Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   WHAT TO WEAR ON MY LEGS (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=86379)

dannyplug1 07-21-2014 12:45 PM

WHAT TO WEAR ON MY LEGS

I have been kayaking for at least fifteen years and I have worn a wet suit on my sit on top and occasionally wear waders. Are there any specific types of pants for kayaking? The waders are just too hot until September. And I don't want to destroy a pair of simms waders while getting in and out of the kayak. Any suggestions?

Liv2Fish 07-21-2014 04:38 PM

You wear waders in a kayak? That seems a bit dangerous. What would you do if you rolled it? Not to tell you what to do but just curious?

jonserfish 07-21-2014 06:17 PM

chest waders are very dangerous in a yak. you might have gotten away with it for a while but should not push your luck. paddling pants (and dry top for rough days) (and if needed neoprene diving socks)are the way

check out Kokata Tropos there are cheaper pants on the market but the ll bean warrenty makes them cheaper in the long run

FishermanTim 07-22-2014 10:45 AM

I chopped the legs (around knee high) off a pair of old waders for getting in and out of the kayak. This is my chouce because of the questionable water quality (algae and bacteria blooms) in some of the waters I fish. It allows me to walk in the water deep enough to launch without bottoming out.

I had more than my share of rashes from algae and bacteria issues in a number of ponds over the years and I just don't want to deal with it any more.

As for the rest of your legs and butt, you can try light cotton slacks that will dry quickly when out and about. If you are worried about the cold, then neoprene waders can do, but you have to be aware of the problem you will have getting back on/in if you flip and they fill with water.

Good luck!

Paul D 07-22-2014 11:15 AM

Waders are not dangerous & Kokatat dry pants

First waders are not necessarily dangerous. They do not drag you under. In fact when filled, the boyency isn't bad. Are they restrictive (especially when wearing wading shoes) ? Yes they are. If I'm not going to get out of my kayak and wade, I wear Kokatat dry pants with flats or kayak booties. The dry pants are very light weight and the zip up booties too. The dry pants go anywhere from $125 to $200 bucks. There's alot of other manufacturers out there besides Kokatat btw.

Liv2Fish 07-22-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul D (Post 1047509)
First waders are not necessarily dangerous. They do not drag you under. In fact when filled, the boyency isn't bad. Are they restrictive (especially when wearing wading shoes) ? Yes they are. If I'm not going to get out of my kayak and wade, I wear Kokatat dry pants with flats or kayak booties. The dry pants are very light weight and the zip up booties too. The dry pants go anywhere from $125 to $200 bucks. There's alot of other manufacturers out there besides Kokatat btw.

In any kind of a current, you're done for. Not to be a #^&#^&#^&#^& but this is bad information and wearing waders in a kayak is deadly combination. Several extremely experienced anglers from this site have drown over the last few years stepping off of an edge into moving water in waders. Yak pants with ankle seals and wet suit boots will accomplish the same thing. Again, now trying to be a #^&#^&#^&#^&.

Cool Beans 07-22-2014 06:32 PM

Flip Flops & Daisy Dukes :D

Liv2Fish 07-22-2014 06:40 PM

:rotf2:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Beans (Post 1047548)
Flip Flops & Daisy Dukes :D

Paul D 07-23-2014 03:13 PM

The Myth about waders & Exploding the waders of death myth

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3b9mUiFc0s and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs on Youtube. There's a little physics, a few safety tips, advice and talk about myths of wearing waders. On a few occassions I've tipped my kayak under controled conditions to experience how it feels to be dunked with waders on (and a pfd of course). Mobility is even more challenging if you fill your waders with water and are wearing wading boots, but you'll still float. I'm an experienced kayak fisherman and you may differ with my opinion - but I believe the number one cause of people getting in trouble out there - is falling out of sit inside kayaks and not being able to get back inside. It was a determining factor of me buying a sit on top Also, if its cold enough to have to wear waders and you do get dunked, you better off wearing something water tight to avoid hypothermia. In the end kayaking is alot like baseball, play the percentages and follow all the standard safety rules - and if at all possible, kayak with a buddy.

Liv2Fish 07-23-2014 04:59 PM

Wow! I must say, he makes a pretty damn good case and clearly the key is the quick self rescue which, as you point out, you won't be able to do with a sit in side yak. I'm very surprised. Thanks for sharing.

Rockport24 07-24-2014 02:31 PM

Paul D has said it all - get the Kokatat tempest dry pants and you are set.

Cool Beans 07-25-2014 09:02 AM

So am I the only guy out there fishign from his kayak in cut-offs and flip flops? Especially durign the daylight.. if after dark I do have a shortie wet suit I wear, but summertime and daylight.. it's shorts and flip flops all day long.

(cut off just above the knee, not actually Daisy Dukes) :D

Rockport24 07-25-2014 09:29 AM

No, in the summer I go with the shorts too! I'm talking mainly in the spring and fall

Liv2Fish 07-25-2014 09:37 AM

I was thinking azless chaps would be sweet, unless you launch from a crowded ramp. Cool on the bottom and sun block on top. easy swimming too.