Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Vintage Lures (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Old Derby Prize Certificates (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=83675)

EricW 09-24-2013 08:05 PM

Old Derby Prize Certificates

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of Martha's Vineyard Derby prize certificates from 1977. I thought they were interesting so here they are. I did block out some parts of the mermaids? to make them pg rated.

Linesider82 09-24-2013 09:44 PM

those are cool, the derby is something I have not done but have great interest in the history, people, catches, old prizes, etc... thank you for sharing this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

vineyardblues 09-25-2013 02:24 PM

Looks like he had them in his wallet for a long time :)
They gave these out to weekly winners to be used at local shops on the island.
AFter these they changed to a derby printer paper format with only a few shop names listed.
As of today, they no longer issue any "funny money" just all kinds of fishing related stuff

Mr. Sandman 09-30-2013 02:21 PM

Derby bucks..you see them every so often. Now they give you a check.

EricW 09-30-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vineyardblues (Post 1015064)
Looks like he had them in his wallet for a long time :)
They gave these out to weekly winners to be used at local shops on the island.
AFter these they changed to a derby printer paper format with only a few shop names listed.
As of today, they no longer issue any "funny money" just all kinds of fishing related stuff

Thanks for the information. These are in pretty bad shape....I was surprised that they were only from 1977. Ive got stuff from the 50s in much better shape. My grandfather was 76 then. Glad he was still fishing the derby.

Nebe 09-30-2013 05:19 PM

Could you re-post this without the edited boobs please?? Thanks. :)

vineyardblues 10-01-2013 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1015763)
Could you re-post this without the edited boobs please?? Thanks. :)

I will have to find mine at home, my work computer only has this one :biglaugh:

Nebe 10-01-2013 07:48 AM

I think these are fantastically cool

PaulS 10-01-2013 09:55 AM

Much more fun than the paper checks.

Thanks

vineyardblues 10-02-2013 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
cell phone picture, sorry :)

Nebe 10-02-2013 12:48 PM

Awe come on you can do better. I want to use it as a screen saver. :)

Nebe 10-02-2013 12:48 PM

But thank you :)

PaulS 10-02-2013 01:45 PM

The woman looked crazy back then.

vineyardblues 10-02-2013 06:36 PM

Lol, so you want my personal stash......
My computer crashed in july.
It may take a while but i will post it for you when I can

Nebe 10-02-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks!

Swimmer 01-20-2014 06:11 PM

In September of 1986 my wife and I were driving from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown having just driven over the big bridge when she takes an envelope out of her pocketbook and asks me how many "fins" were in her hand. They were my winnings from the year before in the derby that I never bothered to count. I just looked and assumed about $200.00 worth. She started counting, and counting and counting. She stopped at $500.00. Everyone accepted the "fins" then. It sure made my "86" derby a lot nicer. I just scanned some of the last they issued of them on the computor a few days ago. The number on the bill is #25??. Originally called scales and then fins. I kept a bunch of them over the years for keepsake. You were awarded them for daily, weekly, and end of derby prizes. The other big prize I received at the "85" awards ceremony was a free weeks vacation at a cabin in West Tisbury. I only ever got one dirty look using them. It was when I paid the bill in the Navigator for dinner with them. Paid the tip in cash, and that still didn't bring a smile to the guys face, and it was a good tip.

Swimmer 01-20-2014 06:28 PM

The two I uploaded the other day that I mentioned in the previous post

3 Attachment(s)
These are newer thans Erics.

nightfighter 07-24-2019 04:45 PM

Cool old thread. Worth a bump, if only for Derby stories and talk for this coming Derby....

piemma 07-28-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 1029160)
In September of 1986 my wife and I were driving from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown having just driven over the big bridge when she takes an envelope out of her pocketbook and asks me how many "fins" were in her hand. They were my winnings from the year before in the derby that I never bothered to count. I just looked and assumed about $200.00 worth. She started counting, and counting and counting. She stopped at $500.00. Everyone accepted the "fins" then. It sure made my "86" derby a lot nicer. I just scanned some of the last they issued of them on the computor a few days ago. The number on the bill is #25??. Originally called scales and then fins. I kept a bunch of them over the years for keepsake. You were awarded them for daily, weekly, and end of derby prizes. The other big prize I received at the "85" awards ceremony was a free weeks vacation at a cabin in West Tisbury. I only ever got one dirty look using them. It was when I paid the bill in the Navigator for dinner with them. Paid the tip in cash, and that still didn't bring a smile to the guys face, and it was a good tip.

Nice story and a great memory