Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Flaptails (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=70213)

ProfessorM 04-02-2011 01:46 PM

Flaptails

3 Attachment(s)
Finished up my flaptails too. I have some larger ones in process but this size I am done with.

chefchris401 04-02-2011 01:54 PM

Nice clean looking plugs prof.

Love the blue cloud ones.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ecduzitgood 04-02-2011 01:59 PM

OMG

Just beautiful, could I ask where you get the flap tails?

ProfessorM 04-02-2011 02:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is how I do the tail wrap as I have kind of given up on the threaded wire thing as it takes way too much time to thread and I think it may be compromised by a big fish as it is such a small thread. I feel the wrapping of the wire is much stronger. Takes some practice for sure but works great, after a while. I also am now anchoring the hanger into the body of the plug so it can't move around which can be aggravating. I pin it into the body now and glue it.
Here are a few pictures as it can be used on other plugs that terminate at the rear of the plug where no rear hook is used. I took pictures so I can review this next year as it seems I always forget how to do it every year so this is for me too. :uhuh:

Here you can see the rear of the plug. You can see the small hole I drill into the plug to anchor the hanger. Then you can see pin in the hole and then the whole set up before it gets wrapped. You can see I am making the grommet but will go to a store bought one after I run out of these. Again time consuming making the components.

ProfessorM 04-02-2011 02:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the flaptails and the components I use to make up the assembly. I will no longer make the grommets as I will modify the hangers to accept a regular grommet. The pins are small stainless nails that I modify so they sit into a countersink in the hanger and are thus flush to the hanger. The flaptails are available from several suppliers. The hangers are not so you will have to hunt around to find something usable or make your own.

ecduzitgood 04-02-2011 02:08 PM

Does it have any effect on the plug if you change the point where you pin the hanger up vs. down?(you show down in the photo's)
You are a perfectionist for sure, what a nice clean beyond professional look to your work.

ProfessorM 04-02-2011 02:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok here is the wrap.

First you bring the wire out the rear and then bend it at a 90 a small distance after the grommet. Then you try and fold it over itself back towards the rear end, this is the tough part, and finally flatten it out along itself.

ProfessorM 04-02-2011 02:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
then

start to wrap it over itself holding it on the bent part, I use my vise with alum jaws to hold the bent part as it takes a lot of maneuvering to get the wrap done. Can't see how you would do it without one. You then wrap up against the grommet and it will be real tight and then you cut it off flush. The pin holds the hanger tight and the wire pulls it all together for a real tight fit.

ProfessorM 04-02-2011 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more look before it's cut. Thats all folks.

BigFish 04-02-2011 05:12 PM

Yum! Yum! Yum!!!:drool: Your work always amazes me Paul....just beautiful!!!:uhuh:

Rowhunter 04-02-2011 07:05 PM

That's some very nice work, I like how you chose to pin the flaptail mount.

Douglas

Hookedagain 04-02-2011 08:34 PM

Great looking stuff Paul.

Slipknot 04-03-2011 07:26 PM

Very nice Paul :btu:

my problem is wrapping the wire that holds the flaptail

GattaFish 04-03-2011 07:41 PM

Wow,,, Those are unreal,,,, Way to Go Paul,,,

ProfessorM 04-04-2011 09:49 AM

real simple Bruce once you do a few. Like any of these wraps that are not used very often you need to take some pictures or write it down because it seems like you are doing them for the first time if you haven't done it in a year or so. Took me a while to figure it out again this spring after I thought I had it down pat last year. I'll show you sometime but if I get a few minutes this week I will take a few pics as I go because I need a few more and I am out.

ProfessorM 04-04-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecduzitgood (Post 848871)
Does it have any effect on the plug if you change the point where you pin the hanger up vs. down?(you show down in the photo's)
You are a perfectionist for sure, what a nice clean beyond professional look to your work.

although I have not tried it but I would think if you pinned it on top the plug would sit wrong, sideways maybe. It sits in water with tail down and about 1/3 of the plug out of water and line tie down low so on top would probably wreak havoc with that, IMO:)

angler229 04-04-2011 09:53 AM

Real nice stuff Paul.

eskimo 04-04-2011 12:36 PM

too cool! Like the Pichney reverse cloud.

saltydog 04-05-2011 10:06 AM

FANTASTIC.:love: the blue cloud :drool:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:gh:

outnumbered 04-05-2011 05:24 PM

As always some really nice stuff there Paul.

Diggin Jiggin 04-05-2011 06:03 PM

I love the body shape of the flaptails. I need to try something with the tie under the chin like that.

Big D 04-06-2011 03:07 AM

Paul as always, thanks for the great thread! I just noticed the cool vise. Adjustable angle? Available, I've never seen one.

ThrowingTimber 04-06-2011 06:32 AM

beautiful work paul.:drevil:

ProfessorM 04-06-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 849523)
Paul as always, thanks for the great thread! I just noticed the cool vise. Adjustable angle? Available, I've never seen one.

best piece of Chinese stuff I ever bought. Got it about 20 years ago at Grossmans. Thing is cast iron and heavy as hell and been very handy throughout the years.

blondterror 04-06-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 849591)
best piece of Chinese stuff I ever bought. Got it about 20 years ago at Grossmans. Thing is cast iron and heavy as hell and been very handy throughout the years.

That vise looks like the metal workers version of the famous Emmert No.1 patternmakers vice that is hard to find.. Stanley makes a lite weight adjustable vice that only costs $30 at Amazon... looks decent in the Amazon pic... have not seen one in person...

Stanley-MaxSteel-83-069-Multi-Angle-Vise

OLD GOAT 04-06-2011 01:40 PM

Ya I'm so lame I noticed the vice as well. Long winter.

PS Great looking plugs Paul

Big D 04-07-2011 03:43 AM

Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

O.D. Mike 04-07-2011 07:21 AM

Multi-purpose Vise

Here you go Big D, same color and a cheap price.....

Multi-Purpose Vises (WT)

Charlie M 04-07-2011 11:06 AM

Thats some pretty intense thinking to make it all work. Great stuff and beautiful plugs! Thanks for sharing it.