Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Chatham Great Whites (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=65379)

Mr. Sandman 08-02-2010 01:04 PM

Chatham Great Whites

Have any of you dragged a neoprene cut out of a seal pup behind the boat off of Chatham? I was thinking it would be good entertainment right off the surf line.

After Watching "Shark Week" on TV I thought this might be fun.

MakoMike 08-02-2010 01:21 PM

Better yet put a hook in it!

FishermanTim 08-02-2010 03:24 PM

even better....stick a few plovers on it! :biglaugh:

Pete_G 08-03-2010 06:07 AM

I just can't get over some of the reports.

The behavior below is wild to think about. If it's isolated it's interesting, if it's not, it's amazing to think of a great white rushing the shallows like a killer whale for a seal.

Cape Cod Shark Hunters - Home

"July 20, 2010 - George Breen sights 15 foot great white shark stalking seals south of Lighthouse Beach on the Eastern side of Cape Cod. In a failed attempt to attack a seal, the shark beached itself in shallow water but was able to turn around and swim back out to sea."

canalbeach 08-03-2010 08:38 AM

We should start a movement to irradicate the seal population for the greater good of all man kind. God knows how many poor bathers will be chopped to pieces by "all" those sharks. Then we can make a killing on seal skin coats when they come back in fashion. That and I hear tell from the eskimos that seal blubber is "Good Eats".
There another problem solved:cheers2:

Bronko 08-03-2010 09:01 AM

I was down there for a week on vacation. The air traffic is incredible. spotter planes, helicopters etc. The boat traffic off south beach is amazing as well as the crowds on the beach. Chatham is booming.

But they better be careful, those creatures have been very selective in just picking of seals so far. At some point someone will get crushed out there and it will be real bad for business.

"And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and have that little Kitner boy spill out all over the dock.":devil2:

Raven 08-03-2010 09:37 AM

on one special on Great whites they were saying that this shark isn't just a reactionary to stimuli type hunter but more like a premeditated killer who skillfully plans every detail of the hunt down to a science.

MrHunters 08-03-2010 09:47 AM

that might be so but

From watching Great White Expedition on NGC they take a floating piece of meat just like a blue shark. Just ALOT bigger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 785529)
on one special on Great whites they were saying that this shark isn't just a reactionary to stimuli type hunter but more like a premeditated killer who skillfully plans every detail of the hunt down to a science.

Raven 08-03-2010 10:22 AM

oh agreed Mr. Hunters... throw in blood
a chunk of meat and their instincts kick in...

they are just not so stupid ..........was my point.....

they'll target younger seals because they haven't learned
a special evasive maneuver of reversing direction in a millisecond
and bouncing off their teeth like the adult seas have.

DZ 08-03-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 785261)
Have any of you dragged a neoprene cut out of a seal pup behind the boat off of Chatham? I was thinking it would be good entertainment right off the surf line.

After Watching "Shark Week" on TV I thought this might be fun.

That was a great episode. I kept waiting for them to experiment by dragging a full wetsuit to see if the sharks would attack humans. Missed opportunity.

DZ

MrHunters 08-03-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 785544)

they are just not so stupid ..........was my point.....

and for what stupid there is, they make up with rows of serrated teeth! :rotf2:

JohnR 08-03-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 785572)
That was a great episode. I kept waiting for them to experiment by dragging a full wetsuit to see if the sharks would attack humans. Missed opportunity.

DZ

Think I saw the same a few months back, big neoprene "boat" in shape of seal that was pummeled by a shark. I think wetsuit test has merit :devil2:

FishermanTim 08-03-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_G (Post 785483)

The behavior below is wild to think about. If it's isolated it's interesting, if it's not, it's amazing to think of a great white rushing the shallows like a killer whale for a seal.

"July 20, 2010 - George Breen sights 15 foot great white shark stalking seals south of Lighthouse Beach on the Eastern side of Cape Cod. In a failed attempt to attack a seal, the shark beached itself in shallow water but was able to turn around and swim back out to sea."

How long before we hear reports of "land sharks"? :biglaugh:

But seriously, sharks have long known when and where to find their prey. How this information is passed down is anyone's guess, but the sharks seem to know when the young inexperienced prey are about to hit the water and they'll be there waiting. How do tiger sharks know when the fledgling albatross/boobies are ready to try flying?
How to whites know when seal pups are going to venture out?

As for partially beaching themselves, it's not accidental. They are playing the hunch that the seal will stumble during it's first steps in the surf, giving the shark/whale that extra chance to grab them.

Islander77 08-19-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_G (Post 785483)

Last year the whites came right into Chatham harbors.. Cruising threw the seals are hiding inside hoping the bars will save em... Now the downfall not just whale and seal watching trips now people wanna see great whites....:rotf2: I still say I WANNA SEE ORCA show up....:)

Raven 08-19-2010 09:29 PM

Orca! Orca! Orca!

Mr. Sandman 08-25-2010 01:44 PM

A family witnesses a shark attack a seal off a beach in Massachusetts

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com