Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   CNN: everyone who voted for trump, sides with the Klan (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97195)

Jim in CT 01-14-2021 03:04 PM

CNN: everyone who voted for trump, sides with the Klan

Don Lemon:

“I am never on the side of the Klan.”

Someone remind me, in which party did Robert Byrd ( admitted, well known Klansman) serve in the US Senate for 51 years? Biden said Byrd was his “friend” and “mentor”. But that’s ok.

Meanwhile, Trump, for all his faults, did more for American blacks than any president in my lifetime, no one even comes close.

Pete F. 01-14-2021 04:00 PM

Tell us more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeS4ueaU6w

PaulS 01-14-2021 04:27 PM

TRUMP, on the economy before the pandemic: “We had the best numbers for African Americans on employment and unemployment in history ... best everything.” — Fox News interview Wednesday

THE FACTS: True on unemployment. Not true by a long shot on “everything” in the economy.

Black unemployment reached a record low during the Trump administration, 5.4% in August, as the longest economic expansion in history pressed ahead.

Most of the progress came when Barack Obama was president: Black unemployment dropped from a recession high of 16.8% in March 2010 to 7.8% in January 2017. Improvement continued under Trump until the pandemic. Black unemployment reached 16.8% in May, compared with 13.3% for the overall population.

Not all economic measures improved for African Americans under Trump before the pandemic. A black household earned median income of $41,361 in 2018, the latest data available. That’s below a 2000 peak of $43,380, according to the Census Bureau.

More broadly, there were multiple signs before the pandemic that the racial wealth gap had been worsening.

Pete F. 01-14-2021 04:53 PM

Well, some people can say what Robert Byrd did: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized for a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

And some can't

Got Stripers 01-14-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1208365)
TRUMP, on the economy before the pandemic: “We had the best numbers for African Americans on employment and unemployment in history ... best everything.” — Fox News interview Wednesday

THE FACTS: True on unemployment. Not true by a long shot on “everything” in the economy.

Black unemployment reached a record low during the Trump administration, 5.4% in August, as the longest economic expansion in history pressed ahead.

Most of the progress came when Barack Obama was president: Black unemployment dropped from a recession high of 16.8% in March 2010 to 7.8% in January 2017. Improvement continued under Trump until the pandemic. Black unemployment reached 16.8% in May, compared with 13.3% for the overall population.

Not all economic measures improved for African Americans under Trump before the pandemic. A black household earned median income of $41,361 in 2018, the latest data available. That’s below a 2000 peak of $43,380, according to the Census Bureau.

More broadly, there were multiple signs before the pandemic that the racial wealth gap had been worsening.

What! Wait how can that be, Jim keeps telling us Trump is the best thing for blacks since Lincoln?

I love Don Jr. getting sh*t on Twitter for his 2026 tweet saying Dear Clinton’s you know what’s deplorable, getting impeached. Twice the fun back at you!

Sea Dangles 01-14-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1208369)

I love Don Jr. getting sh*t on Twitter for his 2026 tweet

Twice the fun back at you!

Peg hid the glasses again didn’t she?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 01-14-2021 05:31 PM

You're talking about the 1940's Jim, he later said it was the worst decision he'd ever made in his life. Are you going to spend the next 4 years twisting yourself into a pretzel to discredit Biden. Not that you have any history here :rollem:

Got Stripers 01-14-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1208371)
Peg hid the glasses again didn’t she?

I feel for you, does your comprehension fail routinely, sorry I didn’t reach for my glasses; I understand simple things are hard to grasp for you.

scottw 01-14-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208374)

Are you going to spend the next 4 years twisting yourself into a pretzel to discredit Biden.

Spence is right Jim...why do you want to be like democrats?

scottw 01-14-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1208365)

So you are giving Obama credit for the unemployment rate returning to normal levels after a recession?

PaulS 01-14-2021 08:53 PM

I'm giving him credit for cleaning up the mess a Republican left him. Who says history doesn't repeat itself.

Jim in CT 01-14-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208374)
You're talking about the 1940's Jim, he later said it was the worst decision he'd ever made in his life. Are you going to spend the next 4 years twisting yourself into a pretzel to discredit Biden. Not that you have any history here :rollem:

fair enough.

as an obvious sign of how he had changed his ways, here, Byrd used the n-word in an interview. not a hot
mic situation, this was an interview. in 2004. clearly he was a new man, right spence?

remind me, how many prominent klansmen have been elected to congress in the gop since then, and were they revered and embraced?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...ry%3fid=121733

spence 01-15-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1208399)
fair enough.

as an obvious sign of how he had changed his ways, here, Byrd used the n-word in an interview. not a hot
mic situation, this was an interview. in 2004. clearly he was a new man, right spence?

I’m sure the phrase white n* was very common for most of his life and it looks like he was using it for impact. Not politically wise but doesn’t cancel him either. Seems like he managed to become a pretty successful politician despite his past.

scottw 01-15-2021 11:45 AM

^^^^EMBARRASSING

Jim in CT 01-15-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208452)
I’m sure the phrase white n* was very common for most of his life and it looks like he was using it for impact. Not politically wise but doesn’t cancel him either. Seems like he managed to become a pretty successful politician despite his past.

“h was using it for impact.”

every spoken word, is used for impact.

good god man.

Jim in CT 01-15-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208452)
I’m sure the phrase white n* was very common for most of his life

so using that logic, if trumps
speech at the capital only used language he grew up with, that would then be ok?

that’s a pathetic argument, even for you.

he’s a democrat, therefore above criticism.

spence 01-15-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1208464)
“h was using it for impact.”

every spoken word, is used for impact.

good god man.

He specifically called it out.

spence 01-15-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1208465)
so using that logic, if trumps
speech at the capital only used language he grew up with, that would then be ok?

that’s a pathetic argument, even for you.

he’s a democrat, therefore above criticism.

Just my observation. I don’t think it’s an acceptable thing to say, wasn’t raised with it either, but I know a lot of people who were and they’re much more likely to use the word than most. A politician saying the same thing today would get nuked.

Jim in CT 01-15-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208472)
Just my observation. I don’t think it’s an acceptable thing to say, wasn’t raised with it either, but I know a lot of people who were and they’re much more likely to use the word than most. A politician saying the same thing today would get nuked.

a republican saying it in 2004, would
also have been nuked ( justifiably). that’s the point.

spence 01-15-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1208474)
a republican saying it in 2004, would
also have been nuked ( justifiably). that’s the point.

He did get called out for by his own party and apologized.

Jim in CT 01-15-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208475)
He did get called out for by his own party and apologized.

and all any democrat has to do, is apologize. you’d never offer that forgiveness to a republican.

spence 01-15-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1208476)
and all any democrat has to do, is apologize. you’d never offer that forgiveness to a republican.

If I believe them sure I would. Regardless your whole point here is to somehow tarnish Biden and it’s not working.

scottw 01-16-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1208478)

tarnish Biden

that's funny