Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Punta Cana Fishing? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81274)

ThrowingTimber 02-28-2013 08:32 AM

Punta Cana Fishing?

Fish or just eat, catch rays and booze it up? I'm seeing mixed reviews from resort staff disappearing peoples gear... and the folks being asked to file a police report.. to just bring cheap wally world gear and leave it with someone on the beach. I've seen mention of mikes marina and dorado and white marlin as being possible. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Marina appears to be 5 Miles from the resort :uhuh:

JohnR 02-28-2013 10:07 AM

No decent rentals down there? Lojack for your gear?

HugeDinghy 02-28-2013 10:14 AM

Bring me and I'll watch your gear for you.

ThrowingTimber 02-28-2013 10:44 AM

Who's going to keep an eye on you? We'll have to bring Animal along as well :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fish4striper 02-28-2013 12:47 PM

Vic, This trip with the lady or a guys trip?

I'd like to get a Panama trip together with some guys.

ThrowingTimber 02-28-2013 05:23 PM

Mrs. Timber is coming on this one :uhuh:

I'd LOVE to hit Panama!! ROAD TRIP!!

niko 02-28-2013 05:38 PM

when are we going to panama, have fun vic

Zeno 03-01-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugeDinghy (Post 986854)
Bring me and I'll watch your gear for you.

what he said

HugeDinghy 03-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 986857)
Who's going to keep an eye on you? We'll have to bring Animal along as well :)

thats a hell of a point

Swimmer 03-01-2013 12:56 PM

Mexico...........gfl

ThrowingTimber 03-01-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 987074)
Mexico...........gfl

You failed geography didn't you? Why the #^&#^&#^&#^& would anyone go to Mexico?

MakoMike 03-01-2013 04:24 PM

From what I hear fishing from shore is a waste of time, totally fished out. If you bring gear you might be able to talk a commercial fisherman into taking you out in his panga. If you charter a regular charter boat they'll have the gear.

timmah 03-01-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 987076)
You failed geography didn't you? Why the #^&#^&#^&#^& would anyone go to Mexico?

Cuz my nephew is helping to run a small fishing resort Just North of Cabo and he's catching mahi from the beach and yellowfin and marlin just offshore. I can call him for ya and see what he can do. :uhuh:

bloocrab 03-01-2013 09:52 PM

I was there last year Vic, the sites you'll see traveling from the airport and from resort area to resort area will drastically change your thoughts on fishing from some beach, ANY beach for that matter, and for obvious reasons, fishing from your resort isn't going to happen, unless you're fishing with lime peels ;) ....:buds:

The Island appeared VERY poor and ummm...:devil2:, I did a little research prior to my trip for some possible fishing-sexperiences and came up short //no pun intended. After my trip and much discussion with hotel personnel (the kind closer to my level, grounds-keep) during my trip...I come to the conclusion booking a trip through your resort is the safest bet, not necessarily the best fishwise-bet, but the safest. While on tour with the honey, you wanna play the safe side caution, at least I feel that way.

Good Luck and have fun

Mr. Sandman 03-02-2013 09:19 AM

I went to punta cana back in the late 1980's on a similar trip with a girl friend. We went fishing twice. It was pretty rough. I watched my girlfriend turn green as the swells rolled by and when the capt turned and the diesel fumes came into the cockpit she was toast. The second trip I went looking for marlin alone, a couple hookups but nothing to write home about. After that I played a bunch of golf. They are suppose to have a good bite at times of big blue marlin off the very end of the island but I was there at the wrong time.
Good luck down there. I would advise making one good trip with a big time capt on a major boat. It is a strange place...or at least it was in 1980's... you will see military walking on the beach with fully automatic machine guns as you catch rays and girl watch. Esp near the border.

jonserfish 03-02-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmah (Post 987109)
Cuz my nephew is helping to run a small fishing resort Just North of Cabo and he's catching mahi from the beach and yellowfin and marlin just offshore. I can call him for ya and see what he can do. :uhuh:

is he a breathhold spero by any chance?

bassmaster 03-03-2013 11:34 AM

dude just drink booze u kno ya gunna anyway..
buy some tnt an toss it in the suds and see what the grab bag gives
oh yeah give one of dem plugs

timmah 03-03-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonserfish (Post 987274)
is he a breathhold spero by any chance?

Nope, drunkiri#^&#^&#^&#^&aliano fishmonger.