Sweetwater 02-29-2008 03:54 PM

Spinning rod for tuna

I'm considering building a spinning rod for small-medium tuna and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Lamiglas Tri-Flex rods. I'm considering a 7'8" blank, medium/heavy action rated for 1-4 oz. The model number is LGC-TXC92 MH...but I think either it is discontinued or possibly a mudhole.com number as I can not find this blank on the Lami website.

In any case, I'd appreciate any opinions on this blank for this application.

taJon 03-01-2008 07:33 AM

personally, I think that would be too long, unless you are planning on shortening it. 7' is what I like on boats and wouldn't really want to be any longer. I'm sure that you would find something at mudhole, they are great guys there.

junkmansj 03-01-2008 09:10 PM

Check out Batson Rainshadow RCLB 70 MH Very nice Composite Blank
Feels like it will work well for Sm-Med Tuna

Sweetwater 03-02-2008 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I also just looked at an American Tackle blank that may to do the trick as well.

GunnySniper 03-03-2008 07:43 AM

I would also look into Cal-Star blanks. They make waht they call the long range series specifically for tuna spinning. Lengths from 6' up to 8'.
I've built quite a few rods, especially slow trolling boat rods, with their blanks, and have been VERY impressed with the actions they have.
I build Tube N' worm rods that I call "Automatics". With the drag set at 12lbs, the action of the tip recoils at the release of the drag to actually set the hook on the fish. I have not missed hooking a fish.

RODMAN 03-05-2008 12:28 AM

If your going to use a composite, the triflex line is the way to go. The tip is a little wimpy for tuna on the TXC92. The TXC961m cut down to a 9.5 or 10 tip would probably do better. Batson SWB76MH could be built on as is for less$$.

Sweetwater 03-05-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RODMAN (Post 571543)
If your going to use a composite, the triflex line is the way to go. The tip is a little wimpy for tuna on the TXC92. The TXC961m cut down to a 9.5 or 10 tip would probably do better. Batson SWB76MH could be built on as is for less$$.

Okay, the blank I'm looking at is an 8 tip. I wonder what the length would be if I cut it to 9 or 9.5 (it's 7'8" stock). But I really want to be able to toss a light lure, sometimes the tuna are finicky and only will eat something small.

RODMAN 03-08-2008 10:20 PM

Look at the txc961m. It's an 8' blank with the same specs. After you trim it back to 9.5 or 10, It will most likely be close to the 7' 8" your looking for.

ahistick 03-27-2008 02:14 PM

The Batson RCLB series have been compared to Calstar Grafighters at a fraction of the price.

Armbreaker 04-13-2008 06:31 PM

Looks like noboby has heard of the new Super Seeker Blanks!!
There isnt nothing like them on the market today guys,and I believe they are the most powerful blanks avail.
Combination of Super S glass,120 graphite...Find that combination somewhere!Thats pretty much all I build on anymore.
Read more about them at seekerrods.com
Good luck to you all!