Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   man bitten by great white in truro today? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94055)

Jim in CT 08-15-2018 07:10 PM

man bitten by great white in truro today?

sketchy details, happened at long book beach, bit in leg and torso.

spence 08-15-2018 07:15 PM

Sounds like he's lucky he was found before he might have bled out.

Rappin Mikey 08-15-2018 08:17 PM

I read he was not on the main portion of the beach. People tend to go commando out there sometime. God speed to a good recovery.

puppet 08-16-2018 08:16 AM

I am a bit surprised by the note that he was just standing/wading in water.

I did not think Great Whites would strike something in that orientation...like what on their menu would have that posture. Perhaps he was wading...saw the shark and tried to swim away.

I know its kind of stupid to wonder about these things, but at the same time I wonder what the right thing to do if you see a shark like that while wading. Stand still and slowly back away...sort of like one would do with a grizzly?

I would never worry too much about sharks while fishing, but this incident has me rethinking my logic a bit.

redlite 08-16-2018 02:09 PM

We watched an absolute epic battle in cc bay this mornin. Kid landed about a 10ft great white on bass gear on a yo-yo ed pogie. Kid beasted it for over an hour Kudos to the dude runnin the boat. Don't know how they didnt break it off. Must have been perfect hook set. They were recordin the battle. Hope it pops up on you tube. we at first that it was a tuna even though we were only in about 25 ft of water. We had 2 MASSIVE explosions next to our boat as well that scared the bejesus out of us that we assumed were bft until the shark battle. It was sick. This shark #^&#^&#^&#^& is gettin out of control. As my old mentor TC used to say, once u enter the water past your knees, u r no longer the top of the food chain
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz 08-16-2018 06:57 PM

Seal eaten by great white today, better video!!!

https://www.facebook.com/wcvb5/videos/220395778819372/

numbskull 08-16-2018 07:43 PM

Is there anywhere else in the world where the risk of encountering a great white shark while swimming in shallow water is greater than the outer cape?

Nebe 08-16-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 1149002)
Is there anywhere else in the world where the risk of encountering a great white shark while swimming in shallow water is greater than the outer cape?

South Africa

bassballer 08-17-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1149004)
South Africa

I said yesterday I feel like the outer cape is becoming South Africa.

JohnR 08-17-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1149004)
South Africa

Ding, ding, ding ^^^^^

MakoMike 08-17-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 1149002)

Seal Island off the coast of South Africa.

JohnR 08-17-2018 08:15 AM

Another Truro man gets revenge

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.rich...8108728539542/

numbskull 08-17-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1149027)
Seal Island off the coast of South Africa.

Right, but that is not a recreational beach.

I have heard of mainland beaches in SA that have lots of juvenile white sharks mixed in with swimmers/surfers but attacks are apparently rare maybe because sharks of this size are keyed on fish.

I know Australia has issues with Tiger sharks that apparently is pretty bad.

I suspect the outer cape is rapidly becoming one of the most dangerous places on earth to swim in water waist deep or deeper.

Got Stripers 08-17-2018 04:18 PM

Interesting shark week about 4-5 white tip and maco shark attackes in a relatively new beach resort, the dramatic drop to extreme depths brought those deep water sharks shallow in response they think to children feeding shallow water fish. They actually put a 40,000 fine on those feedings to hopefully eliminate the draw. I can’t remember where it was however.

Clammer 08-17-2018 07:26 PM

watching shark week . there was a show where they were getting attacks in some southern cal, beaches .
then I saw another one were tons of seals were basically being left alone because at a certain time/ water temp the sharks focost [sp] of fish [ which can equal people] ..

MakoMike 08-18-2018 10:33 AM

I just read an article the other day about how abalone poachers somewhere in South Africa were being regularly eaten by Great Whites. I'll see if I can find that article again.

Clammer 08-18-2018 11:44 AM

FYI today on N/G from 1 -2Pm there is a show on sharks on the cape .guess I,ll watch it ><><>:fishin:

Rappin Mikey 08-18-2018 01:58 PM

I'm the guy in the kayak that she flashes quick in on. I had just dropped a line over the ledge with my kayak about two hundred yards off shore. I decided to paddle in to shore away from where the attack was happening in front of my car because I could see where the shark was and I knew he was preoccupied. By the time I got back to my truck, the shark was finishing off what was floating of the seal and swam into my line that I had just dropped. It cut my line before I could even feel any tension. They have sharp skin. I have that part on video but there are some swears in it.

fishgolf 08-18-2018 04:19 PM

Yikes! Glad you made it safely!!

spence 08-18-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1149073)
I just read an article the other day about how abalone poachers somewhere in South Africa were being regularly eaten by Great Whites. I'll see if I can find that article again.

It's like if you're being mugged, you toss your wallet and run. If these guys would just toss their abalone and swim away they'd be fine. :walk:

Raven 08-19-2018 05:34 AM

read that

that beach is now closed indefinitly for swimming

good beach for fishing maybe? dunno

Rob Rockcrawler 08-19-2018 06:40 AM

I don’t see the sense in closing the beach indefinitely, lots of sharks lots of seals and lots of beach.

MakoMike 08-19-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1149084)
It's like if you're being mugged, you toss your wallet and run. If these guys would just toss their abalone and swim away they'd be fine. :walk:

Not true, at least based on the article, they are being attacked on their way to and back from the abalone grounds. Sorry, I couldn't find the article again, IIRC it was in the NY Times, but I'm getting an error message.

spence 08-19-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1149115)
Not true, at least based on the article, they are being attacked on their way to and back from the abalone grounds.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek...

blondterror 08-19-2018 06:09 PM

spence: here is the link to that NYT article about the abalone divers who are poaching and getting attacked by sharks

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/31/w...-poaching.html