Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Well water system spitting sand (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81401)

5/0 03-10-2013 01:29 PM

Well water system spitting sand

Hey Guys a fellow S-B member has a well water system and it's spitting out sand intermittently,I would assume this is happening due to all of the snow and rain.

Symptoms are;
Turn on the faucet water comes out for a bit then the pressure drops then PSI increase's and water will cone back out with a mixture of sand.

I don't know anything about well pumps but I would assume that sediment has been up kicked from the recent storms and it's taking resident inside the housing of the impeller veins of the pump, or the pump is su(king up chit from the bottom of the well(pump came lose and fell to the bottom) and debris is inside the impeller.

Has anybody else have a similar problem?

Westportmafia will chime in on all of the other details.

spence 03-10-2013 01:36 PM

Did you try soaking them in salt and cornmeal for a few hours?

-spence

Raven 03-10-2013 02:43 PM

seen it happen before....
after a period of time
about a week i'd say
it returned to normal

WESTPORTMAFIA 03-10-2013 06:02 PM

Started Friday. Lost all pressure while in the shower (whole house lost pressure) it came back in in about a minute. Lost pressure 2 minutes later and came on again. This happened a few times. Ran the tub and sand came out with the water.

Saturday everything was normal.

This am lost pressure in the shower (whole house) came back on. Finished up. Ran the tub went down stairs watched the pressure gauge go from 60 psi to zero 3 times and recover after about a minute. No sand came out in the tub today.

???????
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WESTPORTMAFIA 03-10-2013 06:04 PM

I'm hoping its an above ground problem.

WESTPORTMAFIA 03-13-2013 09:08 PM

No more sand but lost pressure once this am in the shower. 2nd shower was fine. Haven't lost pressure since my last post. But it rained like a bastard last night again. Any ideas????

Redsoxticket 03-13-2013 09:29 PM

Do the adjacent property owners have water pressure issues with the well ? The underground water table o n your property is likely the same source as your neighbor

WESTPORTMAFIA 03-13-2013 10:35 PM

No. I'm on a slope going down to the pond. We have big lots. Next door slopes down to the same pond and across the street slopes in the opposite direction into a different pool. My well is on the top of the highest point in my yard that drains down past the house into the pond. The water levels now are the same when I built in 2005. But haven't been this high since maybe 2009. 2009- present have been very low until now. This has been a huge spike in the last 4-5 years even though it is even with 05-7 numbers.

tinyboatbigfish 07-15-2013 10:03 PM

I am a plumber I would say look at expansion tank to see if 30 psi in it

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-19-2013 12:03 AM

I had a local trusted well guy come by. It's 100% the pump. $1500 installed at 420 feet with a 5 year warranty. A bigger local company wanted 2 grand. He's local, insured, referred by a couple people and fishes. So 1500 it is. Was hoping for a 1-200 fix but those 2 parts were ruled out quickly after testing the tank.