Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Charter tips (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=83357)

puppet 08-20-2013 08:38 AM

Charter tips

Going on my first bluefin charter.

What is the going rate for tips?

Percentage for trip without any fish landed?

Percentage for trip with fish landed and filleted?

If the captain gets into the fighting rotation,
how much does it effect the tip?

I want to be fair to the charter, and don't want to
show up without enough dough. If there are other
considerations, please advise.

Also, if you have any general advise, I am interested.
I hear the class of fish this year a pretty big. Any
fighting tips you have for me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Raider Ronnie 08-20-2013 09:03 AM

20%. !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

buckman 08-20-2013 09:41 AM

20% to the mate. If you're going giant fishing, don't go with the expectation that you're going to catch one. Enjoy the day, and learn as much as you can from watching. If you catch a giant most likely the boat will keep the fish and you'll get your charter for free. The mate and the captain will have plenty of tips for you during the fight. A good boat will make it entertaining regardless .
Good luck

thefishingfreak 08-20-2013 09:53 AM

20% to the mate regardless. he's not a waitress.
The mate still has to clean the boat, the gear and the head long after you've gone home. plus all the prep work beforehand.

puppet 08-20-2013 10:19 AM

There may not be a mate.

Is it safe to assume that the captain should get 20% or is it excessive?

buckman 08-20-2013 10:27 AM

Tip him if you want, what you want. Unless he's cutting you a deal he is making good money while also getting a potential market fish.
Are you trolling or sitting on a ball?

thefishingfreak 08-20-2013 12:20 PM

which boat are you taking?

Fly Rod 08-20-2013 03:40 PM

Never used a mate...most always got 20%

puppet 08-20-2013 06:12 PM

Not sure what sitting on a ball
is...but I think we will be throwing
topwaters or jigging with spinning
gear. To be truthful I really have no
Experience with tactics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 1010589)
Tip him if you want, what you want. Unless he's cutting you a deal he is making good money while also getting a potential market fish.
Are you trolling or sitting on a ball?

niko 08-21-2013 09:14 AM

Sitting on the ball means anchoring up. He's running and gunning with Dom I believe. Sounds like he's been doing well with the jigs. Good luck

puppet 08-21-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko (Post 1010692)
Sitting on the ball means anchoring up. He's running and gunning with Dom I believe. Sounds like he's been doing well with the jigs. Good luck

Thanks!
Yes...with Dom.

I cannot wait. I hope we land one so I can gnaw on it. He had some
pics up of the toro off a recent catch. I hope we catch a lard belly.

capecodkid 08-21-2013 04:44 PM

Tip 20%, Dom works harder than any other guy out there to put you on them, especially if its a slow day.

Raider Ronnie 08-21-2013 05:57 PM

Definitely tip Dom.
He's the best at that game & he's not afraid to burn fuel doing it.
Fuel cost $

ThrowingTimber 08-22-2013 07:27 AM

Definitely Dom.

We went out with him yesterday and we had a 60" in the bag and on ice before 8am. My cousin was in town and he had recently finished his residency, purchased a home, got married and he and his wife had a baby within the past year. He's an army medic and just recently re-upped as well so wanted to take him out for some jigging and he loved it!

Jig bite. High effort. High reward.

Hooked a pig that I had just started to settle in on and gain line, then it saw the boat and burned 400 yards at full strike. Then a parker trolled over it :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::w all: They saw us hooked up and trolled right over the fish despite our waving them off and shouting to turn a bit and no response from the radio or parkers crew on deck :( I would have like to have seen that one. Jigged up on a 500 gram rod that was real stiff and that fish put a beautiful bend in the rod.

As of our trip yesterday Dom is 6 trips straight with fish landed. We went 1 landed for 6 hooked. The jig bite is tough because they crushing the 110z/310gram point jude deep force jigs but the issue is theyre coming to the surface with them, so they crush the jig and continue upwards towards the boat, you have to reel like a mf'er to keep the fish tight. thats a lot of weight on that jig and if you dont keep them tight they shake their heads and that jig will pull super easily.

The toro on our fish looks like high quality hormone free, steroid free, grass fed BACON! My cousin has a cooler full as we speak on his flight back to washington state.

puppet 08-22-2013 09:36 AM

Wow....thanks for the report. Very exciting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 1010844)
Definitely Dom.

We went out with him yesterday and we had a 60" in the bag and on ice before 8am. My cousin was in town and he had recently finished his residency, purchased a home, got married and he and his wife had a baby within the past year. He's an army medic and just recently re-upped as well so wanted to take him out for some jigging and he loved it!

Jig bite. High effort. High reward.

Hooked a pig that I had just started to settle in on and gain line, then it saw the boat and burned 400 yards at full strike. Then a parker trolled over it :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::w all: They saw us hooked up and trolled right over the fish despite our waving them off and shouting to turn a bit and no response from the radio or parkers crew on deck :( I would have like to have seen that one. Jigged up on a 500 gram rod that was real stiff and that fish put a beautiful bend in the rod.

As of our trip yesterday Dom is 6 trips straight with fish landed. We went 1 landed for 6 hooked. The jig bite is tough because they crushing the 110z/310gram point jude deep force jigs but the issue is theyre coming to the surface with them, so they crush the jig and continue upwards towards the boat, you have to reel like a mf'er to keep the fish tight. thats a lot of weight on that jig and if you dont keep them tight they shake their heads and that jig will pull super easily.

The toro on our fish looks like high quality hormone free, steroid free, grass fed BACON! My cousin has a cooler full as we speak on his flight back to washington state.

niko 08-22-2013 09:55 AM

Victory for victor

JackK 08-22-2013 10:28 AM

Like anything tips are subjective.

If you go, learn a ton & enjoy yourself, tip 20%.

If you go and the captain seems hungover and miserable (I know that's not Dom, but just throwing out an example) then tip less.

No set percentage for gratuity to the captain. But if there's a mate, it's always a good idea to tip him/her well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppet (Post 1010572)
Going on my first bluefin charter.

What is the going rate for tips?

Percentage for trip without any fish landed?

Percentage for trip with fish landed and filleted?

If the captain gets into the fighting rotation,
how much does it effect the tip?

I want to be fair to the charter, and don't want to
show up without enough dough. If there are other
considerations, please advise.

Also, if you have any general advise, I am interested.
I hear the class of fish this year a pretty big. Any
fighting tips you have for me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bassballer 08-23-2013 11:54 AM

Sweet report Vic

scottw 08-30-2013 03:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
just to follow up...he did get his fish :)

jim sylvester 08-30-2013 04:32 PM

what is the name of the charter?

blondterror 08-30-2013 10:42 PM

http://coastalcharterssportfishing.com/