Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Worst Christmas Music (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=60960)

Crafty Angler 12-13-2009 07:17 AM

Worst Christmas Music

Stopped and picked up some new Christmas CD's day before yesterday - and they were so bad I figured they deserved their own thread for a Holiday Music Hall of Shame...:hs:

Far and away the worst was Sting's If On A Winter's Night...which might be appropriate music if you find yourself staring at a quart of cheap vodka and a bottle of barbituates on Christmas Eve...:shocked:

I've always been a fan of Sting's and yes, there can be a melancholy side to the holidays for some - but I'd have to recommend watching It's A Wonderful Life a couple of times before listening to it

A close second-worst - maybe even neck-and-neck - is the Michael McDonald Christmas album - I'd suggest putting the money in a Salvation Army kettle if you want something to feel good about

A Very Special Acoustic Christmas was maybe a B- but might improve with a couple more listens - I did like Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, Alison Krauss and Alan Jackson's take on the tunes - it's probably gonna slide into the Christmas rotation

The only saving grace was geting a new copy of Willie Nelson's Pretty Paper - which has always been a big favorite around here...:uhuh:

As for the others - well, if nothing else, I guess I've got some new Christmas music to send to my PITA sister-in-law...:devil2:

Raven 12-13-2009 07:21 AM

crafty

utube pretty paper please

never heard it
i don't think

Crafty Angler 12-13-2009 07:42 AM

It's a great album, Rav - I always liked Willie's voice on this old Roy Orbison tune

YouTube - Willie Nelson : Pretty Paper

BigFish 12-13-2009 09:41 AM

WARNING! WARNING!

Stay away from the worst Christmas music ever which is Neil Diamond!!! Absolutely the worst Christmas music I have ever heard! His version of Rudolph is bad enough to make me claw my way up the side of the house.....no ladder mind you.......and do a triple back flip off the roof onto the ground below!!!

Slingah 12-13-2009 09:48 AM

How did the new Bob Dylan Christmas disc rate Crafty?

Karl F 12-13-2009 09:48 AM

been told that this was the worst..but i like it.. :hihi:

YouTube - Tiny Tim - Santa Claus has got the aids

BigFish 12-13-2009 09:53 AM

Then try the Neil Diamond Karl......just don't eat for 48 hours prior!:yak:

Karl F 12-13-2009 09:58 AM

I would be willing to wager that Prof M... ( and Flap as well, R.I.P.)...
would nominate this fellow as the worst provider of Christmas Music...as they both find him an affront to their ears... :hihi:

YouTube - Buffett Christmas in the Caribbean

Karl F 12-13-2009 10:00 AM

not the worst i have heard

YouTube - O Holy Night - Neil Diamond

Slingah 12-13-2009 10:02 AM

YouTube - Twisted Sister - Heavy Metal Christmas

Raven 12-13-2009 10:09 AM

buffet lasted 6 seconds :yak5:

Crafty Angler 12-13-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingah (Post 731120)
How did the new Bob Dylan Christmas disc rate Crafty?

I have no idea, Slingah...:huh:

Saw it, put it back - I dunno, Dylan and Christmas tunes, sort of an odd combo...:confused:

BigFish 12-13-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl F (Post 731138)
not the worst i have heard

YouTube - O Holy Night - Neil Diamond

You need to get some new ears then Karl! The worst!

Crafty Angler 12-14-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 731116)
WARNING! WARNING!

Stay away from the worst Christmas music ever which is Neil Diamond!!! Absolutely the worst Christmas music I have ever heard! His version of Rudolph is bad enough to make me claw my way up the side of the house.....no ladder mind you.......and do a triple back flip off the roof onto the ground below!!!

Gotta agree with you there, Larry

Also high on the avoidance list would be Barry Manilow

Josh Groban

And without a doubt, Celine Dion

Oh yeah, that WASP-y a capella group of guys in suits who look like a Young Republicans meeting deserves special mention too...:yak5:

BigBo 12-14-2009 09:42 AM

Bruce Springsteen; Santa Claus is Coming to Town. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

RIJIMMY 12-14-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Angler (Post 731077)
It's a great album, Rav - I always liked Willie's voice on this old Roy Orbison tune

YouTube - Willie Nelson : Pretty Paper

Willie wrote Pretty Paper.

RIJIMMY 12-14-2009 10:22 AM

That Paul McCarney song "simply having a wonderful Christmas time" is a god awful song. Sounds like some 15yr olds with a casio keyboard made it. Awful!

Crafty Angler 12-14-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 731767)
Willie wrote Pretty Paper.

Damn, didn't know that - but Willie has penned his share of great tunes, like Crazy by Patsy Cline

Roy Orbison's hit with Pretty Paper is a classic - listening to the arrangement again, yup, it's obviously Willie

The Dad Fisherman 12-14-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 731753)
Bruce Springsteen; Santa Claus is Coming to Town. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Yep...Thats the one that makes me cringe too....

BigFish 12-14-2009 12:47 PM

BigBo's .02 cents is always worth at least a dime!:uhuh: Yeah not a big fan of that one either Bob!

Mike P 12-14-2009 02:10 PM

The other problem with it is that every radio station plays it at least once an hour, along with the following equally crappy songs:

That stoopid McCartney ditty.
Feliz Navidad by Feliciano.
Lennon's Happy Christmas/War Is Over
Any stoopid "novelty" song like Dominick the Donkey
I freaking hate The Twelve Days of Christmas no matter who sings it.

Rockport24 12-14-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 731798)
Yep...Thats the one that makes me cringe too....

that's cause you haven't been good, and Santa ain't gonna bring you a new Saxophone!!

:grins:

actually, anybody know the George Michael/Wham Christmas song, by far the worst!!
but I laugh my ass off everytime I hear it on the radio

BigFish 12-16-2009 12:26 PM

Really, really, really hate the Michael Jackson version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"! Really, really!:wall:

I do.....I really do hate Mommy kissing Santa Claus! I really do!