Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Ice Fishing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Ice reports (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=84559)

yj1990 12-26-2013 12:35 PM

Ice reports

Saw people on a few ponds today, rock pond, hoods and looks like some others have been chasing trout on balpate,styles and plugs. anyone eles have safe ice in this area?

FishermanTim 12-26-2013 04:12 PM

funny thing is that some ponds that had snow cover may not have lost as much ice as some feared. That COULD mean that in some cases (and places) that the base ice was minimally impacted by the rain.

I had fished a pond in Wayland last weekend on 4-6" under 1-2" of frozen slush. When I checked it last night I couldn't get out due to shore melting from rain run off.

Another pond I checked last weekend in Westwood had 3-4" of ice under a crusted coating of snow/slush and when I checked last night it had 4" of clear ice right to the shore.

So the operative phrase this weekend will be "Location, location location!!!"

Just be safe if you venture out!

JamesJet 12-26-2013 06:20 PM

Please be safe everyone, these weather conditions make it very spotty, not only pond to pond but the soft spots in ponds get thin extra quick with the rain/warm weather we had. Places around wood, any moving water, even snow cover /drifts can drastically change what's underneath.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RickBomba 12-27-2013 11:43 AM

Be careful. I think Tim and James are right. Make sure to bring spikes and rope!

Raven 12-27-2013 03:56 PM

i must get spikes
i must get spikes

Back Beach 12-28-2013 07:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last week 4-6" in my area. Warm rain took it down a bit and left the edges melted, but this week looks like it will lock back up following this weekend's rain.

Kids pulled up some good ones last week before we had to bail and also a 3# bullhead, which was an ice fishing first for us:

yj1990 12-28-2013 03:15 PM

my dad was out on hoods today for only a little bit and got 3 crappy jigging, and about 5" of ice there.

Raven 12-29-2013 06:47 AM

single digits on the way

Rappin Mikey 12-29-2013 01:22 PM

Got into a few pike yesterday. Shawno was the top dog with one hovering around 9#. Other than that a few bass here and there since Thanksgiving.

Rappin Mikey 12-29-2013 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics

Rappin Mikey 12-29-2013 01:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more

Rappin Mikey 12-29-2013 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To see Shawn's pike go to the main forum. A few more bass

fishsmith 01-02-2014 08:29 AM

Saw one guy on furnace pond in Pembroke yesterday, which gives me faith I'll be doing the same this weekend in or around that same area.

The Dad Fisherman 01-02-2014 05:06 PM

Went out yesterday for a few hours locally.....a good 6-8 inches. Felt good to get out. Going to try and head out Saturday on a local pond and see what's up......hoping the big winds blow a lot of this fluffy snow off the ponds.

Sea Dangles 01-02-2014 06:26 PM

Went out locally today with a very slow bite. 3-4 inches of black ice and the promise of a blizzard trip tomorrow has me pumped.

Rappin Mikey 01-05-2014 02:48 PM

I missed it yesterday. All holy Hell broke loose with multiple pike and one 6# walleye in Northampton. Today I went for an hour and missed one fish. Oh well, back to the grindstone tomorrow. That 16 days was the longest Xmas break I think I will ever have. I got some decent bass, picks, and a few pike. I didn't hit as hard as I used too though. Baby makes it tough. I wouldn't give it up for the world though. KERRY will be one heck of a fishergirl in a few years though. Pics to follow.

BigBo 01-05-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsmith (Post 1026969)
Saw one guy on furnace pond in Pembroke yesterday, which gives me faith I'll be doing the same this weekend in or around that same area.

Most of them in the area are looking good with the exception of Maquan in Hanson. Probably due to all the springs.
I did some scouting yesterday around Hanson and Pembroke and tested a couple spots. Time to hit it this week for me. :uhuh:

fishsmith 01-06-2014 10:42 AM

I got skunked Saturday, 4 flags no fish and holes were re freezing in minutes. On Sunday I changed my traps to use size 4 hooks and a swivel. got 8 fish, bass pickerel and perch and a 1/2 dozen misses. The ice was about 3" of real ice and 3-4 of the white ice. Hopefully the next couple days freeze the ponds up again.

The Dad Fisherman 01-06-2014 11:03 AM

Had a great day on the ice yesterday, jigged up a bunch of Perch and Crappie and got a PB largemouth through the ice. Plenty of ice locally in my area....good 8" at least. This rain should knock down the snow we got and it should be frozen over, with the lows coming through the next few days, for next weekend and hopefully beyond.

FishermanTim 01-06-2014 03:45 PM

Hopefully the rain will knock down(or out) the snow cover BUT not remained pooled up on the ice.
Nothing changes the complexion of a ice outing than breaking through a pocket of ice to get your feet soaked in freezing cold water.
It's as bad as the frozen slush pockets!

I was fishing in Westwood both Sat & Sun and Sun was the most productive day. I got more slab crappie than the entire last year!

Having a Showdown Ice Stroller makes it much more fun when you can see the fish rising and you wait for the weight on the rod!

(I got way more fish jigging than on traps, but they were both productive.)

This weekend should be OK, although Sat does show possible showers in the forecast right now.

OH, well, that's why we buy flip overs, right???

jonserfish 01-11-2014 07:23 AM

COUPLE NICE ONES FOR MY DAUGHTER
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3fca4881.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...pscad90c4b.jpg