Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stripers on a worm hatch (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92407)

piemma 06-14-2017 07:43 AM

Stripers on a worm hatch

Almost impossible to catch unless....

I went back to the flyrod and a fly we tied in 92/93 while hanging at Murats. Just a small hook with dark green chenille at the head and a dark red body. Total about 2 to 2 1/2".

So I absolutely crush the fish on it. Most were 18 to 20" except one that was I don't know how big. Took me into the backing and then snapped the 10# tippet. WHAT A BLAST.:bgi:

albythereforyou 06-19-2017 08:32 AM

NICE! I love me a good worm hatch! the water temps down by me are still kinda cool for our worms to come out, and so far I have yet to find a decent hatch by me. The nights I did find worms, I only found a few fish on them, nothing crazy...

piemma 06-21-2017 07:30 AM

Have not seen one since.:huh:

albythereforyou 06-21-2017 09:26 AM

last night I went looking in some 65 degree water and man i found the motherload of bunker and super dink bass feeding on worms. I could watch the bunker moving in the current actively eating worms (or just eating some plankton around them, but it sure looked like there were eating them). got a dozen or so super dink bass (barely larger then a bunker), and about 6 bunker hooked in the mouth on the fly.

I had my surf rod with me, so I livelined a bunker for 45 minutes with not a whiff. its so sad how #^&#^&#^&#^&ty the surf fishing in the western sound is.

piemma 06-25-2017 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albythereforyou (Post 1123927)
last night I went looking in some 65 degree water and man i found the motherload of bunker and super dink bass feeding on worms. I could watch the bunker moving in the current actively eating worms (or just eating some plankton around them, but it sure looked like there were eating them). got a dozen or so super dink bass (barely larger then a bunker), and about 6 bunker hooked in the mouth on the fly.

I had my surf rod with me, so I livelined a bunker for 45 minutes with not a whiff. its so sad how #^&#^&#^&#^&ty the surf fishing in the western sound is.

That's awesome stuff. Surf fishing has been pretty bad in RI also. I've been doing good in the boat but even there, you need to put your time in.

RIROCKHOUND 06-25-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1124109)
That's awesome stuff. Surf fishing has been pretty bad in RI also. I've been doing good in the boat but even there, you need to put your time in.

Tons of fly rod sized bass down by me right now, on small bait, not worms. Haven't seen much bigger than that though...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma 06-26-2017 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1124116)
Tons of fly rod sized bass down by me right now, on small bait, not worms. Haven't seen much bigger than that though...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Had couple of great days with a lot of fish mid-20s. Very slow the last few days.

RIROCKHOUND 06-27-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1124145)
Had couple of great days with a lot of fish mid-20s. Very slow the last few days.

The ones this morning were less than 2X the length of the 5" senko paddletail I was throwing. Smaller than pogies. Good sign of the future, but some of the tiniest I have ever caught.

piemma 06-27-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 1124209)
The ones this morning were less than 2X the length of the 5" senko paddletail I was throwing. Smaller than pogies. Good sign of the future, but some of the tiniest I have ever caught.

Where the heck are you finding Stripers that small?

albythereforyou 06-30-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1124239)
Where the heck are you finding Stripers that small?

I can't speak for him, but..

down near me, when they built I95, they dug out some VERY DEEP ponds (35 ft) for the fill for 95. some of those ponds they connected to LIS, and they fill and empty about 2+ with the tides...

I've caught striped bass and weakfish 3-5" inches long with the flyrod in them.

bucko 07-01-2017 07:27 AM

Finding 3-5 inch bass in local rivers is good news.

Perhaps striped bass spawning is now occurring in our New England rivers. I have been told by a retired fish biochemist that all bass need to spawn is access to fresh water..