Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   This is a GREAT Beer.......... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68413)

Piscator 01-07-2011 09:18 PM

This is a GREAT Beer..........

1 Attachment(s)
Allagash Curieux (Aged 8 weeks in used Jim Beam Bourbon barrels)

So fare this is my favorite beer of all time (a far 2nd is Shipyard Pumpkin Ale),

It's a bourbon flavored ale. It isn't cheap but it is worth it for special occasions (like tonight).

From Allagash:
"In October of 2004, we released the first beer in our series of Barrel Aged beers, Allagash Curieux. To make the Curieux (French for "curious"), we age our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks in our cellar. During the aging process in bourbon barrels, the beer is totally transformed, and many new flavors and aromas develop. Most notably, the beer picks up soft coconut and vanilla characteristics with a hint of bourbon flavor!

O.D. Mike 01-08-2011 05:18 AM

Alchol content 5 or greater?

Raven 01-08-2011 05:52 AM

i like anything pumpkin
so if there's an ale made from it
i will be trying it...

but i'll be having it MID day
so i won't snore on it

JohnnyD 01-08-2011 09:21 AM

I like a lot of the Allagash beers. Was on an Allagash Black kick for a little while.

Saltheart 01-08-2011 11:21 AM

If its a tripel its way more than 5% ABV. My guess is double that , maybe more. Say 10 to 12. Now to me , a beverage that is made so strong then ages in boubon casks is no longer a beer. just cause a beer company makes it does not mean its a beer IMO. To me its a Barley Wine.

It does sound good though! :)

Piscator 01-08-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D. Mike (Post 825363)
Alchol content 5 or greater?

It's 11% :)

Piscator 01-08-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltheart (Post 825468)
If its a tripel its way more than 5% ABV. My guess is double that , maybe more. Say 10 to 12. Now to me , a beverage that is made so strong then ages in boubon casks is no longer a beer. just cause a beer company makes it does not mean its a beer IMO. To me its a Barley Wine.

It does sound good though! :)

Oh, it's a beer, not close to a barley wine. You need to try it.

Saltheart 01-08-2011 01:05 PM

Let me word it differently. All barley wines are "beers". However , something with that much alchohol and being aged in the bourbon casks a long time is going to pick up a taste profile that I would described as wine like.

One big factor would be its final gravity. i looked up the beer site that shows it has an initial gravity of 1.080. This doesn't make any sense if the ABV is 11%. ABV= OG-FG/8.06 or more easily estimated as , the gravity drop times 1.25 so its hard to get to 11% if the OG is just 1.080. it gets tricky at very high ABV levels because the alc has a SG lower than water (water being 1.00 ). Maybe they leave a little bourbon in those barrels. :) That would explain the ABV vs Gravity problem.

Anyway , I can't fingure the FG based on the data provided but what is shown , if accurate would in fact push it away from the high FG that is normally characteristic of Barley wine. In plain english , the data agrees with you that its a Beer Beer , not a barley wine beer. To me though the flavor profile is what makes it winey.

Hope you followed all that.

I see its a corked bottle like Chimay, Fin Du Monde, etc. That's cool! How much $ is it for a bottle and what size is the bottle?

Piscator 01-08-2011 03:51 PM

Wow, you know your stuff! Yea, too me it does taste like more of a beer, beer than a Barley Wine Beer but that doesn't mean it isn't scientifically a Barley Wine. It's a 750ML bottle. It is very pricey (similar to mid level wine) I was getting it at Blanchards in Marshfield for $14 a bottle but if you bought a case (which I did) they took off 15%. I also was on business in Portland ME and stopped at their brewery, they sold it for the same price as Blanchards. The bad news is when I was in Blanchards last, the price was $17 a bottle!!! That's a bit overboard for me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator 01-08-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 825366)
i like anything pumpkin
so if there's an ale made from it
i will be trying it...

but i'll be having it MID day
so i won't snore on it

In the fall try Shipyard Pumpkin Head Ale. My favorite by far out of all the Pumpkins I've tried.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

stcroixman 01-08-2011 05:44 PM

No thanks. I'll stick to my 16oz Ganestts.

Got to go grab another one now.....

Piscator 01-08-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stcroixman (Post 825574)
No thanks. I'll stick to my 16oz Ganestts.

Got to go grab another one now.....

I posted about this one becasue it's special but believe me, I love them all. Miller Light to the Fancy stuff like this. "Yuppy" stuff as Niko would say............

Saltheart 01-09-2011 01:51 PM

Wow, $14-$17!! That is steep. Definitely for Special Occasions only. :)