Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Over The Winter "To-Do" List! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=66760)

BigFish 10-16-2010 07:00 AM

Over The Winter "To-Do" List!

So do any of you have any purchases planned or upgrades, installations or modifications planned for the off season???:)

I may research Depth Finders and I want to rig something to hold a camera/video camera!:uhuh:

Backbeach Jake 10-16-2010 07:56 AM

Thinking of a Scotty rod mount and some sort of fishfinder/depthfinder. Review my safety equiptment, I know there's holes there. Handles forward to ease in loading and unloading. Plenty of small things to do before next season. Ship shape and Bristol fashion.

BigBo 10-16-2010 07:59 AM

I just need to get a Turbo kit. It's either that or those adjuster nuts are going to get a dose of LocTite. For the sort money, I'll try the kit first as it seems I'm the only one having a problem.
I also need to re-set my transducer to get more consistent readings.

Raven 10-16-2010 09:00 AM

it would take me all winter to write the list ......... heh heh heh

i'll know in spring what got completed....

prolly gonna ice fish allot me thinks
no freakin BUGS

Liv2Fish 10-16-2010 09:02 AM

My Brother in-law runs Yesteryear Cycle in NB. They sell a video camera that is for strapping on to a helmet for extreme mountain biking. It can be triggered by a remote switch. It was short money - like under $2 bills. Would be perfect to mount to a boat or head gear. I'll find out the name and post a link.

The Dad Fisherman 10-16-2010 10:07 AM

I need a VHF radio for the yak and i want to get a better light for the back. also need a small flasher for my PFD

I also want to get a waterproof AM/FM Radio....I have these visions of me floating around Joppa at night lazily dragging an eel and listening to the Sox Games..:hee:

When I bought the Yak it was pretty much all tricked out w/ everything fishing related I needed....I did install a flush mount Scotty rod holder and move the fishfinder back because i wasn't happy with where they were installed on it.

Thinking about picking up a conventional setup to troll the T&W around with.....

BigBo 10-16-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 802674)
it would take me all winter to write the list ......... heh heh heh

i'll know in spring what got completed....

prolly gonna ice fish allot me thinks
no freakin BUGS

Whattya gonna do? Drag all your ice fishing gear across the ice on your kayak? Get some wear bars to attach to your paddle for better traction. :smash:

kenyee 10-16-2010 03:45 PM

BigFish: ever look at the Gopro videocameras?
GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports
They're a bit spendy but I've heard the video is excellent. I forgot to mention them when I saw you were looking for one. Waterproof as well (surfers use them)...

Tagger 10-18-2010 09:13 AM

cool ,, not too pricey .. right in there with waterproof camera's .. Can you mount one on a doo rag ???.. that's the question ..

Raven 10-18-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 802713)
Whattya gonna do? Drag all your ice fishing gear across the ice on your kayak? Get some wear bars to attach to your paddle for better traction. :smash:

i sure love those retractable pontoons on the Hobie sailing YAK BB

and the catamaran in waterworld won my heart with all his cool gadgetry

..... i fell in love :love: right then and there...

Backbeach Jake 10-18-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 803137)
cool ,, not too pricey .. right in there with waterproof camera's .. Can you mount one on a doo rag ???.. that's the question ..

Sure just use a dry wall screw...

Raven 10-19-2010 08:04 AM

kinda liked the idea
of a cast able fish finder
for certain applications
cost around $70 bucks

only draw back is having to
tote around the 2nd rod
set up just for that.

BigBo 10-19-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 803471)
kinda liked the idea
of a cast able fish finder
for certain applications
cost around $70 bucks

only draw back is having to
tote around the 2nd rod
set up just for that.

That's fine for freshwater shore applications. Not practical for KAYAKS

Raven 10-19-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 803497)

well at my res (the chu) theres no boats allowed
but i wondered if it could be used at the canal
instead of relying solely on sight fishing
but probably wouldn't bcuz the current is too fast

maybe at slack tide:huh:
just thought it would be cool to
drift the unit and stay riding matching your speed
to see whats what was all... on your wrist

i know -> wishful thinkin :smash:

Raven 10-19-2010 12:18 PM

ATTENTION JOHNR and Mods

as i submitted my last post this warning popped up

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...b1/warning.png

BigFish 10-19-2010 12:24 PM

Thats ok....I am not BigFish Tackle!:)

Raven 10-19-2010 03:57 PM

this i know .........SIR LAWRENCE :love:

but having to check a box every-time i wanna visit S-B
is a pain in the butt

malware is malware regardless of it's source.

BigBo 10-19-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 803534)
well at my res (the chu) theres no boats allowed
but i wondered if it could be used at the canal
instead of relying solely on sight fishing
but probably wouldn't bcuz the current is too fast

maybe at slack tide:huh:
just thought it would be cool to
drift the unit and stay riding matching your speed
to see whats what was all... on your wrist

i know -> wishful thinkin :smash:

But this is the Kayak Forum and I think we're talking kayaks here. :huh:

Rockport24 10-22-2010 11:06 AM

I'm looking to get some of those nifty tempest dry pants for kokatat and also a nice new dry top. Need to be safe for the cold water!

Would love to pick up a gps/fish finder combo with the chip that gives you all the coastal maps, but that is a luxury I prob can't afford right now.

oh yeah would also love one of them new OK Trident's.

good2hook 11-13-2010 10:04 AM

am i the only one who owns a sit in yak? Should i get a bail- out pump? Also is there a thread on yak safety needs. I've got a pfd, whistle, and that's about it. Loooks like i have a busy winter ahead of me. Might try to find a better yak, used, if the price is right.

The Dad Fisherman 11-13-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by good2hook (Post 810718)
am i the only one who owns a sit in yak? Should i get a bail- out pump? Also is there a thread on yak safety needs. I've got a pfd, whistle, and that's about it. Loooks like i have a busy winter ahead of me. Might try to find a better yak, used, if the price is right.

Not to steer anybody away to another site...but if you are into New England Kayak Fishing and looking for a COMmon place to get info I bet there is one on the internet somewhere with that info :hee:

The Dad Fisherman 11-13-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockport24 (Post 804475)
oh yeah would also love one of them new OK Trident's.

Yeah...those look very sweet :uhuh:

frogman_ch 11-13-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 810760)
Not to steer anybody away to another site...but if you are into New England Kayak Fishing and looking for a COMmon place to get info I bet there is one on the internet somewhere with that info :hee:

Gee Dad, What are you saying? :)

Tagger 12-06-2010 07:03 AM

I have to make a better plug bucket for the Hobie Outback front hatch and also intall some kind of cleats/bungees to lash my milk crate down ..

FishermanTim 12-06-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 803497)

Who says that you HAVE to cast it?
I had the one with the wrist display, and all I did was tie it to 30 lb. mono and tie it to the kayak and paddle/drift slong.

As for swaltwater applications, it would be better suited for a kayak/boat because using it from shore will only tell you where the fish WERE, not where they are going. Remember that most saltwater fish move constantly, and when they aren't, they're feeding, which you don't normally need a fishfinder to tell you.
Using one in the canal would be like using a bobber. It may tell you if there are fish, but since they are on the move as well as the current, it would be hit-or-miss if you get lucky.

blondterror 12-06-2010 05:02 PM

I plan to mount a rod holder on the right side for trolling with my conventional rod with T&W and eels ... either a Scotty or a Ram

The Dad Fisherman 12-06-2010 05:32 PM

I'm just gonna Ice Fish this winter.....nothin else. :uhuh:

frogman_ch 12-07-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by good2hook (Post 810718)

You should definetly have a hand pump with you if you are fishing from a sit-in.