Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Must outboard maintenance (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95650)

wdmso 10-08-2019 12:00 PM

Must outboard maintenance

My 2014 200hp xb 4 stroke yamaha has reached 850 hrs i do the oil and lower main engine fuel filter and waterfuel separator myself

Looking to do all fuel filters water pump and. Thermostats and Tune up .. unsure if i should replace all anodes or do that down the road have i missed anything you guys feel is a must do. Thanks

Sea Dangles 10-08-2019 12:07 PM

Wayne,you use your boat a lot and should really see what a service center recommends. It is a big investment and should be maintained by a professional. The only service I do is an oil change mid season. Good luck.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wdmso 10-08-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1176330)
Wayne,you use your boat a lot and should really see what a service center recommends. It is a big investment and should be maintained by a professional. The only service I do is an oil change mid season. Good luck.

chris thanks I want to do it right but there isn't a lot in the maintenance schedule .. only replace water pump ocv oil filter and timing belt at 1000 hours .. no mention of any of the internal fuel filters VST filters or anything .. Sadly I am a if it aint broke dont fix it kinda of guy .. ill see what they recommend and go from there thanks :btu:

Guppy 10-08-2019 04:17 PM

Take a look at the owners manual, just finished mine,,,

Water pump
Timing belt (way overdue)
Oil, filter
Lower unit grease
Put old plugs in til next season warmup
Fogging oil engine
Lube steering
OEM fuel filter
10 micron external fuel filter
Power head anodes

Thinking about running something through the cooling system

Plus a freaken leaky tank and spongy deck...

Sea Dangles 10-08-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1176343)
chris thanks I want to do it right but there isn't a lot in the maintenance schedule .. only replace water pump ocv oil filter and timing belt at 1000 hours .. no mention of any of the internal fuel filters VST filters or anything .. Sadly I am a if it aint broke dont fix it kinda of guy .. ill see what they recommend and go from there thanks :btu:

I guess I probably go offshore a little more to think like that. I always try my best to just insure my return. Tog time!

Rockfish9 10-09-2019 11:15 AM

think about the thermostat and popet ( pressure relief)valve while you are servicing the cooling system, they are cheap and can cause you a whole of lot of trouble if they fail...and if you do them regularly ( when you service the water pump) you are assured the bolts will come out when/if you do need to change them..

wdmso 10-09-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1176443)
think about the thermostat and popet ( pressure relief)valve while you are servicing the cooling system, they are cheap and can cause you a whole of lot of trouble if they fail...and if you do them regularly ( when you service the water pump) you are assured the bolts will come out when/if you do need to change them..

thermostat definitely on my list

wdmso 10-09-2019 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1176348)
Take a look at the owners manual, just finished mine,,,

Water pump
Timing belt (way overdue)
Oil, filter
Lower unit grease
Put old plugs in til next season warmup
Fogging oil engine
Lube steering
OEM fuel filter
10 micron external fuel filter
Power head anodes

Thinking about running something through the cooling system

Plus a freaken leaky tank and spongy deck...

I used this stuff last 2 years easy not sure if its still around screwed it to my flush hose and pushed the button

Guppy 10-09-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1176462)
I used this stuff last 2 years easy not sure if its still around screwed it to my flush hose and pushed the button

Good one, thanks