Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Paint issue. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93379)

Higgie 02-15-2018 06:17 PM

Paint issue.

So I’ve been building for a few years now and my sealing process is a double dunk in Helmans cut with mineral spirits and then I do like 3-4 coats of spray can primer but when I go to airbrush I get crackling with airbrush paints through the airbrush. Usually end up using craft paints cut with water and get away with it but why does this happen?? Thanks in advance

pbadad 02-15-2018 06:59 PM

What's your water percentage of thinning? More than 30% makes for a greater paint molecule seperation and not maki g the paint to stay intact once sprayed. Using a medium to thin instead water helps the paint bind.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slipknot 02-15-2018 07:04 PM

what spray primer? lacquer? oil? Kilz?

maybe leave more time for primer to cure fully?

TheLureWasher 02-15-2018 09:15 PM

Any oil based primer will do that with water based paints if primer hasn't dried yet. It's super noticable with the pearl paints.

JLH 02-15-2018 10:41 PM

I would guess primer isn’t fully dry before airbrushing. How much time between the three coats of primer and how much dry time before airbrushing?

Higgie 02-16-2018 06:56 AM

I usually let the plugs sit for a good 7-10 days after sealing then after priming another 5-7 days before I paint. I would bet that it’s using an oil based primer I didn’t think of that Ill check tonight but i believe I used a 2-1 paint primer rattle can. Appreciate the advice. What do you use as a medium to thin pbdad? When I thin I typically just add as I feel necessary while when mixing the desired color.

Higgie 02-16-2018 06:58 AM

I’m sure it’s been discussed before but what are others using for primer.

pbadad 02-16-2018 07:57 AM

Higgie I use Painters Choice primer. 2 light coats 24hrs apart. Gray scotch pad wipe and paint. No issues. Createx 4012 reducer. Many createx opaque colors are too thick to shoot. Transparents and pearls require nom or less thinning.

Slipknot 02-16-2018 10:10 AM

Never use a combo paint/primer.
I used Kilz and I have used Bin

JLH 02-16-2018 10:18 AM

I currently use Bin and I have used Kilz. Never experienced any issues with either as a primer.

striperswiper75 02-16-2018 12:27 PM

I am by no means an expert with this as this is my first year w airbrushing. Last year I had issues with spray paint adhesion on some plugs. I traced it back to using a gloss primer instead of a flat primer.

Higgie 02-16-2018 12:39 PM

This makes sense because I have used killz in years past and had no issue. Thank you to everyone that’s chimed in. That’s why I enjoy this site so much.