Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Trump puts Remington into Bankruptcy (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93396)

Pete F. 02-19-2018 03:08 PM

Trump puts Remington into Bankruptcy

He's not good for everyone :deadhorse:
"The firearm industry was riding high during the run-up to the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Former first lady, senator, and secretary of state Hillary Clinton was favored to win, and a wide array of gun advocates warned of a looming Second Amendment crackdown. Earlier that same year, then-President Barack Obama stoked similar fears by proposing to expand federal background checks for purchases.
That year, firearm purchases soared.
But President Donald Trump's upset over Clinton seems to have helped in reversing all that.
Fears of a crackdown have tapered off under a president who calls himself a "true friend" of the National Rifle Association (NRA). And gun sales have tapered off, too.
It's against this background that, exactly one week ago, legendary gun manufacturer Remington Outdoor Company said it would file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy."
John Peterson

spence 02-19-2018 03:48 PM

Smells like a Government bail out forming...

nightfighter 02-19-2018 05:09 PM

Remington's outlook had more to do with decisions made inside Remington than with the election's outcome..... Do the research on the corporate history, debt service, and recent court cases before you make this the result of the political system

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r..._medium=Social

Sea Dangles 02-19-2018 05:38 PM

Remington has had their share of product failure as well as an especially hurtful recall.

But yes, it's Trumps fault.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 02-19-2018 07:50 PM

Whole industry is shaking.

Pete F. 02-19-2018 11:21 PM

I didn’t seriously mean that he was responsible but he does take responsibility for everything good and there are some people in this country who would think that the demise of Remington is a great thing

wdmso 03-26-2018 05:46 AM

Remington's chief financial officer said the company's sales dropped significantly in the year before its bankruptcy,

In anticipation of a Hillary Clinton presidency, some weapons manufacturers had increased production, expecting greater sales from Americans fearing increased gun control.

its all about the fear ... its a supply and demand issue Americans just are not buying guns.. to support the market defense contracts will the only source of revenue left .. for theses company's

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43540708

scottw 03-26-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1140178)

Americans just are not buying guns..

clearly....

Sea Dangles 03-26-2018 06:21 AM

Wayne,go back to bed and clear your head. If you don't think Americans are buying guns then your cheese slid off the cracker. Did Pontiac go under because Americans are not buying cars?

JohnR 03-26-2018 06:33 AM

Americans are buying guns. Just now that the America's best Guns Salesmen, Obama and Hillary, are not as prominent sales have receded to normal levels.

Remington had numerous issues:

Costs from lawsuits / trigger recall
Moderate sales
Costs moving from NY to the south
Buying too many companies
Poor management

Jim in CT 03-26-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1140180)
Wayne Did Pontiac go under because Americans are not buying cars?

No, they went under because of George Bush.

We have really gone into the Twilight Zone with this thread.

The Dad Fisherman 03-26-2018 07:43 AM

These guys seem to be on the upswing.

https://www.sigsauer.com/company/history/

wdmso 03-26-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1140180)
Wayne,go back to bed and clear your head. If you don't think Americans are buying guns then your cheese slid off the cracker. Did Pontiac go under because Americans are not buying cars?

Both are effected by market forces and if you think there are enough gun buyers to support gun makers you haven't been paying attention

The company, which owns the famous Smith & Wesson brand, reported a 33% year-over-year decline in quarterly net sales, and profits that sank 65%.

The company also said Thursday that it's eliminated 200 jobs last quarter.

The market is shirnking and the causes are from mutiple directions

And if I know my history the same thing happened pontiac a brand

Amid late 2000s financial problems and restructuring efforts, GM announced in 2008 it would follow the same path with Pontiac as it had with Oldsmobile in 2004 and discontinued manufacturing and marketing vehicles under that brand by the end of 2010.leaving GM to focus on its four remaining North American brands: Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC.

Sea Dangles 03-26-2018 05:45 PM

Wayne ,you said "Americans are not buying guns"
This is either a lie or you hit your head.

wdmso 03-27-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1140201)
Wayne ,you said "Americans are not buying guns"
This is either a lie or you hit your head.

Americans just are not buying guns.. to support the market

seems you missed that part or did you need to word enough guns to follow along

Sea Dangles 03-27-2018 09:17 AM

Nice try,when you do this..
and then continue your nonsense with an attempt at a rare coherent sentence it gets..confusing
But I suppose you think that everybody should communicate that way and it is perfectly normal as long as it makes sense to you.

Nebe 03-27-2018 01:14 PM

its a far fetch to blame trump and Co on pushing remmington into bankruptcy, but we all know that Obama and Hillary certainly are responsible for the gun buying boom in the last 9 years. Thanks Obama... Thanks for creating a bubble. :lurk: