Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Life without a thumb (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=89689)

basswipe 12-18-2015 02:05 PM

Life without a thumb

Sliced my right thumb to the bone today including the tendon.Looks and feels minor but it is not so.Will see an orthopedic surgeon Tues. morning.

Taking clothes off,tying shoes has become a major chore as I'm right handed.

Drinking left handed sucks.Twisting one is impossible,Nebe I need your help!

spence 12-18-2015 02:47 PM

That hurt just reading it.

Back in college I knew a guy that only had one hand. So at breakfast one morning he's trying to carry two bowls, a plate and a glass. Drops everything in a gigantic mess. Everybody is starting and trying not to laugh.

He looks up and says "guys, sometimes only having one hand really sucks."

basswipe 12-18-2015 03:21 PM

You know its not good when you look into the slice and see that white "thing".

Smoking a porkloin for Sunday.....someone else will be slicing the meat:hihi::eyes:

The Dad Fisherman 12-18-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswipe (Post 1088917)
Smoking a porkloin for Sunday.....

I bet that's a bitch to twist up :hee:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

basswipe 12-18-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1088922)
I bet that's a bitch to twist up :hee:

Even with two thumbs!:biglaugh:

Raven 12-19-2015 08:16 AM

time for a new pipe... sorry to hear about your accident.

one day I was sharpening an African Zulu warrior's spear head
no friggan idea why :huh: and it was getting super sharp too...
then I suddenly stuck out my thumb as I pushed the disk sharpener
down the shiny edge cutting it right to the bone.

all we had at the time was a friggan Moped so I sat on the back with my hand
wrapped in a towel and we proceeded (slowly @ 30 mph) to get some
stitches.

Nebe 12-19-2015 08:51 AM

That sucks. I suggest a little one hitter until you can get back to your regular scheduled activities. It is my greatest fear in life to lose use of my hands. :(

basswipe 12-19-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1088943)
That sucks. I suggest a little one hitter until you can get back to your regular scheduled activities. It is my greatest fear in life to lose use of my hands. :(

In the last 24hrs I have tried to grab something with my right hand,I'm like a dog in training......"OW=NO!"The ER doc told me that pain is good as it means feeling and movement.

Zeal 12-21-2015 04:10 PM

Had my thumb reconstructed and had to live with one hand for months on end, any tricks you wanna know just shoot me a PM

basswipe 12-26-2015 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=Zeal;1089043]Had my thumb reconstructed and had to live with one hand for months on end, any tricks you wanna know just shoot me a PM[/QUOTE

Saw the surgeon this past Tues. and she's convinced the tendon will in heal on its own because of the nature of the laceration.Its been a week and I almost have full movement.Now that its healing its starting itch like crazy.

Btw MSG is March to see the boys?

Raven 12-27-2015 05:34 AM

itchy is a very good sign
keep up the good work

Zeal 12-28-2015 02:29 PM

Let it itch! If there is any scar tissue left over, typically when it breaks it has a sharp and ripping feeling. Though I doubt that will be your case and a lucky break for you!

basswipe 12-28-2015 04:26 PM

Going to see the surgeon again tomorrow...hopefully stitches out and I'm back to normal.

basswipe 12-29-2015 07:51 PM

Stitches out and everything looks good with the tendon.Recommended therapy is to start using it.

I can only imagine if I had done this with a steak knife instead of a brand new utility blade.