Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Keeping lip slots clean (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94125)

TheLureWasher 09-03-2018 10:42 AM

Keeping lip slots clean

What is the best way or better way to keep the lip slot clean during finishing. Been using playing cards but looking for other ideas.

ProfessorM 09-03-2018 03:24 PM

i always preferred 1/2 an index card folded over to fit snug in slot.. the card will absorb any extra epoxy and and keep it clean. playing cards, shinny, will repel the epoxy and cause it to build up around the slot. Just got to remember to pull it out before it sets up. I've done it. Will ruin slot and plug.

TheLureWasher 09-03-2018 03:53 PM

Thanks Paul. Trying to catch a break with these. Bout ready to throw them in the fire. Between shooting boogers of paint to spilling an entire cup of finish, to now peeling 2 off of the melamine bench top. And trying to scrape off the crap on them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM 09-03-2018 03:59 PM

Haha. The fun of building plugs. We’ve all been there with screwing up in every conceivable way. Good luck.

Slipknot 09-03-2018 06:39 PM

I try to brush it out of the slot as best as possible then I used to just run one of those Japanese saws thru the slot after.
They are fishing lures, no amount of epoxy is going to save them from the beating they will be given. As long as they swim it doesn't matter to me.

striperswiper75 09-04-2018 09:38 AM

I paint, glue in the lip slot, wire and then finish with epoxy. I get some sporadic build up of epoxy around the lip at times, but not much. Also the lip also gives me a place to hold the plug when putting the epoxy on. I'm certainly not an expert in plug building, nor do I sell them so the final appearance isn't overly important to me.

pbadad 09-04-2018 11:16 AM

Kevin i too assembly lip plugs for same reason. Then onto dryer. Pikes dont get wired but lip screws secure lip in w/ epoxy.

Nebe 09-04-2018 02:16 PM

I used to use index cards that were wrapped in wax paper. The wax paper acts as a release

Diggin Jiggin 09-04-2018 06:00 PM

I dont epoxy first but sealer gets in there too. I have an old dull band saw blade that I've cut up with tin snips and just pull a short section of that that through the slot and wipe it off. If I dont catch it before it dries, or I'm refinishing pugs that have epoxy in the slot, I've held a piece of the blade in vice grips and heated it up with my little torch til its glowing and then pull it through, goes thru it very easily and the teeth pull it out.

JLH 09-05-2018 09:16 AM

I clear first and never have too much of an issue with it getting in the lip slot. I don't have a spinner and use two very light coats so they may be why. If some clear did get in the lip slot I just use a small coping saw to remove it and then when I add lips and wire the plugs I epoxy the lips on place which also ensures the lip slot is well sealed.

piemma 09-09-2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 1150169)
I try to brush it out of the slot as best as possible then I used to just run one of those Japanese saws thru the slot after.
They are fishing lures, no amount of epoxy is going to save them from the beating they will be given. As long as they swim it doesn't matter to me.

Slip, I do the same. I have a few of the Japanese saws and love them.

wrikerjr 09-10-2018 09:35 AM

This is a good use for old business cards. They are free (no reason to buy index cards).

O.D. Mike 10-04-2018 06:16 PM

I go to Staples and buy card stock and have them cut them into business cards. For the first application of epoxy I fold the card in the lip slot, after approximately 30 minutes, pull the card out and slide 1-3 new cards through the slot to clean out the epoxy that may have gotten inside the slot. My latest spinner has 10 switches making it easier to stop individual plugs so I can futz with them.