Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Plugfest creates a new builder (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=76808)

Rockfish9 03-29-2012 06:55 AM

Plugfest creates a new builder

3 Attachment(s)
Here, you may know him as Nightshift...his name is Brian and Plugfest and this site has turned him into a junkie... a plug junkie!

so, with a little guideance( very little) from me , and the use of my shop( which you can see was built around someone 5' tall.. not 6'..) he ceated his first goo goo's on his own...

We both aggreed that the best way to learn is "old school" taking demensions from a drawing and hand turning...in an afternoon he turned, drilled and sealed a dozen plugs...using jigs and fisxtures in liu of sqare ends... sped up the process..

Rockfish9 03-29-2012 06:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
they were then fitted for the lip, screw holes pre drilled and painted then epoxied...

Raven 03-29-2012 06:59 AM

oh come on.... he needs way more tools! -LOL

question? for Brian

that drill you have the orange one
from home depot (yes)
does the chuck loosen up often or NO?

as i have that one and it's always goin loose on me
and i thought it was just the way it worked
so-> its a compare question.

Rockfish9 03-29-2012 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a picture of the fineshed product this morning, less hooks ( he hasn't seen them since he epoxied them)

PRBuzz 03-29-2012 07:08 AM

The guy is a natural! He's got talent and may be a keeper....

Rockfish9 03-29-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 929976)
oh come on.... he needs way more tools! -LOL

question? for Brian

that drill you have the orange one
from home depot (yes)
does the chuck loosen up often or NO?

as i have that one and it's always goin loose on me
and i thought it was just the way it worked
so-> its a compare question.

.... .. yes it is a Ridgid and yes.the chuck loostens up... it is because of the brake if you ease into the stop rather than allow the brake to stop the drill it will not loosten.

nightfighter 03-29-2012 07:30 AM

That's like having Roger Penske taking you out in one of his "cars" to learn how to drive.... Hope Brian is documenting all these events while his mind is fresh and uncluttered with all the nuances of building . It will make for some great reading for future generations of anglers seeking insights from the "past".

Rockfish9 03-29-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 929984)
The guy is a natural! He's got talent and may be a keeper....

He's a very skilled carpenter.. so it does come to him much eaiser than to others..

Raven 03-29-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 929989)
.... .. yes it is a Ridgid and yes.the chuck loostens up... it is because of the brake if you ease into the stop rather than allow the brake to stop the drill it will not loosten.

thanks for tip

JohnR 03-29-2012 08:30 AM

:love:

The Dad Fisherman 03-29-2012 08:50 AM

I don't have any Nightshift Plugs....(There, he's officially been Hoe'd :hihi:)

Those look pissah :kewl:

blondterror 03-29-2012 09:34 AM

Joe... you have created a new plug monster.... nice work Brian... welcome to the plug making addiction...

iamskippy 03-29-2012 09:50 AM

if i got to use your shop i would be a junkie too, oh wait.

johnny ducketts 03-29-2012 11:14 AM

You Rock Joe!

Very nice thing you are doing
:btu:

O.D. Mike 03-29-2012 01:09 PM

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

Fishguy55 03-29-2012 03:38 PM

They look great !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 03-29-2012 04:33 PM

He has much talent already that is plain to see

Night Shift 03-29-2012 08:07 PM

Joe, I can't thank you enough for the lessons and the use of your shop. Catching fish on custom wood last summer reminded me of the days when I used to fish exclusively with my own striper flies. There is no greater satisfaction than fooling a fish with something you've made with your own two hands. I've been fascinated by fooling fish with homemade baits (mostly striper flies) since I was a kid, but always resisted plug building. That first night, when I felt that first fish belt a painted hunk of wood with a pair of hooks attached to it, I knew I couldn't resist the urge any longer. You sir have now made that possible.

And thanks to all of the other plug builders on this site for posting their successes, failures, opinions, and pictures. You guys build some beautiful stuff (most is downright artwork) and share an infinite amount of knowledge.

Thanks for inspiring me to finally give it a shot
Brian (confirmed "Plug Addict")

Night Shift 03-29-2012 08:09 PM

Raven, my "yellow and black" drill does the same thing.

saltydog 04-05-2012 01:14 PM

JOE, good for you:uhuh: sharing an keeping another generation of builders going.congrats joe.

Night Shift, your being taught by the best, nice work :uhuh:
GOOD LUCK GOOD BUILDIN:cheers:

nightfighter 01-12-2013 08:35 AM

Bumping this up for a reason. I have a father and son coming over who want to build a plug. They have briefly lurked here, but are still thinking they will be going home with a finished plug after spending a morning in my shop..... If you look at the pics, you will notice that Brian is shown wearing three different hats, meaning he made at least three different visits to Joe's shop. Drying time for sealer, paint, and epoxy are the steps that can't be changed. I do have plugs in various stages so they will be able to paint a previously sealed plug, and epoxy a previously painted plug. Today they should be able to take home a plug they have turned and drilled, ready for sealer.

At least that is my plan.......

N.ShoreFisher 01-12-2013 07:00 PM

anyone on the northshore feel like letting me give a shot a plug building? lol...but not kidding! lol

bobber 01-12-2013 11:59 PM

its a great hobby- keeps me from going crazy over the winter. and I get plugs that I can't buy in stores.....

WoodyCT 01-13-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher (Post 979392)
anyone on the northshore feel like letting me give a shot a plug building? lol...but not kidding! lol

Start with some kit plugs to get your feet wet.

Salty Bugger has all the bases covered. Google them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device