Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   GOP Tax Overhaul (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93119)

Jim in CT 12-21-2017 08:16 AM

GOP Tax Overhaul

So despite liberal hysteria that all it was going to do, was make it easier for the wealthy to slaughter the poor and confiscate their meager possessions...what I see is some of the largest companies in the nation (Wells Fargo, Boeing, Comcast, AT&T) announce things like:

increasing minimum wage to $15
bonuses to non-executives
commitments to investing in growth, training, and job creation
increases in charitable giving

Oh, the horror!

I watched half-beast Rachael Maddow do a 15 minute segment on the growth of income inequality, as if conservatives strive for income inequality and liberals can contain it.

When the economy grows, I'm not sure income inequality can fail to increase. Because the wealthy have much more disposable income, they have a lot more money invested in things (like stocks and small businesses) that increase in value when the stock market increases. So if the stock market goes up 20% this year, that's great for me, but it's better for Warren Buffet, because he has zillions in the market and I don't. So it increases the difference between his net worth and my net worth.

And you know what? I have zero reason to give a damn about that. I say good for him. And it's also good for me. Because I know he's not going to bury that money he made, nor is he going to burn it. Eventually, he's going to pay some taxes with it, he's going to spend some, he's going to invest some, he's going to put some in the bank, he's going to give some to charity. ALL of that is good for the country.

It's not exactly "fair", I guess, that income inequality increases as the economy grows. But it's not inherently bad either. If Warren Buffet makes another million today, despite what liberals claim, that does not mean there's a million less for the rest of us to scrounge for. Aggregate wealth is not finite, it's not like a pizza. One person's wealth does not cause anyone else's poverty (very rare exceptions like crooks).

This may harm the country if it adds a lot to the debt, that is a question that can't be answered yet. But all the liberals who said this would only benefit the rich? Tell that to 200,000 AT&T employees who are getting a $1,000 Christmas bonus. 200,000 Americans can now pay cash for their Christmas presents. If that's not a good thing, I don't know what is. Good for them.

nightfighter 12-21-2017 09:10 AM

$1000 bonuses to be paid next week, IF bill is signed before Christmas. There is a very good chance it won't be signed before Christmas, as doing so will trigger a partial shutdown of Medicare.....

I am a little bit cynical of the bill as there is so much buried in it. Like the limitations on Medicare. And why 21% rate for corporations? When 25% would have still gone the distance to invigorate the economic engine? And why should the personal income tax benefits not be permanent like the corporate ones are? Who knows? They have gone all in with this notion of the economic boom the new law will generate to provide the dollars to close the deficit.... Both sides using smoke and mirrors. No one telling it straight. And that is what grates me the most.

Nebe 12-21-2017 09:23 AM

The tax bill won’t be signed and sealed until February so that Medicare won’t be defunded until after midterm elections.

Think about that for a while.

But thank god that they are gonna build that wall to protect us.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

DZ 12-21-2017 09:33 AM

The weeks leading up to this my RI reps were telling me the promised GOP tax break was a lie - it would be bad for me as someone in the Middle Class - my taxes would be increasing. Now they are dialing it back and telling me yes you will get a tax break but not as much as your rich neighbor. I'll wait for my first check in February and let you know who is telling the truth.

spence 12-21-2017 09:44 AM

Jim, shiny!

JohnR 12-21-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133822)
The tax bill won’t be signed and sealed until February so that Medicare won’t be defunded until after midterm elections.

Think about that for a while.

But thank god that they are gonna build that wall to protect us.

What midterm elections? The ones in November 2018? How will waiting until February 2018 to sign impact primaries in March thru June?? For a November Election?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ (Post 1133823)
The weeks leading up to this my RI reps were telling me the promised GOP tax break was a lie - it would be bad for me as someone in the Middle Class - my taxes would be increasing. Now they are dialing it back and telling me yes you will get a tax break but not as much as your rich neighbor. I'll wait for my first check in February and let you know who is telling the truth.

You mean you are not gonna die?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1133824)
Jim, shiny!

Hahaha

Nebe 12-21-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Enjoy your savings of a couple grand while the recession is triggered from people who will be effected negatively by this stop spending. Just wait and see what happens when all of the personal bankruptcies happen due to medical bills. And when the recession causes the stock market to tank, enjoy watching 20 to 30% of your life savings evaporate.

