Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Checklist for outfitting a stock fishing 'yak? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82041)

jeffreyrichard 04-23-2013 12:00 PM

Checklist for outfitting a stock fishing 'yak?

I have a Future Beach Angler 160 I picked up last year. Looking for commnts on how to rig/outfit ... I will be doing primarily DAYTIME inshore (salt) and freshwater bass fishing. Looking to make my life easier while fishing ... probably not going with any electronics (yet). Things like seat (upgrade?), paddle clip/holder, anchor (?)

All advice is good ... thanks

The Dad Fisherman 04-23-2013 12:13 PM

PFD...#1 purchase.

Stock rod holders usually suck so I would upgrade those. Milk Crate for holding gear. Leashes for rods, paddle, and any other tools you are planning on bringing along.

Nebe 04-23-2013 12:17 PM

I haven't Dont this yet, but an anchor trolley system is great for fishing for blackfish. It keeps your stern up wind not your bow.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

jeffreyrichard 04-23-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 995901)
PFD...#1 purchase.

Stock rod holders usually suck so I would upgrade those. Milk Crate for holding gear. Leashes for rods, paddle, and any other tools you are planning on bringing along.

What are the "must have" tools? In my tacklebox I have an assortment of shore tools ...I have lip grippers (boggagrip knockoff), plus several hook removers ... any recomendation for pliers?

The Dad Fisherman 04-23-2013 01:09 PM

I'm a cheap bastard.... you don't want my recommendation on pliers :hee:

probably everything you'd need on shore....you're just gonna be sitting instead. They sell those cheap $15 plastic lip grippers that are actually pissah on the kayak.

Google up pics of Fishing Kayaks...plenty of ideas out there....thats part of the fun....tricking out your own the way you want it

BigFish 04-23-2013 04:13 PM

A must have anytime fishing is a good pair of pliers with cutters! I swear by the VS pliers!!! I know they are expensive but I will never buy another pair! Had my saltwater set for over 8-9 years and they are in brand new shape, heavy use and I have used the cutters several times to remove hooks from people and have not yet had to change the teeth!!! I just got a small set of VS pliers for the freshwater. Also a great thing to have is a set of those forcips.......folks call them roachies......you guys know what I mean....good for deep hooked fish!!! I have a long set! I also carry in my PFD a small set of air horns as does my wife in case of emergency....for $12 they are a worthwhile investment!

BigFish 04-23-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 995921)
I'm a cheap bastard.... you don't want my recommendation on pliers :hee:

probably everything you'd need on shore....you're just gonna be sitting instead. They sell those cheap $15 plastic lip grippers that are actually pissah on the kayak.

Google up pics of Fishing Kayaks...plenty of ideas out there....thats part of the fun....tricking out your own the way you want it

Ya don't go cheap on the beer though do ya Penny Pincher?? :rotf2:

Slingah 04-23-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 995949)
A must have anytime fishing is a good pair of pliers with cutters! I swear by the VS pliers!!! I know they are expensive but I will never buy another pair! Had my saltwater set for over 8-9 years and they are in brand new shape, heavy use and I have used the cutters several times to remove hooks from people and have not yet had to change the teeth!!! I just got a small set of VS pliers for the freshwater. Also a great thing to have is a set of those forcips.......folks call them roachies......you guys know what I mean....good for deep hooked fish!!! I have a long set! I also carry in my PFD a small set of air horns as does my wife in case of emergency....for $12 they are a worthwhile investment!

I thought your pliers got stolen? did you misplace them or find?

BigFish 04-23-2013 05:29 PM

That was me...I had misplaced them.:smash:

Slingah 04-23-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 995967)
That was me...I had misplaced them.:smash:

wheeew!:lama:

The Dad Fisherman 04-23-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 995950)
Ya don't go cheap on the beer though do ya Penny Pincher?? :rotf2:

You don't actually think I pay full price for beer, do you.....remember where da wife works...

I have Microbrew tastes on a Meisterbrau budget....:hihi:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

hq2 04-28-2013 05:14 PM

Back to the topic at hand....a bailer made from half a half gallon
milk container is helpful. Also a seat upgrade (additional cushion
on top of existing seat) is good for preventing sore/wet butt for
extended trips. And, if you have an SUV and/or back issues, a
roof roller makes put on/off a lot easier, especially by your self.
Note that an anchor trolley can be easily made with a steel ring,
a small pulley and some parachute cord.