Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ball rasp's (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=34841)

capesams 09-24-2006 09:57 AM

Ball rasp's

For those of you who picked them up from salty...any feed back as to how their working out for you?..may need to look into it..txs

Tagger 09-24-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams
For those of you who picked them up from salty...any feed back as to how their working out for you?..may need to look into it..txs

was wondering same thing ... mine still got plastic stuck on it ..

capesams 09-24-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger
was wondering same thing ... mine still got plastic stuck on it ..

well! send it down an I'll get that plastic off, then I'll report back to u how she works.....11/4?

EricW 09-24-2006 11:56 AM

I got a 3/4" and mine works great. I also picked up some carbide rasps off the internet at a really good price. I believe the ones we got from salty are some type of HSS. I find even though the carbide is supposed to be sharper and harder that the HSS from salty cut better. It could just be that the carbide ones are Finer with smaller grooves and don't remove as much material. In the end, both work great. You don't even have to sand at all when you are done.

Take the time to set up some sort of jig or vise to hold your stock. That has worked out for me to get it started then I use my hands to shape. Once you get a little material taken out and take your time with it it doesn't slip and you can move the plug around to shape the mouth. I also learned from others that you shouldn't plunge down into the plug. You'll know you went to far if it starts to squeek. I just take out a little and then shape it by hand.

Eric

Karl F 09-24-2006 12:20 PM

works fine, like Eric sadi, don't plunge, you'll smoke it.

capesams 09-24-2006 12:46 PM

so what you fella's are saying is the flutes fill up fast and it doesn't cut anymore.....so stop, clean, an continue on.....I need something for the drill press.Jig's already set up.

ProfessorM 09-24-2006 01:54 PM

I use the thing in a bridgeport. I plunge in and have no problem. That is how my jig is set up so that is why I use it that way. I surpose I could tilt the head and bring the table up so I could use the side. Just not needed at this point. Just don't go too fast of you will burn it up. Cleaning out the chips is mandatory. p.

capesams 09-24-2006 02:41 PM

grapenuts

capesams 09-24-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
Capesams if you would like one of my balls I have one next to my keyboard in 1.25" size I could send you.

Salty's balls are the best balls :heybaby: :rotf3:

sure..send her along.I'll give it a spin...txs

any balls r better then what I got .

Karl F 09-24-2006 03:35 PM

CS.. speaking of balls

an older eyetalian fellah we know, asked me how capesams "shriveled eggplants" were doing? :hihi:

Slipknot 09-24-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams

any balls r better then what I got .

kinda personal don't ya think :rollem:

capesams 09-24-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl F
an older eyetalian fellah we know, asked me how capesams "shriveled eggplants" were doing? :hihi:

think their stuck in reverse..shouldda just had them bronzed and put on my mantle.

Diamond Tackle 09-24-2006 06:20 PM

I lost my balls for a while, but thank fully I found them again,& they are still shiny and brand new.:blush: When I use them I will post a full report.
Yes I think you need to cut from the side, and the proper drill press speed is essential. Hopefully your drill press is nice and tight with very little side slop in it,cause that woulld cause uneven cutting.
The Bridgeport Milling machine Idea is good, I just dont like to mix wood chips with steel and oil.

Charleston 09-24-2006 10:15 PM

If you predrill with a forstner your "balls" will do a fine job!

Striperhound 09-25-2006 06:09 AM

I would be in for a couple if a bulk order is put together again.

Diamond Tackle 09-25-2006 09:24 AM

i think i need a spare set of balls myself.
u know, in case I get married and lose a set.

stripercrazy 10-01-2006 10:09 AM

ha

I need balls:ss:

capesams 10-01-2006 01:25 PM

sitten here thinkin I gotta e-mail ya.....thing's dang sharp... ..no squeezen a salty ball..not without glove's on anyway :hee:

Backbeach Jake 10-01-2006 01:41 PM

2 words: Gold Bond = no more rasp.

outnumbered 10-03-2006 06:17 PM

Salty has a nice 3/4" ball althugh I always use a rubber glove when I touch the ball. It works great.