Your logic is like watching the glee from the kid who just bent over to pick up a $20 bill on ththe sidewalk only to walk right into a telephone pole.

JohnR 12-21-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Enjoy your savings of a couple grand while the recession is triggered from people who will be effected negatively by this stop spending. Just wait and see what happens when all of the personal bankruptcies happen due to medical bills. And when the recession causes the stock market to tank, enjoy watching 20 to 30% of your life savings evaporate.

Your logic is like watching the glee from the kid who just bent over to pick up a $20 bill on ththe sidewalk only to walk right into a telephone pole.

As opposed to bending over to pick up a 20 and having someone else take 50 out of your wallet while not looking. Now they are only taking 32.50 when you bend over

Jim in CT 12-21-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133827)

Did any of that happen when Bill Clinton cut taxes? Or is only a catastrophe when a Republican president cuts taxes?

Nebe 12-21-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1133828)
As opposed to bending over to pick up a 20 and having someone else take 50 out of your wallet while not looking. Now they are only taking 32.50 when you bend over

I think you need to evaluate who “they” are.

Jim in CT 12-21-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

The rich will make out better than the rest of us, that's the way the math works. That doesn't mean that regular folks won't benefit.

spence 12-21-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1133830)
Did any of that happen when Bill Clinton cut taxes? Or is only a catastrophe when a Republican president cuts taxes?

Macroeconomics Jim.

Jim in CT 12-21-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1133834)
Macroeconomics Jim.

Common sense, elementary school arithmetic, and honesty, Spence.

Nebe 12-21-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1133836)
Common sense, elementary school arithmetic, and honesty, Spence.

Is that your resume ? 😂😂😆

The Dad Fisherman 12-21-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133837)
Is that your resume ? ������

Well if it is, he is ahead of the kids coming out of college with a $200k degree in Gender Studies

Jim in CT 12-21-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1133841)
Well if it is, he is ahead of the kids coming out of college with a $200k degree in Gender Studies

agreed.

Sea Dangles 12-21-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Ha, not sure you saw that Easthampton schools have determined the word freshman to be offensive. It will be replaced with first year student. This is the America that some of our progressive and liberal members long for. What a country!

wdmso 12-22-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1133847)
Ha, not sure you saw that Easthampton schools have determined the word freshman to be offensive. It will be replaced with first year student. This is the America that some of our progressive and liberal members long for. What a country!

A public high school in Massachusetts is asking students to stop using the word “freshmen.”

did you read this on turtle boy : their lead Easthampton High School Kids Can’t Use The Word “Freshman” Any More Because It Offends The Gender And Sexuality Alliance Group..

are you disappointed in an inclusive America ??? nothing here is forced its in a handbook..

change with the times or be a dinosaur the gender thing is real and not going to go away a

from the actual ap story

Easthampton High School will transition the official language to “first year students” and ask students to use that phrase, WWLP reported Thursday. The decision came after a school’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance Group recommended the school handbook use gender-neutral language.

Free speech rights still reign, and students may continue to use the word “freshman” if desired, Easthampton Superintendent Nancy Follansbee said in a statement.

not sure how this applies to Taxes

scottw 12-22-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1133865)
A public high school in Massachusetts is asking students to stop using the word “freshmen.” any use of any word which contains the word man or men should be considered a microaggression

are you disappointed in an inclusive America ??? sometimes

change with the times or be a dinosaur the gender thing is real and not going to go away yes, at this rate we will have hundreds of gender identities to sort through in short order

Easthampton High School will transition the official language to “first year students” [COLOR="Red"]and ask students to use that phrase,.

I object to the word "first"...it could be taken to imply that one or some students are better than others...they need to find more "number neutral" language to truly be "inclusive"

Sea Dangles 12-22-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1133865)
A public high school in Massachusetts is asking students to stop using the word “freshmen.”

did you read this on turtle boy : their lead Easthampton High School Kids Can’t Use The Word “Freshman” Any More Because It Offends The Gender And Sexuality Alliance Group..

are you disappointed in an inclusive America ??? nothing here is forced its in a handbook..

change with the times or be a dinosaur the gender thing is real and not going to go away a

from the actual ap story

Easthampton High School will transition the official language to “first year students” and ask students to use that phrase, WWLP reported Thursday. The decision came after a school’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance Group recommended the school handbook use gender-neutral language.

