Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   What's the best windows now. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81649)

Saltheart 03-27-2013 06:56 PM

What's the best windows now.

First everyone wanted Anderson , then it was Pella , what's considered the best windows now..both new construction and replacement?

nightfighter 03-27-2013 07:13 PM

Stay the eff away from pella.......

I like Andersen esp their 400 series, and Marvins. Marvin also has a mid range called Infinity.

Hookedagain 03-27-2013 08:04 PM

I put 15 Anderson 400 series in my house and have been very happy with them. I ordered the from the Depot and had them delivered right to my house direct. My windows are special order, 3 over 1. White vinyl outer and natural wood inside. around $400 each.

Saltheart 03-27-2013 08:42 PM

Whats the difference between the 400 series and the 200 series Anderson's?

Slipknot 03-27-2013 08:51 PM

Jeld-Wen are pretty decent for the money

I am partial to Marvin but they are not what they used to be

I have Harvey Industries - Majestic windows in my house , they are aluminum clad out and real wood inside.

Slipknot 03-27-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 991537)
Stay the eff away from pella.......

I like Andersen esp their 400 series, and Marvins. Marvin also has a mid range called Infinity.

I thought it was Integrity

Fishpart 03-27-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltheart (Post 991565)
Whats the difference between the 400 series and the 200 series Anderson's?

400 is tilt wash. My house has 200 series since 1974. Replaced the sashes in08 because the gas had leaked out after 20 years or so. Good windows far as I can tell glad I didnt cave for vinyl...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 03-27-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 991570)
I thought it was Integrity

You are right....:smash:

Mike,
The 400 series have smoother operating balusters, block more noise, and offer more options. If you are going to paint the interior, get them factory primed.

BigFish 03-27-2013 09:42 PM

We have been putting Anderson 400 series in the house and they are awesome!!!

Mr. Sandman 03-29-2013 06:44 AM

I have Anderson through-out my home and the crank mechanism to open them sucks. Several have broken (gears stripped). They were put in when the house was built in 2000. I removed the crank and they no longer sell the part. I can not tell you how PO'ed I was.

I can tell you I will not use them in the future.

BigFish 03-29-2013 07:25 AM

We have Anderson double hung and Pella casements....the Pellas are awesome!!! No crank issues at all with those! Looked at the Anderson and the Marvin casement windows.....did not care for the quality at all.

Saltheart 03-29-2013 03:18 PM

I had problems with crank windows for years. Now its sliders for special apps but regular double hung wherever possible. I currently have a 48 year old Bay window with crank sides that will never open but I plan to replace it with a flat slider. This will give me the "picture" window look but no bow out under the soffets which leads to ice dam issues.

Fishpart 03-29-2013 03:29 PM

Mike, they make bays with double hungs on the sides. I have three no problem. Gives the cat a place to spend the day and watch the world. Insulation will fix the ice issue.

nightfighter 03-29-2013 04:41 PM

Big bay windows need to be supported with aircraft cables. If not, they eventually sag, and the side windows get out of square, which is why they don't operate as they should. Can also support with knees and/or box frame under the window. I have fixed bays without replacing by jacking until plumb and square, then installing the knees under the sill. Measure both diagonals to see if square.

Saltheart 03-29-2013 08:41 PM

The one I have has the supports underneath. After almost 50 years its pretty shot though. The sides don't crank , the putty is all falling out (I re corlked ) its single pane glass so it probably costs me $300 a year in lost heat...time to go.

Funny you should mention the cat ED. :) When i was doing more jewelry craft i once made my first cat a 3.5 carat citrine pendant set in 14 Kt gold. She had yellow eyes and when she sat on the bay window sill at night in the pitch black you could see the light from a street light reflecting off her. In the darkness you could see 2 yellow relections off her eyes and a third, in the middle below, reflecting off her citrine gem pendent which hung off her collar. :) Whenever I took her to the vet , the vet and all her assistants would all come to see her and admire her 3.5 carat gemstone. :)

Grapenuts 03-30-2013 05:20 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Sandman;991807]I have Anderson through-out my home and the crank mechanism to open them sucks. Several have broken (gears stripped). They were put in when the house was built in 2000. I removed the crank and they no longer sell the part. I can not tell you how PO'ed I was.

I can tell you I will not use them in the future.[/QUOTE

They sell the handle.crank and arm as one unit...I just replace a few on some old wood frame andersons....the hardware was 175.00...still cheaper then buying a new window.

Swimmer 04-29-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 991807)
I have Anderson through-out my home and the crank mechanism to open them sucks. Several have broken (gears stripped). They were put in when the house was built in 2000. I removed the crank and they no longer sell the part. I can not tell you how PO'ed I was.

I can tell you I will not use them in the future.

I love my Anderson's as well, with the exception of the cranking issues. I only have two of those however. I thrink the more you use the crank the easier it is to work.

rphud 05-06-2013 11:33 AM

I am in Larry's camp on this one, but it has been a while since I bought either and I did just get a class action settlement notice on my Pella I last bought.

Pete F. 05-06-2013 08:38 PM

Marvin Integrity is a wood ultrex window and the Infinity is all ultrex. Ultrex is their pultruded fiberglass. I have discussed this with a number of people in the industry and the consensus is that in the next decade pultruded fiberglass will be THE window material. Just like boats, wood is nice but the maintenance eventually kills you. Vinyl oxidizes and cracks. Putting in aluminum coating on the outside is a little better but aluminum and wood have very different expansion rates due to temperature. Wood, vinyl, aluminum all have very different expansion rates than glass but pultruded fiberglass and glass are very close to the same. Right now Marvin has the best deal I have found on FG windows.