Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Whats everybody working on??? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=62515)

Rockfish9 03-03-2010 12:38 PM

Whats everybody working on???

Now that plugfest is over and fishing season around the corner.... what is everybody working on to round out the building season?

Myself.. I'm working a some Pikies for a swap, instead of going with my usual size/pattern, I'm working on a slightly different body...both straight and jointed... so what up?

Back Beach 03-03-2010 12:48 PM

I actually started building rods but got back into plugs after viewing the plugfest thread.

I'm basically trying to refine my work so it looks and functions better with fewer blems.
I'm also re doing some stuff like the eelies, which I'm now making out of pine instead of fir and doing a bunch of slope headed stuff as my bravery grows....right now I have four giant pikies ready for primer, some eelies with sloped heads, and some 5.5" conrads. Also adding grommets to everything as I like the appearance.

This am I test swam about 15 plugs and did some tuning too. The eelies are going to be deadly...:fishin:

The Dad Fisherman 03-03-2010 01:15 PM

I was listening to Stiff Tip talking to somebody at Plugfest and overheard him saying "Se This big plug here.....beautiful Plug....ain't caught Chit on it, All the bait has been small the past couple of years"

So I went home and made some small canal style pencils and howdy's....the small pencils are almost ready for some paint. Weighted them 2 different ways to see which I like best.

chefchris401 03-03-2010 01:30 PM

Ive been busy. building a 7" danny, surfsters, atom jr, small needles due to all the sand eels everywhere last year and some old school and oddball stuff, like a predator, nike and some vintage replicas with new twists.

its crazy how much time and effort everyone puts in to plugs, its great and keeps me sane in the winter.

Its getting close guys, already caught my first freshwater fish, a crappie, 3lb largemouth and 5.5lb largemouth and not ice fishing either, was on saturday fishing rapalas before work, great way to start the day.

Mugz 03-03-2010 01:40 PM

Unfortunaltely.......NOTHING at the moment. :fury: Soon, very soon....:soon:

Diggin Jiggin 03-03-2010 02:09 PM

I've got some little stuff for albie's I'm wrapping up. Then there's a few pencils I turned last year that I finish, after that I've got a big bucket of rubber to mess around with..

JFigliuolo 03-03-2010 03:43 PM

Swap Pikies :)

Finnishing up some needles and maybe a slim swimmer if I get around to it.

BILLC 03-03-2010 04:11 PM

Pikies, straight and jointed and bottles under 4"s. Can't stop turning these two styles.:screwy:

Striperknight 03-03-2010 04:13 PM

4 inch surfsters and some 6 inch Lefty copies.

Tagger 03-03-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 751923)
I was listening to Stiff Tip talking to somebody at Plugfest and overheard him saying "Se This big plug here.....beautiful Plug....ain't caught Chit on it, All the bait has been small the past couple of years"

I didn't hear that there but was actaully going to start a thread on that .. I did talk with PM about the subject .. Last year little stuff ruled .. 5 3/4" cordell pencils ... My small needle .. even out at BI ,,, small sand eel size baits . Also some plugs were off .. My jiiggy spook was not my got to,, savior for the first time in 4 yrs. I was wondering with the popularity of that plug if every fish up and down the coast has seen it .. Then what Flaps thinking was at the end of last season ... Just try to throw something different than everyone eles .. To answer the question I'm making all small stuff .. with the exception of large predators and darters .

jeffthechef 03-03-2010 04:27 PM

just took my first attempt at surface poppers out of the val oil and finishing up some metal lips for a swap in april....test swam a flaptail, my first one, i was psyched at the action...

angler229 03-03-2010 05:22 PM

Building a few juniors now that I have them figured out. Also working on replacing a bunch of my fishing supply that I have traded and given away. Finally, like at the end of every building season I'll build some one off stuff to try fishing this season.

VTBasser 03-03-2010 05:26 PM

I am working on a GooGoo from an original a friend had and would like a copy of.

numbskull 03-03-2010 05:39 PM

Musso medium lipless swimmer
Musso large BD next
Masterlure big mouth popper.
Bluestreak large popper (real sweet plug!).
Musso Maple Sr and maybe a Conrad Sr or two.
Only a few of each.