Free speech rights still reign, and students may continue to use the word “freshman” if desired, Easthampton Superintendent Nancy Follansbee said in a statement.

not sure how this applies to Taxes

As usual you didn't understand the context of why I posted the story. But I will dumb it down for you. When tdf was talking about gender studies, I thought I would post a humorous example of the far reaching righteousness of our progressive educators. Nothing more,nothing less.

Nebe 12-22-2017 08:23 AM

It’s funny that the gender fags want to limit other people’s freedom of speech and ignore their first amendment rights. ;)

scottw 12-22-2017 08:42 AM

I read an interesting story the other day about a woman who had married a man who sort of identified as a woman and dressed the part, she was upset that she felt real lesbians were labeling her a "fake lesbian" because her wife was actually a dude dressed up as a chick....

Nebe 12-22-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1133871)
I read an interesting story the other day about a woman who had married a man who sort of identified as a woman and dressed the part, she was upset that she felt real lesbians were labeling her a "fake lesbian" because her wife was actually a dude dressed up as a chick....

seems legit.

Sea Dangles 12-22-2017 09:37 AM

Oh my
RIP #^&#^&#^&#^& Enberg

PaulS 12-22-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 1133875)
Oh my
RIP #^&#^&#^&#^& Enberg

How was the spa pizza last week?

scottw 12-22-2017 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133872)
seems legit.

there is nothing that is no longer "legit" :laugha:

It’s easy to laugh at a grown man in a rubber dog suit chewing on a squeaky toy. Maybe too easy, in fact, because to laugh is to dismiss it, denigrate it – ignore the fact that many of us have found comfort and joy in pretending to be animals at some point in our lives.

Secret Life of the Human Pups is a sympathetic look at the world of pup play, a movement that grew out of the BDSM community and has exploded in the last 15 years as the internet made it easier to reach out to likeminded people. While the pup community is a broad church, human pups tend to be male, gay, have an interest in dressing in leather, wear dog-like hoods, enjoy tactile interactions like stomach rubbing or ear tickling, play with toys, eat out of bowls and are often in a relationship with their human “handlers”.

In the documentary, we see Tom, AKA Spot, take part in the Mr Puppy Europe competition in Antwerp, a mix of beauty pageant, talent show and Crufts; David, AKA Bootbrush, talk to camera in a leather dog mask; two pups walk through London pretending to wee on lampposts to raise awareness of their identity; and lots of men jumping up for “treats”, barking and wagging their mechanical tails.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...o-live-as-dogs

JohnR 12-22-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133831)
I think you need to evaluate who “they” are.

They being the elected theives of both parties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133837)
Is that your resume ? 😂😂😆

Kinda - he is a professional accountant, no?

Quote:

200k debt in Gender Studies / Advanced Barista Tech

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1133871)

Where was that transitioning girl from a few years ago that was upset that other boys were not interested in her during or after transitioning? Not making a joke or snark. Generally interested in how it went.

I don't care if someone is gay / whatever - do what you want. Don't ask me to jump for joy for you or vote you Homecoming King/Queen. Don't ask, don't care.

Nebe 12-22-2017 11:47 AM

I’ll say this again. Trump is not signing this tax bill until 2018 so that when the cards fall, it will happen after the 2019 elections. Why would he do this if this is such a gift to all Americans?

Sea Dangles 12-22-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1133877)
How was the spa pizza last week?

Never made it Paul, life got in the way. It hasn't been great since 1985 to be honest. I am a Lynwood cafe guy for the most part

scottw 12-22-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1133889)
I’ll say this again. Trump is not signing this tax bill until 2018 so that when the cards fall, it will happen after the 2019 elections. Why would he do this if this is such a gift to all Americans?

great question...:hihi:

President Donald Trump signed his tax cut bill on Friday morning in the Oval Office with little fanfare in his final order of business before the start of his Christmas holiday away from the White House.

Calling it 'the biggest tax cut, the biggest reform of all time' he said 'the numbers will speak' for themselves when taxpayers start to see results.

'I think it's selling itself,' Trump said of the landmark legislation. 'It's becoming very popular. You'll see something on February 1 when they open up the paycheck.'

Rather than holding an elaborate signing ceremony in early January, he said he rushed to turn the bill into law before December 25 to honor a pledge to make tax cuts his Christmas present to the American people.