Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I want a new Truck.. one that wont make me sick. (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=35927)

MikeTLive 11-09-2006 10:13 PM

I want a new Truck.. one that wont make me sick.

HueyLewis, I am most definitely not.

I have a 96ram1500SLTExtendedCab,ShortBed,4x4,5.9L.
looking for recomendations on a replacment. I need reliable longterm transportation to get me to work and that has better MPG than what I have.

need to keep all the options the prior one had but not sure about sticking with dodge fullsize or going with dakota or another make/model.

really need a larger back seat to hold my sons who are now bigger than me. No way am I sitting in the back... unless its with my wife.
would be nice to be chaufferred around in my own truck...

it needs to have atleast the 6' bed so that I can toss my aluminum rowboat in it (and the 8+trash barrels every month when I do my trash and/or my folks trash run.

been considering a quad dakota

heres what I posted on <that other site with the lists for stuff>

low miles
4x4
15mpg city 18mpg highway or better
short bed
4doors
space for 2 adults in the back seat
front bench seat
power windows/doors/mirrors
no damage.
good to excellent condition.
around 20K

JohnR 11-09-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTLive (Post 432240)
HueyLewis, I am most definitely not.

I have a 96ram1500SLTExtendedCab,ShortBed,4x4,5.9L.
looking for recomendations on a replacment. I need reliable longterm transportation to get me to work and that has better MPG than what I have.

need to keep all the options the prior one had but not sure about sticking with dodge fullsize or going with dakota or another make/model.

really need a larger back seat to hold my sons who are now bigger than me. No way am I sitting in the back... unless its with my wife.
would be nice to be chaufferred around in my own truck...

it needs to have atleast the 6' bed so that I can toss my aluminum rowboat in it (and the 8+trash barrels every month when I do my trash and/or my folks trash run.

been considering a quad dakota

heres what I posted on <that other site with the lists for stuff>

low miles
4x4
15mpg city 18mpg highway or better
short bed
4doors
space for 2 adults in the back seat
front bench seat
power windows/doors/mirrors
no damage.
good to excellent condition.
around 20K

All of the above - I have a good condition 2004 F150 for less money, with more miles, 4 doors, full cap, and a Ford extended warranty up to 4 years / 100K miles. I'm going to be listing it for sale again soon. I drive mostly to work with it, 80M round trip per day, and need something economical

60K miles <18K

I don't believe Dodge has done much to improve the horrendous mileage issues that even the mid size Dakotas/Durangos had

ChiefLinesider 11-09-2006 11:05 PM

newer toyota tacoma/tundra. Quality trucks. Dont own one personally but they are very well made. Good gas mileage. the only trucks I would buy if i had the money.

MikeTLive 11-09-2006 11:13 PM

I am totally torn between the dakota or ram.
leaning to dakota hoping for better milage but really got used to the fullsize.
I hate being cutoff on the highway and I do the 128loop every day from scituate to waltham.
this sux. I need a car guy to hold my hand fer chrissakes.
what a wus.

BW from AZ 11-10-2006 12:18 AM

I can't live without a trailer. Cheapest all the way around. I have a Surburban , S10 Blazer ,Cavalier and a Neon (dang insurance costs).
Get something that gets good milage empty with a tow hitch. Once a month you can put up with low power an a drop in gas milage pulling the loaded trailer. Get a flatbed trailer with sides that the boat fits and it will handle all your barrels. my $.02
BW

crash 11-10-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTLive (Post 432240)
5.9L.

Its only going to get better from the 5.9, The new Hemi actually gets decent mileage, with the "multi-displacement" engine. Only down side is people yelling hey that thing gotta hemi! My buddy got ~16 mpg with his and drives agressively.

Karl F 11-10-2006 08:15 AM

first thing. is cleanse the dodge from yer brain ;)..
sounds like you got the mopar mania tho.. but the dakota ain't gonna save you that much fuel to consider it...
if you gotta go with the horns stay with the 1500 series..
But.. you might do better if you look at a
Toyo Tundra super cab (NOT the Taco), or buy John R's truck..:)
20 K limits you to used.. look around at 1/2 ton GMC/bowtie ex-cab. or super cabs too.. i got the Ford disease, but the newer ones, the beds are too high, and the sides too tall.. I'm vertically challenged ta boot... the GMC/bowtie's still sit low enough to reach into the bed..

econobox with a hitch and a nice trailer makes sense too, if you don't need a truck over 50 % of the time.

MikeTLive 11-10-2006 10:33 AM

if Im gonna go with a trailer approach then I would lean towards a Jeep.
any comments from jeep owners? BF?

crash 11-10-2006 10:51 AM

My wrangler doesn't tow enough, other than that I like it. With a manual trans, its really fun to drive. I think the doors should come off of anything that has 4wd. My fiance has the liberty with a 6 speed manual trans and its not bad, better than most other small suv's. Grand cherokee seems nice but $$$

Karl F 11-10-2006 11:52 AM

My Son has a GC, love it.. if I was gonna get a jeep, it would definatley be a GC.
His has the inline 6, and that is no longer available.. that would be the power plant I'd look for tho... ballsy, and reliable.

MikeTLive 11-11-2006 01:56 PM

took a close look at the dakota quads. the bed is way too small.
man. this sucks.

fishsmith 11-11-2006 02:12 PM

If you're not pulling much, I suggest going with something smaller and get a 4 x 8 utility trailer - that saves big $$ on fuel.

Uncle Matt 11-11-2006 07:41 PM

Without question, buy a Toyota. I'm buying a new Sequoia when I pay off my 2500HD.

5/0 11-11-2006 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTLive (Post 432249)
I am totally torn between the dakota or ram.
leaning to dakota hoping for better milage but really got used to the fullsize.
I.

I bought an 05 Quad Dakota last year & so far it's been very dependable,I just hit 25K this past week and haven't had an ounce of problems.I got the SLT 4X4 Tow PKG & the V8 It can tow up to 7K and the gas mileage isn't bad,on back roads keeping it under 50 Im getting 21-23 MPG & hwy under 75 I'll get 20 MPG.
Keep in mind the beds are just over 5' I wish they were a lil bigger.
Not to mention the rods look good in the back of it:hihi:

My Buddy just bought the 1500 Larime SLT Hemi Quad with the MDS power,it's pretty sweet @ 85 MPH he was getting 18.4 MPG.