Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   "The economy is growing" (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=49694)

Nebe 06-09-2008 11:22 AM

"The economy is growing"

Everytime I hear this I scratch my head..

How is this judged?

I ask because when I hear the President say that "everything is good.. the economy is growing" I think that 'the economy' means profits. which means higher prices, which means you and me are having to pay more for stuff....In reality, I want to hear "everything is good, personal income is growing"... yeah right. :hs:

spin.. nothing more than spin....

thats my random thought for the day.

spence 06-09-2008 11:32 AM

Growing simply means the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is increasing, basically the output of products and services is up.

This isn't to say that growth = profit, which is why corporations are focused on "profitable growth".

Slow growth is better than negative, but mostly it just gives the Washington types an excuse to say we're not in a recession.

-spence

buckman 06-09-2008 11:42 AM

With the cost of fuel and the increases of the cost of everything associated with it, I think we are headed into some real tough times. Next winter, the economy could be as bad as this country has seen in a long time.

spence 06-09-2008 11:47 AM

I think things are different this time around. With globalization we're supported more by cross industry trade of goods and services. For instance the explosion in oil and gas exploration in Canada and overseas is generating huge orders for the makers of exploration equipment in the USA. Etc...
This storm can be weathered, we just have to be prepared to make some serious choices about how we live our lives. Just because you can't drive a Chevy Surburban to the grocerty store doesn't mean the American dream is dead.

-spence

Nebe 06-09-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 596026)
With the cost of fuel and the increases of the cost of everything associated with it, I think we are headed into some real tough times. Next winter, the economy could be as bad as this country has seen in a long time.

agreed.

Bronko 06-09-2008 02:33 PM

If Obama wins he will fix it all with hope, unity and change.:hihi:

Fishpart 06-09-2008 02:46 PM

Got whacked today so for me the econmy is severly shrinking...Nebe, need someone to build furnaces for you???

Nebe 06-09-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpart (Post 596105)
Got whacked today so for me the econmy is severly shrinking...Nebe, need someone to build furnaces for you???

That sucks man. I am very sorry to hear that. :(

I am actually about to do a re-build, but I usually do it all myself.

buckman 06-09-2008 04:11 PM

Sorry to hear that fishpart. Keep the faith, go on unemployment, do some side work and enjoy the summer.

EarnedStripes44 06-10-2008 08:47 AM

We need some leaders who are going to invest in and expand infrastructure. It will jumpstart things and provide jobs.

JohnR 06-10-2008 08:57 AM

Sorry to hear this Ed. Now the wife has to get a job, eh?

You are smart, experienced, and have one hell of a work (and life for that matter) ethic. I don't think you will be down for long. In the meantime, we should go fishing.