Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Took the yak out for this season's maiden voyage. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=70813)

FishermanTim 05-02-2011 11:39 AM

Took the yak out for this season's maiden voyage.

Freshwater pond, nothing on topwater, but the sunfish, crappie and white perch were hungry.

Found out one thing I want to do with the yak this year.
SEAL THE SCUPPER HOLES PERMANTLY!!!!
I hate fishing with a cold wet arse! I thought I had inserted the scupper stoppers well enough, but alas, I was wrong. Unfortunately I can't make any adjustments while on the water, so I just had to grin and bear it. Otherwise, I had a good time.

Man, it felt GREAT getting out on the yak again!

Rockport24 05-02-2011 11:52 AM

sounds like a nice first trip!

On the scupper holes - do you wear dry gear at all in the salt? I think the freshwater it would be fine to seal them, but in the salt it could be slightly dangerous with waves and wakes coming over the sides into the yak pretty easily. I just wear dry gear until the water gets warm enough to sit in...
The kokatat tempest dry pants are great for this use.

blondterror 05-02-2011 03:52 PM

I agree with the thought of sealing the scupper holes for calm days but in the salt with waves it is best to wear waterproof foulie bottoms Are the tempest pants better than a good pair of farmer John foulie pants?

Do they stand up to salt/sun/wet/dry cycles?

Rockport24 05-02-2011 04:23 PM

I just got mine and I really like em, an bunch of NEKF guys have worn them for a couple of seasons now and the reviews are all good, so they must stand up pretty well.

Foulie pants are probably OK, but they aren't going to keep you warm and dry if you go into the drink. These will as they have a nice gasket at the waist and built in feet, kind of like waders.

FishermanTim 05-02-2011 04:57 PM

Just for the record, I have a SOT kayak, and I put in the plugs because if I don't I will have a wet seat. During the summer, it can be refreshing, and help keep you cool, but I'd rather not start out wet.

All in all, I'd say I had a good day.
It sure felt good to get out on the water.

BigFish 05-02-2011 04:58 PM

I wear shorts.....if I get wet.....you are in the water after all? Don't bother me in the least!:)

blondterror 05-02-2011 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had my 1st SW kayak fishing today on Buzz bay... this pic was my lunch spot...

I caught 2 schoolies on a yellow darter that I made this winter... I am in "darter heaven" I test swum 4 BlondTerror darters and only one did not swim the way I wanted.. batting .750

Rockport24 05-03-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 855947)
Just for the record, I have a SOT kayak, and I put in the plugs because if I don't I will have a wet seat. During the summer, it can be refreshing, and help keep you cool, but I'd rather not start out wet.

All in all, I'd say I had a good day.
It sure felt good to get out on the water.

yeah, I'm talking about about a SOT as well, in the cold salt water I usually wear dry gear in case I go in to avoid hypothermia, and it also keeps my butt dry in the seat!

Even in a SOT, if the foot wells and around your seat fill with water because the scuppers are plugged, it could be difficult to paddle and manuever and could possibly flip you in some chop/swells.