Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   newby (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67604)

quick decision 11-27-2010 06:36 PM

newby

So I have been lurking in this forum for a while. I have learned a lot from the posts. Like anything else you get what you pay for when buying a new kayak. I was going to by a paddle only but the more I read the peddles look more appealing for many reasons. The downside is upfront cost. What used kayak could I buy with peddles for under 1000?

BigBo 11-27-2010 07:07 PM

That's a tall order Ian. If you were to come across one in that price range grab it quick or someone will beat you to the punch. Keep an eye out for a used Hobie Outback or Revolution.

BigFish 11-27-2010 08:34 PM

What Bob said! You can score a good used Outback or Hobie for between $1,000-$1,400 if you keep your eyes peeled between now and late winter as folks are looking to move a kayak so they can possibly either move on to another kayak or unload one they find they are not using as much as they thought they might!:uhuh:

frogman_ch 11-28-2010 07:31 AM

I don't think it is very likely that you will find a good used hobie in that price range. If you do, make sure you give it a real good inspection and look for cracks around the seat peg holes and the drive box.
The up front cost of a hobie only hurts for a short time, once you fish hands free you will be hooked.

quick decision 11-28-2010 07:45 AM

I was also reading its a pita to have the storage in the back of you. It may cause the boat to flip if you try to grab something and your weight shifts. On Bigfish's rig it seems like theres nice storage right in front of you.
What kind of draft do you have with the rudder and drive gear do you have?

BigBo 11-28-2010 08:50 AM

Most Sit-On-Top fishing kayaks are a lot more stable than you think they are. Unlikely that you'll flip just from reaching behind you. Just swing your legs over the side and you're good.
I have the same Pro Angler as BigFish. Super stable. The storage in front of you is definately one of the nice features of the Pro Angler. I've never measured the draft with fins and rudder down, but I'd guess and say it's somewhere between 12"-18". When you're coming into shallow water, either pull the Mirage Drive or peg the peddles at the extreme ends of their travel and the fins will be up against the hull. The rudder will kick up anyways.
The Pro Angler is one of the most expensive in the Hobie lineup. There are deals to be had though if you're patient. I bought mine used (it's an '09) with two scupper carts, rigged fish finder and battery pack and a new trailer for $1800

BigFish 11-28-2010 08:52 AM

That was a deal Bob!!:uhuh:

blondterror 11-28-2010 08:56 AM

A good place to look for used Hobie yaks is:

New England Kayak Fishing • View forum - Classifieds

they go fast once posted so you have to act fast

Chris

BigBo 11-28-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 814090)
That was a deal Bob!!:uhuh:

:cool: I have my new Turbo Fin kit to eliminate the mechanical issues I experienced.

blondterror 11-28-2010 09:01 AM

I am upgrading to the Turbo Fins on my Revo this winter.. I expect to gaibn about .5 to 1 knot of top end speed and slow down my cadence for trolling

Rockport24 11-29-2010 05:16 PM

yeah it's funny, for some strange reason, used hobies are hard to come by, whereas you could pick up a paddle one no problem for that price range!

Personally, I avoid even demoing a hobie because I know I wont' be able to live without one once I get a taste!

Still, not sure if you have experience kayak fishing yet or not, but there is something special about getting out there, either paddling or peddling. I wouldn't let the high price of hobies price you out of kayak fishing. Plenty of us paddle and do just fine!

BigBo 11-29-2010 08:06 PM

There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the paddle vs. peddle decision. Exactly as Rockport24 said. Don't let it price yourself out of the game.
BTW; there is a Hobie Mirage Sport on craigslist located in Duxbury for $1250

quick decision 11-30-2010 05:41 AM

all good advive

kenyee 11-30-2010 09:48 AM

If you want to try first, you can also head up to Boston and try a fishing trip w/ Rick and Belle Isle Kayak. I wrote up my experience w/ him earlier this year in this forum.
I found the Outback crazy stable...leaned over to do tighter turns and it didn't feel close to tipping over...