Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   30 years ago today (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67815)

tautog 12-08-2010 06:42 AM

30 years ago today

I can still remember Howard Cosell breaking the news on him being shot. RIP

YouTube - John Lennon - Jealous Guy
YouTube - John Lennon stand by me

BigFish 12-08-2010 07:16 AM

I remember all too well. Can't believe 30 years have passed already???

Raider Ronnie 12-08-2010 07:23 AM

%$%$%$%$ YOU MARK DAVID CHAPMAN !

BigFish 12-08-2010 07:28 AM

I was hoping MDC would have started rotting in hell long ago.....hopefully soon!!:fury:

Raven 12-08-2010 07:32 AM

i keep hoping they'll let him out so true justice can be served

stcroixman 12-08-2010 07:40 AM

Wow 30 years. We can only wonder what might have happened.

Nebe 12-08-2010 07:54 AM

I was 7 then and remember watching the news with my mom. She was devastated.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles 12-08-2010 08:19 AM

It is a shame that a life was taken but from a musical standpoint I can say without reservation that I have zero remorse.Never been able to appreciate the Beatles at all and the sight and sounds of Yoko are fodder for the zoo.

Back Beach 12-08-2010 09:19 AM

In stark contrast to Dangles(no surprise :hee:) the more I listen to music, the more I enjoy and appreciate not just Lennon, but the Beatles, period. I agree with Chris the Yoko stuff is/was no doubt annoying and a detractor. In terms of their contributions to music there's nobody before,since, or after who will shake the tree quite like they did...love em or hate em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m8uoObnWQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Pr5o8AAc0

RIJIMMY 12-08-2010 09:26 AM

I rarely listen to them however their music was brilliant. You sit with a bunch of Rush or Metallica fans and they''ll talk about all the time changes those bands do, which are obvious and in your face while the Beatles were subtle. Many tunes move from 4/4 to 3/4. But its used as a musical tool not as a "see how cool we are" vehicle. Their melodies are amazing, use of strings and other instruments and most importantly their studio work. Prior to the Beatles, the recording studio was the last place musicians went, once songs were complete. The Beatles wrote in the studio, pioneering all kinds of recording techniques. They basicially invented psychadelic music.
This is my fav tune, released in 1966 and still sounds as modern as todays music.

YouTube - The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows

Nebe 12-08-2010 10:15 AM

:hihi:

YouTube - Woman is the Nigger of the World - John Lennon

RIJIMMY 12-08-2010 10:32 AM

I love when they play that tune at weddings!

The Dad Fisherman 12-08-2010 10:39 AM

I think one of the most amzing things about the beatles was the fact that.....People forget all that great music they put out....they were only together 7 years.

Could you imagine what they could have done if they had a lengthy career like the Stones.

BigFish 12-08-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 816774)
It is a shame that a life was taken but from a musical standpoint I can say without reservation that I have zero remorse.Never been able to appreciate the Beatles at all and the sight and sounds of Yoko are fodder for the zoo.

And what kind of music do you like?:scratch: Pray tell?

Sea Dangles 12-08-2010 11:35 AM

Larry,I'm a fan of all types of music.I go see live music quite a bit too.I recently saw the Black Crows,Roger Waters,AC/DC.I like the blues,most reggae,big Allman Bros fan.....but if I ever hear yellow submarine or yesterday again I'll be tempted to shave my head with a cheese grater.I am not downplaying their impact from an historical perspective, I just can't stand ANY of their music.I think it is terribleand if they had a free show in my neighborhood,I would shut my windows.Goo goo ca choo!Some of the solo efforts are tolerable like Cold Turkey,and Band on the run and every time I hear no no no no I don't smoke it no more,I end up on the floor.

Nebe 12-08-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 816837)
Larry,I'm a fan of all types of music.I go see live music quite a bit too.I recently saw the Black Crows,Roger Waters,AC/DC.I like the blues,most reggae,big Allman Bros fan.....but if I ever hear yellow submarine or yesterday again I'll be tempted to shave my head with a cheese grater.I am not downplaying their impact from an historical perspective, I just can't stand ANY of their music.I think it is terribleand if they had a free show in my neighborhood,I would shut my windows.Goo goo ca choo!Some of the solo efforts are tolerable like Cold Turkey,and Band on the run and every time I hear no no no no I don't smoke it no more,I end up on the floor.

Im in your Camp Dangles.. but i do love Black Bird and Rocky Raccoon... :uhuh:

Tagger 12-08-2010 12:03 PM

Beatles evolved . I remember when the lead part to Day Tripper was like shredding.. Tame (guitar 101)by today's standards.. Beatles lead the british invasion. My favirotes , Rubber Soul , Revolver, White Album , Abbey Road .. sorry ,,, lost me on Magial Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper.. I was listening to Hendrix :).. When they split I liked some Lennon stuff . Working Class Hero ,,, said the F word in that , "ouch" a far cry from "I Want To Hold Your Hand .. RIP John Lennon ,, end of an error ...

BigFish 12-08-2010 01:32 PM

I get ya Chris! Yeah there are songs that bore me to tears and if I hear them again I may take a cheese grater to my head! Yellow Submarine is one of those for sure! However there are songs like "Yesterday", "Hey Jude", "Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road" to name only a few.....that are sheer magic!!! I am a huge Beatles fan and a fan of their solo work as well............but I do enjoy Blues and harder rock....something with more meat on the bone!!! :uhuh:

Love the "cheese grater" comment!!:rotf2:

RIJIMMY 12-08-2010 02:12 PM

You guys should the get the cd Alvin and the Chipmunks sing the Beatles! My kid loves it

The Dad Fisherman 12-08-2010 02:22 PM

I'm a big fan of their Christmas Album

RIJIMMY 12-08-2010 02:49 PM

no one can derail a thread like me!

I actually think Alvin is a better guitar player than Jerry Garcia.

YouTube - Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas Don't Be Late (original TV)