Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   RM Smith Lures (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Forgive me (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=55501)

ecduzitgood 02-26-2009 07:07 AM

Forgive me

I finally got my hands on some 3oz. swimmers and was going to alter one to get what I wanted. First I was going to repaint one of them and change the eye and add a belly magnet. Well after I received the plugs I am having second thoughts. His plugs are beautiful just the way they are and although not the color combo I wanted I have yet to bring myself to tear into it. Are there kits available for his plugs? If not I will have to wait till I fish it and have enough damage to ease the guilt of changing a brand new RM.

The Dad Fisherman 02-26-2009 07:29 AM

I think the Mona Lisa could use some Eyebrows and a Mustache while you're at it....:shocked:

Why in gods name would you repaint a brand new RM Smith....they're sweet right out of the package.

ecduzitgood 02-26-2009 08:42 AM

That's my delemma

I thought I would change one; but after receiving them I can't bring myself to do it. In fact I haven't even taken them out of the package yet, this concerns me because I don't want to start collecting and it's bad enough I've caught the lure building virus. So I can either find a kit or wait and fish the ones I have now till they show enough damage to perform the changes without guilt (I will have to perform a ritual of some sort before I begin).

fishbones 02-26-2009 09:39 AM

It may take a while to have enough damage to one of his plugs to feel comfortable changing it. Even though they catch a lot of fish, the finish is real good so they don't show a lot of wear and tear. And if you're not comfortable fishing it, I'll be happy to put some miles on it for you.

The Dad Fisherman 02-26-2009 11:46 AM

That Fishbones is good people......always willing to take one for the team. :hihi:

ecduzitgood 02-26-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 668868)
It may take a while to have enough damage to one of his plugs to feel comfortable changing it. Even though they catch a lot of fish, the finish is real good so they don't show a lot of wear and tear. And if you're not comfortable fishing it, I'll be happy to put some miles on it for you.

I'll keep you in mind because I may not have enough time/courage before the season starts to rip open the package. And the finish does look awesome (trhough the plastic:rollem:). I am somewhat suprised in myself I was going to get right to work on one when I got them and now I can't even open the bag:shocked:.

Raven 02-26-2009 01:01 PM

u done good....:wave:

fishbones 02-26-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecduzitgood (Post 668929)
I'll keep you in mind because I may not have enough time/courage before the season starts to rip open the package. And the finish does look awesome (trhough the plastic:rollem:). I am somewhat suprised in myself I was going to get right to work on one when I got them and now I can't even open the bag:shocked:.

Just rip open the package and fish it. Don't worry. If you're anything like me, you'll just keep buying and you'll always have some that are still in the package and waiting to make it into the rotation. :)

Labrador1 02-26-2009 02:43 PM

Remember that I keep making more :). Leaving them in the bag makes the hook set very very difficult ;)

Ryan

ecduzitgood 02-26-2009 06:55 PM

Thanks for the beautiful work you do Ryan! I will open one of the three right now just becuase of your reply! The others will taunt me and by the start of the season I am going to open another and with the help of my therapist I may open the thrid (she dosen't fish so she doesn't have that much credibilty with me). I hope you took no offense to my thoughts about changing one, it's all part of my OCD. I'll look into getting my meds adjusted:uhoh:.

Wow that felt good...........I'm gonna cancel next weeks appointment!

Raven 02-26-2009 07:12 PM

lol

see if your therapist will extend to you
the 10% S-B discount :bl:

Labrador1 02-26-2009 09:40 PM

Glad I helped with your therapy in some small way. And no I wasn't offended. Its yours - you can take a hammer to them if you wish. Heck - I've done that before :)

Jigman 03-02-2009 08:25 PM

Personally, I modify every RM Smith plug that I get. Hell, one look at them will let you know they need help. Here is how I modify it. First, I remove it from the package. Next, I attach it securely to my fishing line. That's one cool thing about Ryan's plugs, they don't come with those silly hook protectors that slow you down. Now I just aim and cast. The fish have a their own way of personalizing the plug in their own way. After a lot of casts and personal attention by a number of stripers, or a good bluefish blitz, RM's start looking right. Continue the process until you either snap it off or break it off on a fish. Then reach into your plug bag, grab another and start the process all over again :buds::tooth:

Jigman