Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Barley wines (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81043)

rphud 02-08-2013 07:59 AM

Barley wines

I have been into Dann's Pretty Things, Finest Regards lately. Excellent stuff, but you gots to be a bit careful. I think it rings in at 13% ABV or so.

Seems to be the perfect thing on some of these winter nights (like tonight maybe). Any others?

jim sylvester 02-08-2013 10:29 AM

barleys are the best

2 and your done

if you can find if try blithering idiot by weibocher

rphud 02-08-2013 11:17 AM

idiot is very good stuff, and seems to be appropriately named

jon2465 02-08-2013 04:40 PM

had 1 bottle of king henry and passed on a bunch just sitting on the shelve :smash: best barleywine ive ever had by far

rphud 02-08-2013 05:17 PM

Very interesting, scores a 100 at BA. Plus I am already a Goose Island fan. I will have to find me sum dat. Thanks for sharing!

Ian 02-08-2013 05:44 PM

Aged bigfoot is always a treat, although recently they have been coming much more mild at release time.

Also, Great Divide's creation... can't remember the name... very smooth even at release
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

rphud 02-08-2013 07:55 PM

Old Ruffian. Good stuff as well, as are most Divides.

Got about a thousand hits for Goose Island places in Hartford. My guess is most do not have what I am looking for. Beer distribution in CT is just weird and frustrating.

Ian 02-08-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 983892)
Beer distribution in CT is just weird and frustrating.

Agreed. I heard yesterday that wine is even worse. But what is the name of the Goose Island offering? I have a good friend who is a wine rep but has about as many close connections in the distribution chain of CT as I have acquaintances in my entire life. He may be able to find some, he covers a lot of ground on his own.

jon2465 02-08-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 983843)
Very interesting, scores a 100 at BA. Plus I am already a Goose Island fan. I will have to find me sum dat. Thanks for sharing!

worth every point good luck

rphud 02-09-2013 07:14 AM

Tell me about it. I was in Austin and had some great wine. Came back to CT to find some and was able to find it in one store only. Three bottles, one vintage. Bought em all. Now I have to do the on line thing. I may head over to Harvest in West Hartford. I am hearing very good things, but it is smallish. Got a lot of snow to mover first of course!

Ian 02-09-2013 10:53 AM

Check out liquor depot in Avon too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rphud (Post 983965)
Tell me about it. I was in Austin and had some great wine. Came back to CT to find some and was able to find it in one store only. Three bottles, one vintage. Bought em all. Now I have to do the on line thing. I may head over to Harvest in West Hartford. I am hearing very good things, but it is smallish. Got a lot of snow to mover first of course!

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

rphud 02-09-2013 09:52 PM

There quite often. Too close to say no. Big place, but they have what they have. Pretty good selection of beers in the back corner there.