Then I got 2-3 rods I wanted to build and a plug bag to make......but that ain't likely. Start trout fishing Sat :smash:

Slipknot 03-03-2010 05:42 PM

no time for plugs yet:( busy building boxes, but that's a good thing.
one of these days I'll make something

wrikerjr 03-03-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 752019)
Musso large BD next

George, i have one of those if you need it for reference. An eastender named Lu should have it pretty soon:). Then its scheduled to stay on the eastend with a master BD builder, but if you need it let me know and it will make its way up to your place.:jump1:

Kindest,
Billy

Backbeach Jake 03-03-2010 06:26 PM

Long and skinny anythings, proportionaly. Sandeely looking stuff. Needles, dannys, pencil looking pencils. Dunno why, just have a feeling.

winchmaster 03-03-2010 06:27 PM

Just finished up these Pikies and Have a bunch of other plugs waiting to be finished. It is raining here way too much for finish work though. Need some good California sun to get back at it hard.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...allink_ltr.gif

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...7-imgp0496.jpg

numbskull 03-03-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrikerjr (Post 752034)
George, i have one of those if you need it for reference. An eastender named Lu should have it pretty soon:). Then its scheduled to stay on the eastend with a master BD builder, but if you need it let me know and it will make its way up to your place.:jump1:

Kindest,
Billy

Thanks, Billy. Someday I'd like to get my mitts on it, but for now I'm planning to just wing it (at least until I ho one off Lu :uhuh:).

eastendlu 03-03-2010 09:44 PM

I will send a clone up to you quick George.I will be trying to finish some swap pike and a jointed pike. Their is a proto that i have been on for over a year now that i am making specifically for the canal and i think its time to get er done. I just left the tool room trying to get lu tools done and then start on the next batch of tools (wire benders) the request for them has been brisk.:smash:

saltydog 03-04-2010 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Im finnishing of a cedar plug w/ a few shots of paint, leaving the wood to show threw.
top is GOLD it Blends in to the wood, you have to look at it to see the color.
belly is wood an DAB of RED an some CREAM.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:biglaugh:

mfm22 03-04-2010 11:02 AM

Since the fest I've dabbled in some different styles .
A few small pikies inspired by Lower
some needles ..Ihad some maple just needed to work out weighting.
a couple of surfsters
And a whole bunch os smaller dannies and spins .

eskimo 03-04-2010 11:54 AM

I have so much crap going on I'm not even sure but everything will go aside so that I can finish the needles I've been working on.

GFGF 03-05-2010 07:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres most of my batch for the season . about 25 total this year.
GF

numbskull 03-05-2010 07:23 PM

Neat. Thanks for showing them.

Jigman 03-05-2010 09:51 PM

Been working on a variety of plugs. Half day at work today so I sealed a batch of stuff. Some freshwater plugs like 3/8 and 1/2 oz atoms, two sizes of jitterbugs, and 3/4 oz pikies. Striper stuff included 1 1/2 and 2 1/4 oz bottles, 1 1/4 and 2 oz bottle darters, 1.4 and 2 oz pikies, 2 oz needles, various sizes of atom style plugs, some eel types, and a few spooks cause you can never have too many :hihi:

Jigman

Mr. Krinkle 03-06-2010 06:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I wanted to bring some of these to the plug fest, but I couldn't make it due to work. Here are some pics of what my friend and I have done this year. Some spooks, Dannies, and different size pencils. I was able to make over a 100 plugs this year. I plan on giving a lot away to friends.

Today I worked on some 6" pikes, and some MONSTER jointed pikies. Will post them when i'm done.

pbadad 03-06-2010 06:15 PM

Working on a couple rods for some friends and going to make a proto of a needle with a large center section, with a big eye dadoed large to make it thin in the side . Kinda like an offset turning w/o the turning I guess.

ProfessorM 03-07-2010 08:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
some stuff is starting to get finished. Lots more to go and plenty that won't be :uhuh: I think you can tell what my favorite pattern is

BILLC 03-07-2010 08:50 AM

Very nice Prof, you do your favorite pattern well!:uhuh: