Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Bees Under Deck (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82757)

Mugz 06-24-2013 07:45 AM

Bees Under Deck

I have some bees underneath my deck. I continuosly see them going through the cracks between the boards on the surface of the deck. The bees look similar to honey bees but not as big. I was thinking carpenter bees but I wouldn't think they would burrow into PT wood?
I cannot get underneath the deck...it is 8" off the ground with chicken wire all the way around (to keep out critters).
This weekend I took off one 16 ft length of wood....stuck a mirrow down there so I could look underneath in between each joyce bay....NOTHING. No hanging bees nest. So, I think they are in the ground....but I don't want to have to rip the whole deck up to get at it. I know the general vicinity they are in. Is there some sort of bomb, something I can put under the deck to get rid of them without knowing exactley where the nest is?
The bees don't seem to bother us on the deck, but a few people had visited my deck who were allergic to bees and kind of got freeked out.

Mugz 06-24-2013 08:24 AM

I jumped the gun a bit on this one. Did a goole search and found my answer I think. Found many others with the exact senario. People recomended an insecticide called Drione Dust that you can get at the regular home improvement stores. I guess it coats the area where they enter and exit....it sticks to the bees and they eventually die.
Seems the bees are carpenter bees too.

Raven 06-24-2013 08:46 AM

wd 40 works good on bugs

Saltheart 06-24-2013 10:02 AM

I have the same issue this year on a small deck that is about 15 inches high. Must be the year of the deck bees as I have never had the issue before and the deck in question has been there for 25 years. Thanks for posting about the Drione. I'll have to get some.

Ryan560 07-14-2013 08:32 PM

Carpenter bees do borrow into pt wood, you can make a homemade trap out of a 2 liter soda bottle and some wood. Had a few borrow into a stair tread on my deck, well apparently wood peckers eat the bee larva or something in there got them interested.. What a mess, Between the bee's and the woodpecker damage I had to replace 2 treads.

iamskippy 07-15-2013 06:59 AM

I have a friend that owns a pest control company, hes been in the business for, any many years, something you cant try is taking dish soap with water making a very soapy solutions and hosing everythings down, what happens is the bees breath threw there skin, the soapy water suffocates them and they die. This is great for an instant death. The powder is good for a simular reason but they will drag the powder back to the nest and contaminate it. If you need further help let me know i can ask my buddy to help you hes a fellow fishermen as well and is always willing to help.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device