Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Createx Chameleon (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=85102)

Eric Roach 02-18-2014 10:03 AM

Createx Chameleon

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think Createx makes this particular paint anymore. The picture below is the lilac sheen -- the green sheen is the best opalescent color I've ever seen for baitfish sides; the base color had an almost pink, creamy tint.

I've looked at the Auto-air chameleons from Createx but they really are different animals.

Can anyone recommend a product close to these original chameleon paints? If no one can help I'll try to mix some paints and opalescent powder to make something close.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric

ThrowingTimber 02-18-2014 10:52 AM

you have a pm

The green is the last one on the list.

the greek 02-18-2014 10:56 AM

Golden makes a bunch and they are fantastic. The iridescent blue, violet, and gold are great. They also have some doubles that look great too. The blue-green is a very fishy looking color shot over a grey. Add a drop of black to them and the colors intensify greatly. Shot over black they really pop.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Eric Roach 02-18-2014 01:29 PM

Thanks, Vic, and thanks Greek for the tips on mixing & blending the Golden paints. Looks like I have some stuff to try.

ProfessorM 02-18-2014 04:22 PM

I too like Golden. I also bought up a lot of the Createx when I heard they were going to discontinue that paint.

scmarques 02-24-2014 07:57 PM

I had some luck finding the chameleon Createx at a nail salon. Granted that was 2 years ago but it never hurts to ask.

Eric Roach 02-25-2014 07:54 PM

Huh, wouldn't have thought of that. I'll check it out.

pbadad 02-26-2014 08:07 AM

Where can you buy Golden paints? I'm not familiar w/this product. Always looking to keep variety in plug building/painting.

EricW 02-26-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1033209)
Where can you buy Golden paints? I'm not familiar w/this product. Always looking to keep variety in plug building/painting.

They can be found at the good art stores in Boston and I am sure other cities. There are a bunch along mass Ave. they are also available online.
They make specific airbrush paint as well as other acrylics. The acrylics can be thinned with their airbrush medium and transparent extender both of which I really like. You can turn any of their acrylic paints into airbrush by thinning with the medium.

One word of warning though. Some of these "better paints" in acrylic (not thinned already) have stuff like cadmium and other harmful chemicals that shouldn't be atomized. Golden anyway does have warning labels for these. at least last time i looked.
I am a big fan of their interference paints too. The gold one looks just like the bottom of a menhaden.

Swimmer 02-26-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1033209)

On-line @Blick in Boston.