Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   wood source,, (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=53353)

GattaFish 11-24-2008 12:23 AM

wood source,,

Can anyone help me with a AYC source?

and a source for birch ?

I am on the CT/RI line near westerly,,,

Thanks in advance

ProfessorM 11-24-2008 10:51 AM

there is a place that has got to be right around the corner from you.

Birch I have no idea as i don't use it.

transitdynamics 11-24-2008 11:15 AM

Sorry to get everyones panties in a bunch about posting a lumber yard that carries AYC. I know some people get there wood there that build commercially, but if it wasnt for this site, i wouldnt have found out where to get it to do my own recreational building. I was just trying to pass on the info for another rec builder. I figure the more plug builders buy the more they order and keep it available, maybe even have more available in sizes for us.

ruhroh 11-24-2008 02:07 PM

sold out.

mikecc 11-24-2008 04:39 PM

It is now a new smaller size 1 3/8 x 1 3/8 so you can't get the big A40 plug style out of that.

Bernzy 11-24-2008 04:55 PM

"I figure the more plug builders buy the more they order"

The higher the price goes!!!

Bernzy

ProfessorM 11-24-2008 05:01 PM

No ones panties are in a bunch. Everything is wonderful. A little misunderstanding that's all. All squared away. No problems here. Luv each other. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

It is going to be a long winter though

numbskull 11-24-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transitdynamics (Post 640554)
Sorry to get everyones panties in a bunch about posting a lumber yard that carries AYC. I know some people get there wood there that build commercially, but if it wasnt for this site, i wouldnt have found out where to get it to do my own recreational building. I was just trying to pass on the info for another rec builder. I figure the more plug builders buy the more they order and keep it available, maybe even have more available in sizes for us.

Welcome to the site. The spirit of the place is about passing on information. That someone would consider listing a lumberyard as spot burning certainly sends the wrong message and I am sorry it happened to you on your first post.

For those looking for AYC this thread contains an option in RI, http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ghlight=source

M&D's often has it in Wareham

Not sure, however, you want it. First it is pretty toxic stuff (HA/sinus/asthma issues). Secondly, it is an awkward density....a bit heavy for surface plugs, a bit light for deep stuff. Thirdly, none of the classic plugs used it so if you intend to copy something old you won't get it right. Finally, it is expensive. Pine, Basswood, Port Orford Cedar (sold as 4x4 at lumber yards), soft maple, and even well sealed poplar make excellent plugs. Any place that carries hardwoods/furniture lumber will have a good selection and many will slice it up for you. Try Downes&Reader in Stoughton. AYC's main advantages are its uniformity, ease of working, and that it comes dimensioned in a size that is convenient for plug building.

In any case, welcome again......let's see what you are building.

BigFish 11-24-2008 06:49 PM

I would not recommend pine as the pitch will bleed through to the paint and ruin the plug! Just my .02 cents.

MAC 11-24-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 640665)
I would not recommend pine as the pitch will bleed through to the paint and ruin the plug! Just my .02 cents.

how about the sugar variety? :faga:

BigFish 11-24-2008 07:10 PM

How bout' it? Give it up to the guy if you know something I don't? All I do know is pine can be pitchy! Then again I make topwaters and swimmers out of AYC and just found out none of them will work?:hihi:

MAC 11-24-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 640671)
How bout' it? Give it up to the guy if you know something I don't? All I do know is pine can be pitchy! Then again I make topwaters and swimmers out of AYC and just found out none of them will work?:hihi:

Easy big fella. I'm just messing around with ya. :tm: Sugar pine is very nice to work with but very expensive if you can find it. That's what gibbs used in the old days.

I was never able to find it to purchase. But I did try some Big Dave had. The grain was very tight and it was clear.

BigFish 11-24-2008 07:29 PM

Dave was that white pine or white cedar you used to use?? That was nice stuff!

MAC 11-24-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 640676)
Dave was that white pine or white cedar you used to use?? That was nice stuff!

I used some eastern white pine. Got it from Downes & Reader.

BigFish 11-24-2008 07:36 PM

That stuff was great! Got a piece from you awhile back and loved it!:tooth:

GattaFish 11-24-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& (Post 640654)

GF if you can't find any birch I have tons of turning squares in the shop right now in 1x1 and 5/4 all straight grain furniture grade select clear.

Wow what did I start,,, :rumble:

Salty that is a fantastic offer,,, Thanks you very much,,, I will keep that in mind especially since that is exactly the size I am looking for (needles,,,, :kewl:) ,,, Ideally I would like to find someplace close.

I have to find all new wood sources since I am not in Texas anymore,,, Ideally I would like to find enough to put in the rafters and have available for the next few winters,,,,

Thanks for the input everyone,,,,

ProfessorM 11-25-2008 11:06 AM

You didn't start anything. You asked a legit question. No harm no foul. It's just a hobby for the majority of us here. Don't worry be happy. You might want to look up your local area sawmills too if you have time to allow it to dry as most of us hobby guys do. I like pine too.

At least you stimulated some life in the plugbuilding forum again

Swimmer 11-25-2008 12:03 PM

I went there with Bigfish (Liberty Cedar). Make sure you ask for Brian. This really cute chick gets up and says will I do. I never have seen Brian, but without seeing Brian I am certain that she is better looking.

joeithaca00 01-26-2009 10:43 PM

AYC at Liberty Cedar

For those interested in the CT / RI area I just called Liberty today and they are offering free delivery (no minimum required). I live in the middle of the CT shoreline and they will be here this week.

The only downside is the size, they only had 1 3/8 X 1 3/8.

Joe