Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   This section is dead...who's yakkin? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=50051)

Rockport24 06-24-2008 12:11 PM

This section is dead...who's yakkin?

Hey guys, this section need a recessitator
So let's hear it! What are you doing yak-wise?
I haven't been out on the yak as much I would like this year, but I think the summer will bring a lot of yak time for me. I conentrated on the rivers and harbors in the spring and got some schoolies, no keepers though. I got out in the open ocean once in calm seas and it was different, let me tell you. It was also weird to be on the other side of one of my favorite surf spots!
I have Friday off, so I'm thinking about trying that very popular yak spot on the northern north shore for the first time

smac 06-24-2008 04:59 PM

Sent ya a PM

I have been out almost every night trying to figure out a new area. Lets just say I havent figured it out. :wall:

Rockport24 06-25-2008 10:35 AM

thank smac...

but, wow guess this section really is dead.....
oh well

bassackward 06-25-2008 10:55 AM

All of the forums seem to slow down once the actual fishing starts. Plus, most of us fish from shore, baot, and kayak and have been busy the past two months. I expect more kayaking in July and August whne the shore fishing gets more difficult due to water temps. Matt, pm me some time if you want to go out up your way. I will be on MV for half of July but will be around other than that.

John

Rockport24 06-25-2008 03:34 PM

cool, will do, thanks John

tynan19 06-25-2008 04:51 PM

Took my kayak out for the first time in Naragansett Bay last week. Snagged some pogies and drifted a little. I was afraid to paddle the mile to the islands with all the boats but I had a couple runs and a really big swirl on my pogie. That really got my heart racing seeing the pogie on top flapping away and then a large bulge followed by a huge swirl not ten feet from me. Then the pogie swam right back to me and was swimming in my shadow next to me. I was waiting for the fish to come back but it didn't. A bit dissapointing but it was nice to be out. I was trying to figure out how to set to tow a live bait holder?

trigga 06-26-2008 09:13 AM

been shore fishing since May... time to start gettin on the yak again..

Rockport24 07-01-2008 12:06 PM

hey dudes, hit that spot I was talking about, nothing good to report, fish spooking everywhere, but none would take my assortment of soft plastics trolled off the yak. next time, it's the tube and worm or eels at night!

Hobie Wan 07-02-2008 08:28 AM

Fishing lots from the kayak in CT. The spring fishing was incredible in the CT River, but slowed down when the waters warmed.

Like you, we are focusing on new spots, mostly reef fishing and perfecting the art of using the Mirage Drive in those nasty rips.

Lots of sand eels and the occasional bunker, but right now, the bass and blues are honed in on those sand eels, making it very difficult to get their attention with so much forage in waters.

Overall, the kayak fishing fleet in CT are doing pretty well with plenty of fish up to 42-inches, primarily using the tube or dragging eels.

Ake G 07-11-2008 09:58 AM

Not much lately to report.Local fishing has been so dismal up here I've been either driving 45 min. south to fish(PI) which takes time and effort (I'm 2 minutes from the ocean)or grabbing the surfboard....

narrabass 07-24-2008 11:53 AM

A bunch of us from RI and Mass went to Maine for the Maine Kayak Fishing Tournament. That place is beautiful!!! There were over 60 Kayak Fishermen and women, but only a few fish caught. We fished 12 hours Sat and then again on Sun, but only caught 2 fish. One was caught by me for 2nd place and one by Guyton (GBT) for 5th place. The DEM told them that there were only 5% of the stripers in the rivers this year as opposed to prior years. They had no explanation.
I will go back next year.

Rockport24 07-24-2008 01:03 PM

hey congrats narrabass on the 2nd place spot, way to represent.
I read about the tourney on the NEKF site, looked like a great time!

Backbeach Jake 07-24-2008 04:29 PM

I'm about to join the dark side.....here we go ...
I've narrowed down to two choices ( so far, I think, maybe)
Cobra Fish N Dive
Ocean Malibu II
Any opinions? Yeas or nays? Something more stable ( You can keep that eskimo roll bs.) Just looking for a decent fishing platform for a fat old man.

reelecstasy 07-26-2008 10:21 AM

6-1
235#+:rollem:

I love my Wilderness Tarpon 140, and is extremely stable...

Crafty Angler 09-17-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 600027)
Hey guys, this section need a recessitator
So let's hear it! What are you doing yak-wise?

I seem to yak a little first thing in the morning...

mattb 09-27-2008 08:13 PM

Been hitting the waterford area almost daily in my Revo and killin em.

Hobie Wan 10-02-2008 04:13 PM

Yep...been a banner year for big fish in CT.